Fulton vs. Powell - Week 1

osunut2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ..powell could have very easily won this game .. Falcons looked to be sleep walking most of the night ... and the 120 yards in penalties by a official's crew that evidently loved to be seen and be a part of game ... they missed numerous plays .. a fumble by number 2 for Powell was ruled down and the picture in knox news clearly shows ball coming loose and everybody knew it but was over ruled by refereee who as you can see in picture is in no way in a position to make call .. and I dont know how many times the DE's for Fulton were held and not called .... Fulton looked and played tired .. if they had played with same energy as they did at M West last week ..I think Falcons would have won by 21 or so points ... but besides all the penalties the Falcons did have more yardage and powell had more 1st downs ... powell had chances to win but couldnt .. I think if they played again it would be 28-7 or so ... with a different officlal's crew .. man I saw more yellow last night .. the game got over about 10:15 or so ... all other games were done .... longest game I ever been too with all the flags .... good luck powell .. got a young team .. and Fulton still has a ton of Jr's and Sophs playin so both teams should be improved next year .

Tad, I know that you have a lot of football knowledge, but I detect a bit of Falcon bias in your post, and I understand that.

The fact is that Powell had 9 penalties for some 95 yards, themselves. The flags weren't flying in just one direction. The game was poorly officiated, in my opinion, but it was poorly officiated both ways. There were plenty of flags thrown, and there were possible infractions on both sides that weren't called, too. Those things tend to even themselves out.

You failed to mention Powell turnovers being a factor. One couldn't watch the game with any kind of opened eyes and not see that Powell had a great shot at scoring a couple of times if they didn't turn it over, and at least one of them - the fumble by the receiver who was inside the 15 - was unforced. Watch the film - he just dropped the ball trying to move it from one hand to the other. If he breaks an arm tackle there and scores or if Powell punches it in from around the ten if a tackle is made, it's a different ball game, and especially considering that Fulton took it the other way and scored on the possession after the fumble. That was a 14 point swing. Turnovers were the primary difference in the game.

That said, no excuses from the Powell side. They didn't make the plays they needed to, and Fulton did. Fulton won the football game.

Tad, I know that you have a lot of football knowledge, but I detect a bit of Falcon bias in your post, and I understand that.

The fact is that Powell had 9 penalties for some 95 yards, themselves. The flags weren't flying in just one direction. The game was poorly officiated, in my opinion, but it was poorly officiated both ways. There were plenty of flags thrown, and there were possible infractions on both sides that weren't called, too. Those things tend to even themselves out.

You failed to mention Powell turnovers being a factor. One couldn't watch the game with any kind of opened eyes and not see that Powell had a great shot at scoring a couple of times if they didn't turn it over, and at least one of them - the fumble by the receiver who was inside the 15 - was unforced. Watch the film - he just dropped the ball trying to move it from one hand to the other. If he breaks an arm tackle there and scores or if Powell punches it in from around the ten if a tackle is made, it's a different ball game, and especially considering that Fulton took it the other way and scored on the possession after the fumble. That was a 14 point swing. Turnovers were the primary difference in the game.

That said, no excuses from the Powell side. They didn't make the plays they needed to, and Fulton did. Fulton won the football game.

The single play of this game that still stands out in my mind is the fumble by the Powell wideout inside the 15. The News-Sentinel was completely incorrect when they stated that the ball was stripped and fumbled. The receiver caught a slant, broke a tackle, and there was no one between the receiver and the end zone - he just flat out dropped the ball on his way to a touchdown. There were two Fulton DBs trailing the play, and one of them fell on a gift-wrapped fumble. Not only was that a 14 point swing, but that took all of the momentum out of Powell's sails. Powell was running the ball at-will before that play, and they couldn't get anything going after that turnover before halftime. Kudos to the Panthers for driving the ball almost 90 yards on the opening drive of the second half and for staying in the game. That two-platoon system did its job in the second half, because the Fulton defense was completed exhausted in the 4th quarter.

Fulton made the plays they needed to make to win that game, and they made Powell pay on two of those fumbles in the first half (I do agree that Fulton got jobbed on that fumble that was ruled down by contact). Penalties were a problem for both teams. There were holding calls that were not whistled on both teams. Dametrius Thomas was the star for Fulton. The Falcons could have run that sweep play all night long. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't, because Powell couldn't stop it.

This was a great game to watch, and either team could have come out on top. Fulton made the plays they needed to, however, and they earned the W.

You guys are correct in saying that there was a Powell fumble that was ruled down by contact. However, Fulton wasn't truly hurt by it at all. The very next play, Powell once again fumbled, recovered by Fulton. Just too many rookie mistakes on offense by Powell to win the game. Fulton did a great job of capitalizing. However, the future (not just next season, but later this season, in my opinion) looks very bright for Powell. They were running not just a ton of sophomores, but multiple freshmen out there, and still had multiple opportunities to make the plays to win the game. Some very talented youngsters out there for the Panthers.

You guys are correct in saying that there was a Powell fumble that was ruled down by contact. However, Fulton wasn't truly hurt by it at all. The very next play, Powell once again fumbled, recovered by Fulton. Just too many rookie mistakes on offense by Powell to win the game. Fulton did a great job of capitalizing. However, the future (not just next season, but later this season, in my opinion) looks very bright for Powell. They were running not just a ton of sophomores, but multiple freshmen out there, and still had multiple opportunities to make the plays to win the game. Some very talented youngsters out there for the Panthers.

Good point, and accurate. Powell is young - especially offensively where they are currently starting 6 sophomores. On the other side of the ball, they have started 6 seniors. There is some experience on defense.

The bottom line is that Fulton won the game Friday night. It's time to move on to this week, which is a much bigger game given that it is a district game, and even bigger because it is a district game with Powell's biggest rival in Halls. There is a huge difference in starting out district play 1-0 and starting 0-1.

History shows that the winner of this game has had a leg up in qualifying for the playoffs. Since head to head is the first tiebreaker in determining making the playoffs and in seeding, this week is makes it a pretty darned big football game.