Slide Tackles...don't let them slide any longer

Canesoverhere

Having thought about this for a day or two, I'll add this.

There are only two types of tackle; clean tackles and fouls.

A "slide" tackle can take on many forms and may be well executed and perfectly legal.

Getting the ball first does necessarily equal a legal challenge.

Sub-categories of fouls are careless usually resulting in a DFK or dangerous usually resulting in an IFK. Reckless which should result in a DFK and caution and a tackle committed with excessive force that endangers the safety of an opponent which should result in an ejection and a DFK.

Referees evaluate every single coming together of players and determine if the actions of one or both players were legal and take appropriate action. Referees don't wear white or blue or red or black tinted spectacle and make impartial decisions based on what just happened. Referees make calls based on their angle and view of the action, at full speed, in real time, having weighed advantage and taking into account the players involved, the overall temperature and feel of the game. A foul in the third minute in the defensive end might be called whereas the same foul in the 63rd minute at midfield might get uncalled. A players fifth trifling foul may be called when a very similar first foul by an opponent isn't called seconds earlier.

The last paragraph is an ideal.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of timely articles from the magazine REFEREE regarding tackles. In one article the author notes that he seldom sees the call made correctly, and seldom is there even a caution given. He is very much in favor of the red card for improper, dangerous tackles. A second article highlights injuries documented by FIFA. Several important points. a) the younger players get hurt more often than older players. :roflolk: 2/3rds of the injuries are to the lower extremities c) "An overwhelming number of injuries come from tackling. Nearly 30 percent of injuries to women due to tackling were a foul,.." d) female players have a much higher injury risk for tackles www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/newsid= ... omens+game

Bottom line, I think this subject needs further study and review by the TSSAA. I also think it is unrealistic to think every school can have a coach that that can teach the proper technique, and every player will execute the technique properly to the extent that the injury rate will be effectively lowered, especially in proportion to the minimal effect this has on the real outcome of the game....especially in high school vs. the very real outcome this has on the injured player.

I am not at all against slide tackling...but let me give you a player's point of view of the referee's calls. My daughter is also a grade 8 referee and knows the rules of the game very well. Obviously she has been involved in some lopsided games this season and her point of view is that the refs don't call dangerous slide tackles (nor any foul nor handled ball) against a team that is obviously outmatched. In several games this season, late slide tackles (some very late) have not been called or carded (at least card them). The refs have got to keep the players' safety in mind, no matter what the score. Unfortunately too many look the other way when the outmatched team is the offender.

I am not at all against slide tackling...but let me give you a player's point of view of the referee's calls. My daughter is also a grade 8 referee and knows the rules of the game very well. Obviously she has been involved in some lopsided games this season and her point of view is that the refs don't call dangerous slide tackles (nor any foul nor handled ball) against a team that is obviously outmatched. In several games this season, late slide tackles (some very late) have not been called or carded (at least card them). The refs have got to keep the players' safety in mind, no matter what the score. Unfortunately too many look the other way when the outmatched team is the offender.

So let me see if I have this right. In West Tn all slide tackles are called fouls, in Middle Tn, fouls are called unless your losing or are out matched and then they're not called. In East Tn they want to outlaw slide tackles.(except for G)

Wow you guys have given me something to think about. :(

"schsdad02"My daughter is also a grade 8 referee and knows the rules of the game very well. Obviously she has been involved in some lopsided games this season and her point of view is that the refs don't call dangerous slide tackles (nor any foul nor handled ball) against a team that is obviously outmatched. In several games this season, late slide tackles (some very late) have not been called or carded (at least card them). The refs have got to keep the players' safety in mind, no matter what the score. Unfortunately too many look the other way when the outmatched team is the offender."

THIS IS NOT AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL! There is no mercy rule. Clock never stops running no matter the score. Ref's should not let that hand ball, or slide tackle go just because it will not change the outcome of the game. These are safety issues, and LAWS OF THE GAME. They MUST be followed.

Ref's are to be blades of grass on the field. They are not for or against either team. I have never seen a ref, in my 30+ years of playing/coaching, let something dangerous go because they felt sorry for the team getting stomped.

I have seen them hold subs at the half line due to coaches fussing too much about this and that.

Observations:

Glad to see that someone has tried to turn this into a West, Middle and East issue.

Hand balls do not exist, jut a fan term.

Slide tackles are not going away.

Slidding is to remove the ball from an advantageous position, not to remove the player.

Refs will always make mistakes, even when they make the right call and are 90 % of the outcome

of every game.

No body knows what off sides really is, but everyone challenges it when called or not.

Everyone has the same view of the field.

:thumb:

Ok I'll weigh in on slide tackles. The problem is one of risk management, and prevention juxtaposed with the spirit of the game and the skill of the players. Keep in mind the following:

1. Legal

2. If done properly is exciting to watch

3. If done improperly can result in injury; It is a foul, "possibly" resulting in a caution or send off. (not one of the mandatory 7+7)

4. HS rules are different than USSF. Both allow slide tackles.

5. Guidance from TSSAA in beginning of season meeting with coaches and referees on "points of emphasis" reinforce rules.

6. Some coaches don't teach, others are exemplary teachers. Some believe players should be taught by club coaches and players should already be trained when they get in the program. Some teams have no club players. Some coaches don't allow players that do not play club in their programs (or they don't play alot).

7. As one colleague has said, careless reckless or excessive force is the key. Did the player exercise "due care"? What elements are required? Careless is a foul, reckless usually equally yellow and excessive force is usually red.

