Did Dickie Brown make a mistake?

Antwan

Posted by diesel:

Did Dickie Brown make a mistake by taking the head coaching job in Sparta? Sparta has been outscored 137-41 in its first 3 games. That's an average score of 46-14 per game. It sounded like he had a pretty good thing going in Bledsoe County. He might be wishing he was back there by the end of the season. All I hear are good things about him. He runs a very tight ship, which I think is a good thing. Is Sparta really this bad? Does Coach Brown not have anything to work with? All I know is what I have read in the newspaper. It looks like he has some size with his players. Size doesn't mean anything, though, if you can't do something with it. Maybe Sparta's football program has slipped even further than I had realized. Someone out there comment. I'm going to go out to Sparta's first home game against Crossville so I can see for myself.

Give him a couple of years to determine that. From playing his teams at Bledsoe, he is a good coach. He definitely has an uphill battle in a program that has struggled for many years. I will say this...I am shocked that Livingston beat them that bad. :o What happened in that game? :confused:

Vince Lombardi would need a few years if he was taking over this program. The team has been down for years, and if you were in school at White County, would you rather play basketball or football...or not play at all?

If White County stays in its current region, it will always have a tough time in football. They should move up and play Warren County, Coffee County, Cumberland County, etc. And their gate would improve dramatically.

Posted by diesel:

Did Dickie Brown make a mistake by taking the head coaching job in Sparta? Sparta has been outscored 137-41 in its first 3 games. That's an average score of 46-14 per game. It sounded like he had a pretty good thing going in Bledsoe County. He might be wishing he was back there by the end of the season. All I hear are good things about him. He runs a very tight ship, which I think is a good thing. Is Sparta really this bad? Does Coach Brown not have anything to work with? All I know is what I have read in the newspaper. It looks like he has some size with his players. Size doesn't mean anything, though, if you can't do something with it. Maybe Sparta's football program has slipped even further than I had realized. Someone out there comment. I'm going to go out to Sparta's first home game against Crossville so I can see for myself.

• 11 months later...
It has taken 12 months but it looks like this question has been answered...loud and clear!!!! great job warriors.

By the way, how is his old school Bledsoe county doing ?

Bledsoe County finished 3-7 last season and will be lucky to do that good this year. This year they are (0-2) have been beaten by York Institute (34-6) & Sequatchie County (32-0) they play there first Home Game this week against Whitwell!

I will say this. I was also a doubter of Coach Brown when I heard about his hiring in White Co. I knew he always had competitive teams at Bledsoe but I wasn't sure he could take the cellar dwelling Warriors to the promise land. In his second season, he has proved to me that with the proper tools (coaching staff) and some dedicated kids, that he can make any team into a winner. Now, I expect a lot of people to jump on here and say, "They have only played 3 games, how can you say they are a winner?". My comment is, for the last 10 years Sparta would have considered 2-1 at this point in the seaon a miracle. Kudos to Coach Brown for getting White County headed in the right direction. I also think that Principal Dycus, School Superintendent Donny Haley and the entire White County School Board deserve some recognition for bringing in a coach for the long haul. White County might not be in the promise land, but they can definetly see more than a dusty cellar this year.