High School Coaches running summer ball

9diamondhounds

I am not sure how this money issue started getting so much attention and getting thrown out of whack. There is a certain, MINIMUM amount of money that it takes to run a succeful program. That is what the coaches in Columbia asked the parents to raise. Some of the parents started complaining about the amount of time they were putting in to raise money. From what I have been told, the coaches came up with the amount of money the program needed to do the necessary things. Umpires, travel, uniforms, baseballs, fungos, catcher's gear, field maintenance, caps, belts, socks, etc. They divided that among the number of parents and the total came to $800. They required each set of parents to raise $800 and gave them numerous options on how to accomplish that. This was done to minimize the amount of time the parents had to spend on fund-raising. NEVER did they say you had to pay $800. That is certainly an option if you wanted to. I know that I would write a check for $800 if that is all I had to do. Some would rather work for it which is fine too. The problem with everything is, if you look at all of the schools in columbia's region, they are in the bottom third as far as fundraising goes and they still complain. To get back on the summer topic, however, the fee was, I believe, $250 per family. That includes parents with two kids on the team. They played about 25 double headers and several other tournaments. Every player, jv and varsity, got about 30 games. I don't know for a fact, but I would guess that by the end of the summer, the coaches were paying for things out of their own pockets and it was probably more than $250. He catches a lot of crap and the parents have no clue what he does behind the scenes for that program. People in Columbia don't know how good they have it right now. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. If they run him off, that program will be in for a rude awakening. I doubt the next coach will do some of the things he has done for the people there that no one has any clue he has done. Obviously, I am not talking about all the parents in Columbia, but unfortunately it is usually the acts of a few that hurt everyone in the end.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No high school coach should be allowed to dictate where a kid plays during the summer. It should clearly be a personal decision of the kid and parents. A kid will see more scouts in 1 week of Perfect Game than he will in 4 years of high school ball. Why would a high school coach put a kid in a box and not allow him/her to see whats out there? Trust me, a kid will never forget playing on the big stage at East Cobb. The number of schools that can take a team and travel during the summer are very few. Bottom line, high school kids should have the choice without repercussions from the high school coach.

I don't know if you've been to east cobb, but I'll assume you have since you brought it up. But unless you're a top level team playing at the east cobb complex, you're probably not getting seen. There are simply too many teams playing at too many venues. Those tournaments are set up to bring the top level teams to a close proximity for scout's convenience. The rest of the teams are there to make a profit from.

Second, the overwhelming majority of college level players in middle tennessee will attend some junior college or school in the area. My opinion is that it's much more beneficial to attend as many tournaments within the region where those college scouts will be at.

The point is, a high school coach who wants to have complete control over his program will run some type of summer deal. It's just his choice. It doesn't mean you're going to be more successful, but it probably does more harm than good in most cases.

:thumb: I was following you up until the last sentence.

I don't see how it does more harm than good for kids to play for the h.s. coach during the summer.

I can see where a summer program other than the one the h.s. team is running might be more beneficial for an individual player, depending upon the competition level and all. I can see the benefits of a change of scenery, a different approach or playing some different teams.

It seems to me that 'mandatory' is what folks are mostly concerned with in addition to not having a choice.

I have been following this thread and it is an excellent topic. There have been many valid points (arguements) for both positions. This seems to be becoming a heated issue and I hear more and more people talking about this the past few years. Since this is based on opinion and this forum is to give opinions then I will give mine: There is not one right answer. You can line up 100 people and have 50 on each side of this arguement and in most cases (not all) they will have valid points that are correct. It all depends on the opportunties, the program the high school runs in summer, what the they are trying to accomplish, the talent level of the player. More and more high schools are starting to have summer programs of some type. Most have different approaches to it. I have spoken to coaches that want thier good players that have a chance to get to the next level go play on competitive travel teams so they can get more innings and develop the younger or less skilled players which makes thier team better in two ways - 1) by having the good players get better with tough competition 2) more individual time with younger and less developed kids to make them better. Other coaches keep the team together yet allow thier good players go to competitive tournaments if given a chance. Every situation is different therefore there is no one answer. If a kid is moving from 3rd to short stop because of a team need on his high school then he needs to be with his high school to develop that skill and chemistry. If a kid is a good pitcher and has a chance to get to the next level as a pitcher only then go face the best bats you can to test yourself and get better which will in turn make your high school team better. If your high school is playing those same teams and a tough summer schedule then that is the best of both worlds. The high school program that only plays other high schools is just an extension of the regular season and you don't gain anything from that (in my opinion). As for the money - that is a family choice. If a family wants to travel then that is thier choice - say what you want about having to do it but you do have a choice and if you choose to do it then shut up about money. East Cobb charges a fee just to try out and then goes up from there (or at least they use to). Would they have paid for college over the years, probably BUT there are so many other things that go along with that than just money. Our family vacations were wrapped around baseball and the time we spend on the road as a family are memories my wife and I and my kids will have long past baseball. That has been our choice and I would not do anything differnt.

• 2 weeks later...