any thoughts on CAK/GPS

goaliefan

GPS plays on a nice big pitch which will benefit CAK because they are used to the large space plus they are skillful and fast. GPS lost their superlative central defender (Josie Rix who is now at U. of Alabama), so I would expect them not to be as strong as last year. This may be CAK's year, though GPS is at home and they have a proud soccer tradition of their own.

This could be one of the best games of the year in girls soccer. Both have top quality teams. CAK is coming off of a strong Bearden tournament, but played a tough 3 games in about 5 days. I don't know what GPS had before this, but they might be in better "shape" (ie. less injuries or soreness).

I am bias, of course, and am rooting for the Lady Warriors, but I am calling a tight one 3-2 in CAK's favor.

We played GPS on Saturday afternoon. It was our 3rd game in less than 24 hours and their 2nd so I am sure tired legs played a little part, but it was a good game. We had multiple chances, but could just not finish. The keeper seemed young and nervous. They seemed to rely on 3 girls to set up and execute their offense. The goal we gave up was a defensive blunder on our part. Saw a lot of young faces and inexperience out there.

All things seem somewhat equal talent-wise between these teams this year, so I think the edge goes to CAK due to their coaching advantage.

CAK clearly has an edge in overall talent, which is where games are won. I'd love to hear why you think CAK has a coaching advantage. Since you are from Chattanooga, I have to assume you have at least some knowledge of the GPS coaching staff.

Attacking - advantage CAK

Midfield - Even or slight edge CAK

Defense - Even

Goalkeeper - advantage GPS

I think CAK probably wins this one, but it certainly won't be because of who is on the sidelines for either team.

All things seem somewhat equal talent-wise between these teams this year, so I think the edge goes to CAK due to their coaching advantage.

CAK clearly has an edge in overall talent, which is where games are won. I'd love to hear why you think CAK has a coaching advantage. Since you are from Chattanooga, I have to assume you have at least some knowledge of the GPS coaching staff.

Attacking - advantage CAK

Midfield - Even or slight edge CAK

Defense - Even

Goalkeeper - advantage GPS

I think CAK probably wins this one, but it certainly won't be because of who is on the sidelines for either team.

That is an interesting concept...that coaches do not affect the outcome of games. The Jackie Charlton's of the world are clearly over-rated. Think of the money to be saved by just throwing the players on the field! Heck, maybe I should apply for the next coach opening since a coach has no bearing on the game.

My statement was more of a testament to the staff at CAK versus any detriment to the GPS staff.

CAK controlled the field most of the game. GPS defending the Hoffman sisters and others most of the time. GPS had some runs, but could not mount much of an offense. CAK well coached, fast and deep. Barrueta and Kessler are some of the best coaches in the area, and the GPS players have toughness and grit, but the bench does not look as large as in years past. Good to see Bess Wallis back on the field for GPS after knee injury.

Final

CAK 3

GPS 0

hmmm. I wasn't at the game so someone please tell me which scenario best describes the game?

A. CAK was clearly the better team and the result would have been no different had Jackie Charlton circa 1975 been on the GPS bench.

B. The teams were of equal ability, talent, athleticism, etc. but the CAK coaching staff was 3 goals better than the GPS staff.