8. Some HS games are no more competitive than rec league. Some high school games are very physical. Physical games are not illegal games. Soccer is a physical sport. There is a fine line between physical and out of control. Referees are there to balance flow, versus control, and keep it safe, fair, and fun.

9. Some teams bless their hearts, are very unskilled and play for their school for fun. These are the games most likely to need attention. Some HS teams can give premier club teams a run for their money (as a few HS teams are blessed with exclusively high caliber players). These games need attention too.

I can recall one game, a U19G at a high level club tournament in Georgia. Late in the game where the player executed a slide tackle from behind, got the girls calf, and was sent off. Five minutes later, her friend did the same thing. Same result. Another send off. All the girls said in response "this is our last game of our life, who cares?" 5 min left. Enough said, game over.

The only way to stop dangerous and potential injurious play is to penalize severely. Do players listen? Some do, some don't care. The other point is that if this is an issue in HS sports, it should be brought to the attention of TSSAA immediately. Coaches, players, referees must abide by the requirements posed by the state. If this is an issue at the club level, it is usually filtered down from Chicago, where USSF directives come from. There is a chain of command.

TSSAA has recently begun an effort to upgrade referee quality with full day preseason clinics. HS referees are required to attend a certain number of educational meetings a year, usually held monthly locally. There are supervisors, assessors, and assignors. The best critics are peers, not fans, coaches or players. Referees earn respect of their peers by showing courage. Admittedly there is a spectrum of talent and skill in any endeavor, be it coaching, playing, or refereeing.

FIFA International Board Decision 8 on Law 5, which is no longer formally a part of the rules, but essential in the "spirit of the game" and the training of referees.

“The Laws of the Game are intended to provide that games should be played with as little interference as possible, and ... it is the duty of the referee to penalize only deliberate breaches of the Law. Constant whistling for trifling and doubtful breaches produces bad feeling and loss of temper on the part of the players and spoils the pleasure of spectators.”

Following this guidance ensures play like slide tackles get their due when done properly.

As a current soccer player who is experienced in the techniques of all forms of tackles, slide tackles are part of the game. It would be a crime to simply remove them from the game. The biggest problem with them in high school leagues is the reffing. A good majority of the refs are inexperienced in the rules of soccer especially when it comes to contact in the sport.

Being a male soccer, I love a good hard tackle, whether it be for or against me, but part of every game, there will be times when bad, unsafe, or unclean fouls are committed. Just like in college and professional soccer, fowls should be tracked from player to player. If a player is noted to have too many fowls, they should be suspended for a designated number of games. If fowls continue, harsher punishment needs to be taken.

As for athletes being unable to control themselves, I find that completely inaccurate. Myself being a high school athlete, i know my limit and I like to pride myself on not being a player that commits tackles to cause injury. Yes, as in every sport, there are those that have a side to them that comes out that are dark and do not care about others well being, but outlawing slide tackles are not going to change that.

In comment to the game in which the girl's leg was broken in 2 places, there isn't much to say to that except it sucks. It's a freak accident that possibly could have been prevented had coaching or reffing been better, but it's not my place to criticize that part of the game.

Slide tackles are part of the games. If they're removed from the game, it will change the game not only on a high school level, but it will change college play because athletes will not have practice in the technique.

I'm not persuaded, plus we are talking about girls HS soccer. This has no effect on the college game. It is rare that a HS player going to college, doesn't play club soccer...where you can tackle to your heart's content. Plus, after the foul the damage is done. Fractures about the leg and ankle do suck, but they are not a freak occurance. Please review previous post about the FIFA stats. Injuries are much more common in females, especially younger females, so I'm not talking about males and post HS. Everyone seems to complain about the quality of the refs.....that's not going to change overnite, if at all. You're not going to 'coach-up' every girl every year either. After another month, I'm back to club, so those of you with players with HS years remaining, it's up to you one way or the other, but I don't think anyone that has seen HS soccer and especially that has taken an interest in this thread can deny that there should be some steps taken to review slide tackles.

Why don't we just take all Contact Sports away from girls they are so fragile. While we are at it I am sure the girls and the moms would love to go back 100 years with everything else. I don't want to see anyone hurt, least of all my daughter, however when she got hooked on Soccer and told me she wanted to play in College, I supported her. In supporting her, I have spent thousands of dollars since she was 9 years old on Club Soccer and any additional training she could get to perform, not only at her best, but in a safe manner.

Has she been injured? Yes, broken wrist, dislocated elbow, pinched nerve in elbow, numerous sprained ankles her freshman and sophmore years of high school (which were caused from poor conditioning I might add, and an inexperienced SAQ Instructor), sprained her knee twice, and knocked out playing goal when she was 11.

Every time she got hurt, it tore me up inside, and were it not for her stubborness, and love of the game, I wouldn't have said a word if she came to me and said "Dad, I am done", I would have encouraged her to do whatever else she wanted to. I say all this to say, if they want to play a contact sport, we as parents, refs, coaches and trainers, owe it to these young ladies to make sure:

1. They know the dangers and risks involved

2. Make sure they are in the best possible physical condition

3. Make sure they are properly trained by qualified coaches and trainers

4. Make sure they are protected by knowledgeable and competant officials

5. When they are injured severely, that they follow the doctors instructions to the T, and complete all required therapy, as well as not cheat and come back before they are supposed to.

High School Soccer is a Competitive sport, we don't need to cheapen the game, if you want rules like no slide-tackling go play AYSO.