NFHS Changes Pitching Distance

MrSoftball

NFHS has officially adopted 43 feet as the pitching distance beginning in the 2010-2011 season. States may go to the new pitching distance this year if they so choose.

It will be interesting to see which (if not all) of the sanctioning bodies change their rules to match up with NFHS. I would hope they go to 43 feet for 14U and up.

See the following link: NFCA Press Release

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFHS has officially adopted 43 feet as the pitching distance beginning in the 2010-2011 season. States may go to the new pitching distance this year if they so choose.

It will be interesting to see which (if not all) of the sanctioning bodies change their rules to match up with NFHS. I would hope they go to 43 feet for 14U and up.

See the following link: NFCA Press Release

I hope that the TSSAA adopts this in the 2009-2010 season. Anyone know if they are set to meet anytime soon?

Emailed TSSAA today for a comment on this so I could do a story.

"Starting with the 2010-11 school year, the pitching

distance will be changed."

??“ Shonnie Speicher

Administrative Assistant

TSSAA

This is a great move that will help the high school game become more balanced! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I also hope ASA follow's suit with the 14U & 16U age groups quickly! My guess is that they would implement in the 2010 season. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

/ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this change made.

It's not a killer either way but I hope TSSAA gets proactive and goes ahead with the move for 2009-2010.

Why wait? We know it is coming. It is the same distance for everyone. Not that it matters to my kid either way really but I personally heard Van Steudamen of Alabama say they were recruiting pitchers primarily out of Florida because they had already gone to 43 feet. This was at the Chattanooga Fury/Ernie Parker clinic 2 years ago. If anyone else was there and heard that back me up here....

If a kid is going to play college ball it is an extra year to get used to it. If we move maybe more of our Tennessee kids have an opportunity to play college ball.

Look at it this way, in a few short months pitchers that have already signed will be competing at their college of choice with other kids for a starting position, wouldn't a season of throwing from 43 feet be to their advantage?

You can start your throwing program according to TSSAA rules a couple of months before the season anyway. Plenty of time to make the transition.

There is no real negative. Let's do it now.

It's not a killer either way but I hope TSSAA gets proactive and goes ahead with the move for 2009-2010.

Why wait? We know it is coming. It is the same distance for everyone. Not that it matters to my kid either way really but I personally heard Van Steudamen of Alabama say they were recruiting pitchers primarily out of Florida because they had already gone to 43 feet. This was at the Chattanooga Fury/Ernie Parker clinic 2 years ago. If anyone else was there and heard that back me up here....

If a kid is going to play college ball it is an extra year to get used to it. If we move maybe more of our Tennessee kids have an opportunity to play college ball.

Look at it this way, in a few short months pitchers that have already signed will be competing at their college of choice with other kids for a starting position, wouldn't a season of throwing from 43 feet be to their advantage?

You can start your throwing program according to TSSAA rules a couple of months before the season anyway. Plenty of time to make the transition.

I totally agree. Need to move now on this subject. My hope is that ASA will also do this at least at 16U but should be 14U as well. All other sanctioning bodies seem to be making the move.

I totally agree. Need to move now on this subject. My hope is that ASA will also do this at least at 16U but should be 14U as well. All other sanctioning bodies seem to be making the move.

I know this is a HS thread but Metal cleats also for ASA 14U and up

TSSAA faxed a notice to all high school (and middle school) coaches asking whether or not they are in favor of making the distance change for the upcoming year or waiting until the NFHS mandated year of 2010-2011. Replies are due back by August 3rd.

Yes, I was there and heard Van Steudamen say it.

I was for the move already, but after watching these games this week at the TSE in Murfreesboro, I am ready for the move now. These games have been more fun to watch. The left fielders get more action. The dominate pitchers still dominate, but they are getting more fly ball outs rather than strike outs. As a college coach put it to me yesterday, "That three feet is the equalizer." It's just a better game from 43'.