PLEASE HELP A FELLOW WRESTLER OUT... PLEASE READ!!

I know you said this isn't what you want to hear, but, when all else fails, you have to make the best with what you have. If you can't practice with anyone else, watch as much wrestling as you can. When you're at tournaments, talk to wrestlers and coaches from other schools, and absorbe as much knowledge about the sport as you can. You may even look into odering clinical dvds on techniques that you want to improve upon, and then applying those techniques in your wrestling room.

I find that the best way to learn new moves and techniques is through learning them from others, and then mastering them on your own.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might also consider contacting Tony Rowland in Nolensville. He has a small practice facility at his home and works with guys from several different schools, some of which have recently been state champs.

I trained with Tony and I don't think he has trained any state champs, the closest, that I know of, was Chris Wolfe of Ravenwood. This is just in recent time though. He did train Josh Peck. He also wrestled on the olympic team. Was an all-american at UNLV and a national qualifier at MTSU as well. But not quite sure about state champions. Who were you thinking of???

Tony has a pretty solid group over there right now. Brennan Cox, Mc Coy Newberg, and about 4 more of the Independence kids train there. The 215 for Ensworth that placed 3rd is there until he leaves for college. He has 3 kids from Brentwood Academy and when I talked to Calloway last he was thinking of going. He has a few MLK kids including Lowe and Chandler. In the past as far as state champs, Adrian Norfleet 3 time state champ. I was 3rd in the state and I trained with him for 2 years. Marvin Allen 2nd in the state in 89 trained with him. Ronald Henry 3rd in the state trained with him. Mike Newman even trained with Tony. Michael Murray, state champ, Josh Peck, state placer, Tywan Armstrong, 2 time state champ, and the list goes on. Tony is good about switching things up and bringing the best out of the guys that he trains. It has nothing to do with a kids coaching, he just has a knack for finding the missing pieces in a wrestlers technique.

believe me, I am not taking anything away from him, he is a fantastic trainer. I saw him elevate certain wrestlers levels to higher lengths than they knew they had..... McCoy Newberg from Indy is a perfect example, he just took second at the NHSCA freshman nationals, Tony is a fantastic trainer and I would recommend him to anybody... Just dont get him rambling cause he'll go on for hours lol :thumb:

Your last statement is very true "Wrestling God". I talk to Tony on a regular basis (probably once a week) and he has never been shy to conversation. He is a fantastic guy and even though he is tough on his guys, he deeply cares about them and how well they perform. Oh, and speaking of Ryan, I'm pretty sure he worked a little with the Carletello's years ago also. If this kid wants to work with Tony he can email me at coachmick.hambrick@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to give him Tony's info. I've never known Tony to turn down any kid that truely wants to be good and succeed.

I didn't know that there was an olympian in Nashville, and he was an all-american at UNLV. Whats his background? How come he isn't coaching in the high schools. Heck for the matter if he was an olympian and college all-american he should have been the next head wrestling coach at UTC. Heck I guess Blackman should have gone after the Rowland guy. Did Blackman go after this guy? Why has no one ever talked about him before. I am getting the felling you guys are doing the same thing as the Blackman crowd did. Pull a funny on coacht! :thumb: