8th graders elgibility

soccernut151

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I think it is. 8th graders can play on the varsity if the middle school is "on the same campus" as the high school. But once the 8th grader plays, he or she is subject to the same transfer rules as 9-12th graders. That is, if the player plays in 8th grade at one school, then transfers to another school, the player must wait 365 days from the last day played at the old school before playing at the new school.

Have you looked at the TSSAA web site?

Seems to me if a player opts to play varsity in 8th grade, they are taking one of their 4 years of eligibility and should not be able to play in their senior year. Why should we penalize all of those other players and give only a select few players an extra year of competition/experience. I was turned down eligibility to play varsity for that reason many (many) years ago.

I don't think there is an eligibility rule, as in 4 years only. I think it comes from baseball and football where good athletic have gotten to play more because of necessity that greatness. I think, as regards to soccer, if there was a 4 year rule, you would never see an 8th grader.

If my daughter/son is at a school with middle and high schools at the same location and your son/daughter is at Tiger Woods Middle on Main Street and the Tiger Woods High School is on Second Street, how do you make that the determining factor????

Quite simple. Achieving Freshman status (9th grade), you are now eligible to participate in organized High School Athletics. You are at an age considered physically strong enough and mentally tough enough to deal with 18 & 19 year-olds on a field of competitive play. In order to compete with other programs, you would need to demonstrate to your coach that your talent (plus physique and mental capabilities) exceeds that of other upperclassman from your own program and it would be in his opinion and that of your parents that you can compete. That behind you, when you are runover by someone who is 5-6 years older than you and and twice your physical size that you consider it all a part of the game and not to look at the ref for the sympathy that bigger mean girls shouldn't be permitted to do that to a girl half their size. I think in club ball that may be why they group all the soccer players by age such that these events don't normally take place, but only by some freak of nature.

well said. And yes, that is one reason select is a different creature. I brought up this 8th grader only because we were needing another player and I worked with her in ODP this summer, know her former club coach well, and realized she had the athleticism and ability to help our varsity team.

I don't think there is an eligibility rule, as in 4 years only. I think it comes from baseball and football where good athletic have gotten to play more because of necessity that greatness. I think, as regards to soccer, if there was a 4 year rule, you would never see an 8th grader.

If my daughter/son is at a school with middle and high schools at the same location and your son/daughter is at Tiger Woods Middle on Main Street and the Tiger Woods High School is on Second Street, how do you make that the determining factor????

There 4 year rule says that you have 4 years of eligibility once you begin HS. As mentioned above, as long as the HS is on the same campus as the MS, an 8th grader can play (Section 8 of the bylaws). I would venture to say that the thought behind it the MS and HS having to be on the same campus has something to with avoiding recruiting.

Just doesn't seem fair to me. Either they should be allowed to play in 8th grade for the school district they are in or they shouldn't be allowed to play. Makes absolutely no sense that because they are on one campus it is ok. I have been around quite a few 8th graders that could have played on high school teams. Not to take away from those that have the ability and are doing it but it still doesn't seem fair.

While I have made use of this rule on my squad, I do wonder the reasoning behind putting it in place to begin with.

Was it a "numbers" issue?

Was it a "talent" issue?

I know the rule has been in effect for 8 years (don't know before that), but does anyone know when it originated?

The rationale for the "campus" rule might be as simple as making it safe and convenient for the 8th grader. If the player has to somehow get from a school a couple of miles away, it becomes a time and safety issue.

I agree that it still seems a little strange and perhaps unfair that you can only play if you are "on campus".