White Station Vs. CBHS

fourthree

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! CBHS simply punched WS in mouth. I did not underestimate CBHS. The way they approached the game did not surprise me at all- my posts reflect that. And yes, the CBHS D is slow. The surprise for me was the manner in which CBHS completely manhandled WS in the trenches and how well their approach worked. Though I knew CBHS was the bigger/stronger team (as they will be against most they play in the regular season with the exception of maybe- Whitehaven and Millington), I thought WS would be capable of using schemes to prevent CBHS from totally dominating the line of scrimmage. CBHS was physical and extremely disciplined the entire game.

As I watched this game, I just could not understand WS's offensive strategy. From the onset, some of the coaching decisions befuddled me. If you win the opening toss, why would you not choose to start on offense if your offense is your strong point? Why would you not try to set the tone of the game with such an offense? That was just a very poor decision by the WS coach. That game-opening TD drive by CBHS set the entire tone for the game. And what was up with all the sideline to sideline/horizontal plays? Even if some of the WS offensive players had Usain Bolt's speed, you will not beat someone to the outside if you have to run 40 yards to get there, against a disciplined defense that happens to be controlling the line of scrimmage, with outside linebackers and dbs waiting for you or only needing to run 15 or 20 yards to be in position to make the play for no gain near the sideline.

Well, CBHS is a very good team with solid coaching and a complete and incredible kicking game. They are big, strong, and fundamentally sound. This is their best team since the Henry Harris days 3 or 4 years ago. Yes, the CBHS defense is slow, but tonight their physicality and scheme completely negated the WS offensive. I wonder how the time-of-possession stats look. Great team effort! Great coaching! If I am remembering their remainding schedule correctly, this team will only lose to MUS and possibly Mitchell (I'll call that one as it nears and I learn more about them) during the regular season.

CBHS won every facet of this game. Their special teams kept the kick off returns under control due in large part to getting the ball into the endzone for touchbacks. Their offense moved the ball at will. They only punted twice, and that was late in the 4th quarter when they were running the ball only, and to kill clock. Their defense shut us down completely. We had one drive, the rest were 3 and out, or maybe one or two 1st downs, then nothing.

They had a great game plan, and great execution. As fourthree mentioned, this game was won by the play in the trenches.

I would like to say WS had something positive to take from this experience, but I honestly can't think of one thing....unless you consider some hmble pie as a positive......

Wow! CBHS simply punched WS in mouth. I did not underestimate CBHS. The way they approached the game did not surprise me at all- my posts reflect that. And yes, the CBHS D is slow. The surprise for me was the manner in which CBHS completely manhandled WS in the trenches and how well their approach worked. Though I knew CBHS was the bigger/stronger team (as they will be against most they play in the regular season with the exception of maybe- Whitehaven and Millington), I thought WS would be capable of using schemes to prevent CBHS from totally dominating the line of scrimmage. CBHS was physical and extremely disciplined the entire game.

As I watched this game, I just could not understand WS's offensive strategy. From the onset, some of the coaching decisions befuddled me. If you win the opening toss, why would you not choose to start on offense if your offense is your strong point? Why would you not try to set the tone of the game with such an offense? That was just a very poor decision by the WS coach. That game-opening TD drive by CBHS set the entire tone for the game. And what was up with all the sideline to sideline/horizontal plays? Even if some of the WS offensive players had Usain Bolt's speed, you will not beat someone to the outside if you have to run 40 yards to get there, against a disciplined defense that happens to be controlling the line of scrimmage, with outside linebackers and dbs waiting for you or only needing to run 15 or 20 yards to be in position to make the play for no gain near the sideline.

Well, CBHS is a very good team with solid coaching and a complete and incredible kicking game. They are big, strong, and fundamentally sound. This is their best team since the Henry Harris days 3 or 4 years ago. Yes, the CBHS defense is slow, but tonight their physicality and scheme completely negated the WS offensive. I wonder how the time-of-possession stats look. Great team effort! Great coaching! If I am remembering their remainding schedule correctly, this team will only lose to MUS and possibly Mitchell (I'll call that one as it nears and I learn more about them) during the regular season.

Wow! I'm totally shell-shocked....I'm darn near speechless!

----------------------------------------------------------

Never in a million years did I ever figure that CBHS would defeat White Station, let alone SHUT THEM OUT! Oh well, I guess that's why they play the game.

Congratulations CBHS on a convincing victory!!!

White Station.....well, what can I say--you can't win them all, and back to the defensive drawing board.

Congratulations CBHS on a convincing victory!!!

