Fulton vs. Powell - Week 1

osunut2

Powell didn't get much of a challenge from SD on Friday, but the Panthers looked pretty rusty themselves. I'll chalk a lot of that up to it being the first game of the season. The two-platoon system definitely wore out the Cherokees in the second half.

Fulton picked up a big win against Morristown West, so I have to think that they are picking up where 2007 left off. What are everyone's thoughts on the Fulton-Powell matchup this Friday night? Do the Panthers have a decent shot to beat Fulton, or will the Falcons be too much?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This group of Powell players has had some classic battles with this group at Fulton. From John Tarlton to middle school. Powell has had about as many wins as losses against them. It's usually a hard fought contest. But over the years the complexion of the teams has changed somewhat, with transfers and such. I support the Panthers, so I have a hard time predicting a defeat. However, Fulton looks to me to be a much improved team over last year, when they started 14 sophomores. Powell has to find some offense, I don't put too much stock in the 31pts at S.Doyle when contemplating how that equates into points against a team like Fulton. So, let me stop short and just say, I believe it will be an upset if Powell wins. But there are upsets practically every week. Go Panthers.

Fulton looked really good against a good Morristown West team.#1 for is an amazing running back.He's shifty,explosive,and will punish a defense.They had a good passing game with Winters too.Fulton made big plays on 3rd and long.The defense also looked good.i haven't seen powell this year but I've herd their pretty good though.If Powell wnts a chance of winning they Have to stop big plays and wrap up #1.

Good luck to both teams

Powell 17

Fulton 28

I do wonder how Powell will handle Fulton's speed. I hate to say it, but last week's game wasn't a good indication of what we will likely see from the Panthers in district play. The Panthers have a tough 4 game stretch starting with Fulton this week (Halls, OR, and AC are the next 3), so they will have to come together in a hurry.

That being said, I expect to see a crisper Powell offense this week (less turnovers and penalties), but defense will be the key against a team like Fulton. The Falcons have a potent offense that is very balanced. I expect Fulton to open up the passing game, once they've established the run. If the Panthers can find a way to contain the Fulton running attack, they have a chance in this game. The Falcons don't have a kicking game, so the Panthers must embody the "bend don't break" mentality.

One statistic that could play a factor in a game like this is depth. Powell continues to run a two-platoon set, and it has paid dividends. Will that play a factor in this game?

My prediction: Fulton has too much speed on offense and defense - Fulton 28 Powell 17

I feel pretty good about Fulton's game against a very physical Morristown west. Morristown's Defensive front was very strong and highly skilled up the middle. Their performance should build some confidence in this Falcon team on a mission. Powell is a young team, but a dangerous one when you include the X-factor. Coach Smitty...(AKA-"Final Cut Pimp") from the hood knows his X's & O's and will have them prepared. Smitty wants this win bad... and that's scary. Smitty is ferocious when full of testosterone... don't be surprised if he uses that sun visor and pulls a Tonya Harding on D-Man's shin as he streaks down the sideline. Good luck to both teams... just keep it safe.

Go Falcons!

HTV, any plans for a stadium "re-dedication" this Friday, or will that be coming later on?

Not that I am aware of at this point. I left for a family beach vacation at 5 AM Saturday and will be returning tomorrow (Thursday) evening. I'll find out and let you know when I get back in town and talk to Coach Lowe and the AD.

I do know that the "finishing touches" are being done as we converse, according to a couple of emails and text messages I have received today. It was "iffy" for a while whether or not the game was going to be played at Powell, but those fears look to have been laid to rest.