Mid Tennessee Classic

CheckerboardEndzones

Did that just come to you or was did it come some time ago. It was evident that everyone was not on the same page originally. It is also obvious that the sport has come a long way in what many think is a short time. That being so some have ideas at the last minute to effect the betterment of the game. The matches with the Mid Tenn arguably were made to give Schools in the STATE the opportunity to have a Boro experience before the Districts and Regionals and get the feel for the STATE. It generally included schools that thought they might have a chance to make it to State plus others who wanted to play with the competition for future years. Adding another division made a difference and I could name other issues . The event can remain the same size and if someone else wants to have an event so be it. It evidently was an awesome thought of bigger is better and another thought to wrestle the event from where it is that has brought us to this point. The Boro has 4 2000+ student schools. Able to spread out the Divisions. Change happens. Meetings have been going on most of the day, I think. If everyone has had their say about the matter, the Attitude should be whats best for the sport, not for any individual, school, organization or business. Taking the sport away from schools in a school setting and dumping it in to a business is a big step. Its one who's door was opened with a third party organization bidding for the Spring Fling and the TSSAA saying it was all right to do it.

Tournament play is a way of life for volleyball play. It's a way many schools finance their programs at a sport which is expensive every time one turns around. It's a way schools can reciprocate with attending events at anothers school to help finance events. It is a matter of money. It was never meant to be an event that would concentrate play in one third party area although Club Play in huge events with very high entrance fees prompted the private sector to think this could be a great thing. It might be.

Most will support things that will make the sport better. Despite all the comment, its still growing and arguably and getting better quality wise too. Whether this is the right thing to do or the right facility or the right whatever it would be,its hoped the right decision is for the best of the sport. It looks to me the TSSAA and the schools will have something to say about this whole issue and the waythe sport is organized. Why can't a school move a tournament anywhere. The precedent is being set right now and competing tournaments even from neighboring towns might go head to head and who referees that and how do school boards make those decisions to move the events and who are the winners in those situations. I guess that is private enterprise.

I have seen what has happened happen. i have watched some fine events spawn and i am open minded enough to say bring it on. i am also open minded enough to remember all of the schools who have events and their cohorts who help them finance their programs. Volleyball, like all HS sports programs is built on supporters in each town and each school and as long as that is not taken away from High School Sports it will grow. If that is forgotten, not sure where the financing is going to come from.

For your information,CB, I have to take the postion for the Schools, parents, patrons and fans who support the Sport in their schools locally and ANYTHING that will help the sport grow, whatever that is. This is not CLUB, this is school and it might not be good to make a commercial venture out of it butpeople will make the right decisons and moves to make the Sport better. This will eventually be a TSSAA issue and a Board of Control issue as it effects more than one high School sport.

bad move very bad...teams sign up for this to play in Murfreesboro... can't believe an employee of a Rutherford county school would move all of these hotel rooms and the taxes to Williamson County... Hope she doesn't expect a raise next year...oh that's been handled!!!

Announcements