Rankings Week 3 for 9/7-9/13

mjuhb

I don't know for certain what she said to the paper, but i am inclined to believe the quote. When the tinyest irishwoman told her good game during the postgame handshake her answer was "nice push". I hope they get to play again because that kid is one p***ed off irishman. I wasn't going to say anything, but the reporter needs to be defended.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know for certain what she said to the paper, but i am inclined to believe the quote. When the tinyest irishwoman told her good game during the postgame handshake her answer was "nice push". I hope they get to play again because that kid is one p***ed off irishman. I wasn't going to say anything, but the reporter needs to be defended.

I had also heard about this comment, and others, that the SM coach said, ....disappointing....definitely should be characterized as un-professional, and un-sportsmanlike....oh, well...hope the SM players recognize that as such... :popcorneater:

D :ph34r:

I had also heard about this comment, and others, that the SM coach said, ....disappointing....definitely should be characterized as un-professional, and un-sportsmanlike....oh, well...hope the SM players recognize that as such... :thumb:

D :thumb:

There are also people that would characterize beating a team by 14 as unprofessional and unsportsmanlike. Especially a team that has 14 players and 3 of them 8th graders.

ND has 5 girls that live on SM so these girls know each other, plus most play on select teams with one and other. So I’m sure there won’t be any long term hard feelings. It’s usually the parents more than the kids that harbor hard feelings.

I asked earlier how so many of the ND girls got hurt, was it in a game or practice? But I didn’t get any response. I know I counted at least 3 girls with knee braces. This seems to be a very high number of injuries.

I had also heard about this comment, and others, that the SM coach said, ....disappointing....definitely should be characterized as un-professional, and un-sportsmanlike....oh, well...hope the SM players recognize that as such... :thumb:

D :thumb:

There are also people that would characterize beating a team by 14 as unprofessional and unsportsmanlike. Especially a team that has 14 players and 3 of them 8th graders. Notre Dame won 11-0, and 9-0, so I know you aren't refering to NDv SM last season...maybe SM should have stayed at home last year, don't play the "we have 8th graders card" and expect sympathy...

ND has 5 girls that live on SM so these girls know each other, plus most play on select teams with one and other. So I’m sure there won’t be any long term hard feelings. It’s usually the parents more than the kids that harbor hard feelings. The girls likely don't care, but when a coach crosses the line, please don't defend them...I would be critical of our coach also if this had been the case...

I asked earlier how so many of the ND girls got hurt, was it in a game or practice? But I didn’t get any response. I know I counted at least 3 girls with knee braces. This seems to be a very high number of injuries. See below

You may have missed it: (but toi clarify, it seems most happened preseason, or not at true game time...)

Re: Rankings Week 3 for 9/7-9/13

by CHAMPDDS » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:38 am

SMEAGLE- Good Point...

We originally had just enough numbers for a varsity and JV team, but at the beginning of the season, with multiple injuries, we have dropped JV for right now...although just a few injuries have been during actual games, most were preseason, or even during warm-ups...seems the luck of the Irish has not touched us this year...We have a few ACL injuries already repairing, one due for ACL surgery soon, our varsity senior keeper dislocated her elbow at the Baylor Tourney warm-up, countless sprains and deep bone bruises, etc....we may need to have an orthopedic surgeon on retainer soon....

[

I asked earlier how so many of the ND girls got hurt, was it in a game or practice? But I didn’t get any response. I know I counted at least 3 girls with knee braces. This seems to be a very high number of injuries.

A couple of girls are recovering from last year. One made her first appearance near the end of the SM game after a knee injury.A freshman hurt her knee at UTC camp. No surgery required, just rehab. 4 girls were hurt during the Baylor tournament. The keeper dislocated her elbow during warm-ups. A defender blew out her knee during the East Hamilton game. I don't believe any contact occured, just bad luck on an awful field. A midfielder rolled her ankle in the 2nd game on the same awful field, but she is back. A defender rolled her ankle very severely during warm-ups of the 3rd game. She will be out a while. You may have seen another freshman who had surgery, but she has yet play or even practice much with the team.

I may be missing someone. Seems an injury occurred before or during every game this year until the last 2 games. No injuries against Soddy or SM.

Are you seeking to defend your coach's poor sportsmanship with ND injuries as evidence?

Rabble Rouser.

Let me give you a little advice. If you are ever asked to speak to a reporter for, say anything, you will be surprised at what you said and what is heard. It seems people are interviewed to build a reporters story. Problem is, the reporter usually has the story BEFORE he/she seeks the interviews. When you are interviewed, you know become a supporter of the writer's story regardless of whether you share the same opinion. Trust me. I have first hand knowledge in sports and personal life.

Rabble Rouser.

Let me give you a little advice. If you are ever asked to speak to a reporter for, say anything, you will be surprised at what you said and what is heard. It seems people are interviewed to build a reporters story. Problem is, the reporter usually has the story BEFORE he/she seeks the interviews. When you are interviewed, you know become a supporter of the writer's story regardless of whether you share the same opinion. Trust me. I have first hand knowledge in sports and personal life.

You have no idea how funny this is...

However, from my limited experience, a reporter covering an event has very few pre-conceived ideas on what he will write, other than that he will describe the events as they happened AND he will get the various people involved to comment.

He does know that one team will win and one will not. He assumes there will be some offensive and defensive plays and storylines on both sides of the ball. He knows he will speak to the coaches afterward and he might even assume he will get banal coach-speak for his troubles.

Most experienced participants realize that what they say is on the record and they tend to avoid saying anything controversial, silly, inflammatory or stupid. That's why you get answers like, "We're just going to compete." I refer you to Bull Durham.

In this case, how could the reporter have known the SM coach would say what she said. She volunteered them and he reported them. It is not his job to filter or protect her. She's an adult who supposedly said what she said knowing full well it would be reported in print.

Are you saying he made up the direct quote? Are you saying he planned in advance to have the SM coach make accusations about the ND team's quality of play?

Thanks for the advice by the way. I'll remember it next time I deal with media types.

RR

1. I have no dog in this fight.

2. There is a difference in reporting and a story

3. I haven't (nor plan to ) read the paper from that night

4. The posters seem to share that a story was written.

5. We'll never know but it certainly makes more fodder for Coach T

Have a great season...stay away from the reporters. By the way, they no longer write things down, they use a recorder. Your showing your age.

RR

1. I have no dog in this fight.

2. There is a difference in reporting and a story

3. I haven't (nor plan to ) read the paper from that night

4. The posters seem to share that a story was written.

5. We'll never know but it certainly makes more fodder for Coach T

Have a great season...stay away from the reporters. By the way, they no longer write things down, they use a recorder. Your showing your age.

Classic on so many levels.

I'm speechless.

Good night all

RR & Canes:

It does not happen very often, but Mr. C is absolutely spot on about reporters having their

story well established before they interview. You can be # 2 in the rankings and get beat

by # 42 and the story will tell everything good about #2 and perhaps say #42 slipped a

lucky goal in, (3 times) to win 3-0. I too know first hand. When asked if you think if might

rain and the reporter prints, "Dogman predicts return of 40 days and 40 nights of flooding".

All you said was it looks a little cloudy. :popcorneater: