Friday, August 28, 2009

1. Justin Maclin

Ridgeway

LB, 6-4, 227

Committed to LSU

2. Damien Robinson

Olive Branch

OT, 6-7, 330

Offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida State, Miss. State, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Southern Miss, UAB

3. Barry Brunetti

MUS

QB, 6-2, 210

Committed to West Virginia

4. Shon Coleman

Olive Branch

OT, 6-7, 275

Committed to Auburn

5. Harrison Jones

ECS

TE, 6-4, 230

Committed to Alabama

6. Keiwone Malone

Mitchell

WR, 6-1, 165

Committed to Alabama

7. Jonathan Brown

CBHS

LB, 6-1, 225

Offers from Kentucky, Illinois, LSU, Memphis, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt

8. Ferlando Bohanna

Whitehaven

LB, 6-2, 226

Offers from Clemson, MTSU, Miss. State, North Carolina and Southern Miss.

9. O.C. Brown

Manassas

OG, 6-2, 312

Offers from Arkansas State, Colorado, Kentucky, Marshall, MTSU, Southern Miss and Tennessee State

10. Fred Harvey

White Station

LB, 5-11, 210

Offers from Alabama, MTSU, Stanford and Texas Tech

Others receiving interest

Corey Acosta, CBHS (K, 6-0, 162); Stephond Allmond, MUS (Ath., 5-9, 165); Quinton Alton, Hillcrest (TE, 6-6, 245); Kevin Barfield, Frayser (Ath., 5-9, 170); Cortez Bowen, Trezevant (OLB, 6-3, 210), committed to Southern Miss; Dylan Burnett, Brighton (K, 6-0, 170); Julian Burton, White Station (WR, 5-11, 178); Marquette Dockery, Hillcrest (DB, 6-3, 205); Fred Flenorl, Whitehaven (QB, 6-1, 167); Tony Jefferson, Whitehaven (RB, 6-2, 185); Corey Jones, Mitchell (DE, 6-5, 240), committed to Kansas; John Jordan, ECS (OG, 6-4, 270); Desi J. Lane, Ridgeway (WR/DB, 6-3, 190); Desi T. Lane, Ridgeway (DE, 6-4, 205); Eric Lawson, Olive Branch (OT, 6-6, 320); Keith McBride, MUS (RB, 6-0, 205); D.J. McNeil, Briarcrest Christian (RB, 6-2, 198); Chaz Moore, Whitehaven, (DB, 5-9, 150); Lawrence Peterson, Melrose (OLB, 6-2, 227); Rodregus Scruggs, Mitchell (OT, 6-5, 280); Keyshun Shipp, Olive Branch (RB, 5-11, 215); Devin Silas, Mitchell (DE, 6-1, 195); Deandra Simmons, White Station (OG, 6-2, 265); Steven Stafford, ECS (DE, 6-3, 225), committed to Dartmouth; Sir Gregory Thornton, Germantown (RB, 6-0, 195); Brandon Timmons, Olive Branch (ILB, 6-3, 245); Bakari Trotter, Horn Lake (WR, 6-4, 185); committed to Memphis; Kyron Tucker, Ridgeway (DB, 6-0, 162); Eric Watson, Melrose (RB, 5-10, 210); Reggie Williams, Olive Branch (DE/LB, 6-1, 255).

-- Compiled by prep reporter Jason Smith

This list is still missing some guys like Jazzy Parker and Jamison Knox from East, as well as, Dieon Woods over at Kirby. There are probably a few more missing. Anybody from the Memphis-Metro area see some guys you know D-1 schools are after who aren't on this list? I count 9 verbals and it is still August.

I was prompted to post this because of the "Dissed by Kiffin" post. As you can see ... Kiffin may diss Memphis ... but that's not hurting recruiting any. It seems that Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Kentucky and a host of other schools like Memphis area student athletes just fine.

Here is the link to the story on CA's website.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -recruits/

• 2 weeks later...

White Station's Harvey commits to Texas Tech

By Jason Smith, Memphis Commercial Appeal

Thursday, September 10, 2009

White Station senior linebacker Fred Harvey figured there was no need to wait any longer to make his college commitment. So instead of waiting for Texas Tech assistant coach Dennis Simmons to call him, as Simmons had been doing weekly on Mondays, Harvey decided to make the call to Lubbock, Texas.

"I had been praying a lot, and then I talked to my dad. The first time I brought up Texas Tech, he had said something about the distance," Harvey said Thursday.

"Then, Monday night, he and I got to talking and I brought it up again. He said, 'Boy, that's Big 12. I'll come see the games if you decide to go there.'"

"So I told him, 'Dad, I'm ready to commit (to Texas Tech) and go ahead and get it out of the way. ... There's no point in waiting."

Harvey (5-11, 230), who also had offers from Alabama, Middle Tennessee and Stanford, said Texas Tech has recruited him since his sophomore season, and was the first school to offer him a scholarship.

"The first time I ever talked to coach Simmons, he had told me that whenever they were able to send me a scholarship offer, they were going to do it," said Harvey, who tallied 78 solo tackles and 21 sacks as a junior last season.

"Out of all the schools, (Texas Tech) recruited me the hardest. They made sure I always had e-mails coming from them. ... It's like they were really working hard, wanting me to come there."

S c o u t.com rates Harvey a three-star prospect and the No. 87 outside linebacker prospect nationally. R i v a l s.com also rates Harvey a three-star prospect, as well as the No. 19 overall prospect in the state.

-- Jason Smith: 529-5804

Oh well, another City of Memphis football player going to the Big 12! I wish the young man well.

• 2 months later...

Just Like I thought ... Anthony "Red" Hayes for White Station isn't on this pre-season list because at the beginning of the season he was an unknown. After winning the 6A Mr. Football award this season and leading his team to win the 6A state championship game, I wonder where he ranks now?

• 2 weeks later...