Tweak State Tournament Games

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the only result of state was to just come out with a winner, then I could agree with you, but one of the results of the state tournament is that the top two teams get to play in the Premier league the next year. That is very important in that both teams get very good competition and automatic entries into the next year state tournament with the top two seeds.

So while you might think it is complaining, I look it is trying to make it the best and fairest system for all the kids. We had a better system several years ago when we had the semis and that is still the fairest way to try and have the best two teams in the finals.

You make a good point. Getting the top two teams for premier league does make sense. Its not just the winner that needs to be considered.

The state has changed their rules again, last year it was the finalist and champion that would go through, unless a team in the state had won the premier league then they and the state champion would go through. Even if there was the room for a third TN team to enter the premier league the state decided that they would only put two teams in.

This year they have changed it, on the boys side at u-16 there are 4 teams from TN in the premier league and 3 in the u-18 age group. While this might be good for those teams, it also means that in the div 1 state league at u-16 only the top two teams can qualify for state.

This is why more teams are looking at not playing state. For a cost of $750, you have no idea how many games you are going to get, it could be as little as 3; with the way Premier is being done the seeding is based as much if not more on the previous year results; and the frustration of having to deal with a schedule that as of this date we still have no idea when we will have to play, so it is impossible to schedule any other games or tournaments.

• 1 month later...

Tweak it to make it fair? Let's see, if you play in the Premier League then you get to play Friday night and Saturday. If you finish in the top 2 in state league you play one game per day. If you finish in the bottom 2 of state league, you play 2 games on Saturday. Sounds fair to me. I guess the complaint comes if you finish as one of the top 2 teams in State League and have to play Saturday against a team that has not yet played. Do you really think that having not played is really that much of an advantage? Your playing against a team that you've probably already beaten in a State League game. In the end, the better team will find a way to win or get the result needed to advance. My question to you is how did your team prepare for State Cup? Did you play in major tournaments in which your team was one of the weaker teams in it and challenged every game? Or did you play in small local tournaments where your team was only challenged in the Championship game. You gotta come out ready to play every game regardless of the situation... that's what separates good teams from great teams.