White Station.....well, what can I say--you can't win them all, and back to the defensive drawing board.

TraderB, the defense does have to go back to the drawing board. But our offense has to revisit their drawing board as well. This team is built with the offense as the strong point. We are the ones that are supposed to control time of possession so our defense isn't out there too long. CBHS totally flipped that around on us. This is one game where the score doesn't reflect how outplayed we were.

I do think we will regroup.....but if we look good one week, and bad the next, we have a looong season in store. And just to be very clear....this game wasn't just that we didn't look good. CBHS deserves all the credit in the world for showing up, playing hard and executing their game plan. Sometimes when people say one team didn't show up and play well, it looks like they are taking credit away from the winning team. That isn't the case here. If we did show up, it would have been a better game to watch. I can't say we would have won though. I did find myself admiring how well CBHS was playing, in spite of it being at the cost of the Spartans.

Discipline, Discipline, and MORE discipline. Most private schools have more coaches and most importantly BETTER coaches. MUS has two D1 prospects with a supporting cast that lacks alot of talent and such, but they running through teams like crazy and SHOULD'VE blown out USP. If you would've seen all those drop passes you would've been amazed! Private School coaches have their work cut out for them and their players do too! Private Schools normally are stronger, more conditioned, make less penalties and turnovers. I thought White Station was the team that I thought could challenge MUS for best in the city, heck the area, but guess not. Props to CBHS I could tell from their scrimmage with Southwind this summer that their coaches were very smart and they were a well oiled machine.

Man ... this is the second week in a row that I am having crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! <I wonder what crow casserole taste like?> ... Sheesh!

Chinese proverb says ... "Fool who open mouth repeatedly, often dine on foot!" .... LOL ... :D These corns on my pinky toe aren't that tasty!

I'm about to give up the prognostication business and just stick to my day job!

Man ... 27-0 ... I DID NOT SEE THAT COMMING! Talk about being blindsided.

CBHS ... I owe you an apology. My bad.

I'll be quiet now. ... dry.gif

Man ... this is the second week in a row that I am having crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! <I wonder what crow casserole taste like?> ... Sheesh!

Chinese proverb says ... "Fool who open mouth repeatedly, often dine on foot!" .... LOL ... :D These corns on my pinky toe aren't that tasty!

I'm about to give up the prognostication business and just stick to my day job!

Man ... 27-0 ... I DID NOT SEE THAT COMMING! Talk about being blindsided.

CBHS ... I owe you an apology. My bad.

I'll be quiet now. ... dry.gif

kwc,

No, you did not eat crow on this one. Blackhaven Senator did. With this one, your pick was based on knowledge, logic, and a good assessment of the characteristics- good and bad- of both teams. Now, in some of your Whitehaven picks, maybe your logic was based more on emotion or a hope and a prayer. As you stated, CBHS controlled this game with their excellent kicking game; they also completely dominated the line of scrimmage on offense and defense. Unfortunately for WS, they probably underestimated CBHS's strength and size up front and could not make adjustments that worked. I thought CBHS would attempt that strategy, I just did not think that it would work as well as it did. Being that WS handle Whitehaven's size and strength advantage, I thought that they would be able to handle CBHS's well enough to win the game. I was wrong!

Now, I will wait on you to start the CBHS Vs. Whitehaven discussion/thread! Please do not be gun-shy, LOL! We need to represent the west on this forum as well as the middle and east regions are represented.

kwc,

No, you did not eat crow on this one.

Too late ... I'm already looking for the pepto bismal.

Blackhaven Senator did. With this one, your pick was based on knowledge, logic, and a good assessment of the characteristics- good and bad- of both teams. Now, in some of your Whitehaven picks, maybe your logic was based more on emotion or a hope and a prayer.

I'm guilty as charged.

As you stated, CBHS controlled this game with their excellent kicking game; they also completely dominated the line of scrimmage on offense and defense. Unfortunately for WS, they probably underestimated CBHS's strength and size up front and could not make adjustments that worked. I thought CBHS would attempt that strategy, I just did not think that it would work as well as it did. Being that WS handle Whitehaven's size and strength advantage, I thought that they would be able to handle CBHS's well enough to win the game. I was wrong!

We both were ... and boy were we ever!

Now, I will wait on you to start the CBHS Vs. Whitehaven discussion/thread! Please do not be gun-shy, LOL! We need to represent the west on this forum as well as the middle and east regions are represented.

Instead ... I started another thread that includes more then just the Whitehaven/CBHS game. I thought that would be a little more interesting ... and yes ... I was and still am a homer for Whitehaven ... LOL ... :|