Big Games in Memphis ... Week 5

kwc

There is not much honor in what MUS, CBHS,ECS, or any other of these Private schools do with all the recruiting they are involved in. If I could open a school to anyone and offer scholarships to exceptional athletes I would have a great team also.

I aplogize in advance for the continued hijacking of KWC's original post/topic, but I don't even understand where this comment comes from. Years ago there was much aggravation about this, so TSSAA created D2 for privates that offer financial assistance. Now people still complain about it. If you don't like being disadvantaged when you play them, the simple solution is don't schedule them. I personally have much respect for the D2 schools because they'll do one of two things when playing the city schools: Schedule a home and home with the big boys like Whitehaven, or host payout games for the smaller schools that are the lifeblood of a lot of those programs (each school gets what they need out of the arrangement: an extra home game for the private and needed cash for the small public). My experience has been nothing short of first class each time.

As a point of reference, I have no affiliation with any private school, only been to them as a "visitor".

And don't even get me started on our friends south of the border - re: recruiting

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to congratulate East for their effort against MUS. They stayed with them much of the first half. Few teams are able to do that. In fact, East held the ball @9 minutes of the first quarter, thus allowing MUS' offense only one possession, and the score was tied 0-0. That is what you must do to stay with the Owls - control the clock and keep their offense off the field.

East has some very good players, just not enough of them. They had many players going both ways. MUS platoons and plays nobody both ways. That's why MUS quickly put East away when their players tired. Good luck to the Mustangs. You should do well in your league and advance in the playoffs. And special kudos for the tough schedule you have played! Few have the 'nads to do that.

Bingo!

You know-- I suspected (since I was not in attendance) that East's player's simply QUIT last week, in its blow-out loss to White Station....while giving up a near-record # of points. Well, after attending last night's game.....

I owe East's players an apology. They likely did not QUIT vs White Station; they probably just simply got worn the heck out, naturally, from fatigue!

East's player's were NOTICEABLY tired last night, beginning mid-way 3rd-quarter: There was no "pep" in their steps; they were just loafing out of the huddle, up to the line of scrimmage. Their secondary players (which included the QB and WR) were so worn out that they could never "break" on the ball and, as a result, repeatedly left the MUS receivers WIDE open! MUS must have hit at least 4 or 5 deep, post/corner routes....uncontested!

The #10 kid (WR) for East --the one that sustained some sort of leg injured, and had to be carried off the field...It's so ironic, but (well before he got hurt) I was watching his body language on offense.... That kid was either 100% disinterested or 100% exhausted! I have never in my life seen a football player "LOAF" like that kid was doing, play after play after play....

Then, what do you know.....I look up and see that he's gotten hurt!

I hope that #10 did not sustain a serious injury and that he's ok.

Look -- I'm no Medical Doctor (and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express, last nite :thumb: ) but I strongly suspect that #10 was totally exhausted and, as a result, extreme FATIGUE made him more vulnerable to potential injuries on the football field...

Anyway, as I listened to that East's game vs White Station last week, it was (ironically enough) also about the exact same point in the game that the "wheels" fell off --mid-way 3rd qtr, as they did last nite vs MUS! Yet, because their opponent had just popped out to a huge 3 TD lead, there was no longer any sort of will-power/desire left with which to mentally fight thru the fatigue!

At the end of the day, there is a reason that football games are 4-quarters in duration and not 2-quarter Jamborees. As such, teams MUST be able to sustain a high level of performance for the entire game if they expect to emerge victorious, consistently. That is awfully, awfully difficult to accomplish when you have many guys (expecially KEY playmakers) playing both offense AND defense, the entire game!

Congratulations to MUS on yet another convincing win! Kudos to East for their effort last night. It's not their fault that they're not all built like Superman.

----------------------------------------------------------------

kwc,

Way back during the beginning of the season, you posed a key question (in response to me--when I spoke about East's appearing to be one of the best teams in Mphs):

-- How many teams do you know that have won State Champioships with their QB playing both ways?

My answer was something like, "...you have a great point. That's a potential problem for East."

Well, East's 2nd-half performances vs White Station and MUS serve as a fresh reminder of precisely WHY it's so difficult, very tough to win Titles with multiple (especially KEY) players going both ways! Fatigue is real. Fatigue plays a huge role in the outcome of football games, especially versus quality opponents! :thumb:

Mitchell Tigers: Beware.

A 38 - 0 shellacking looks to be the root source of the recruiting rumors I see. On second thought, perhaps MUS does have a trained scout staff scouring the city in search of overtly athletic 12-year-old's. :shock:[/quote

I dare say most if not all of these nimrods talking about "recruiting" and "the best team money can buy" have no idea that MUS is grades 7-12 and that the team (with the exception of Brunetti, who arrived in the 8th grade) has been together since the 7th grade (or even earlier at PDS or in junior league sports). That's why they are such a cohesive unit (one of their strengths). How IDIOTICALLY ABSURD is their belief that MUS, as you so pointedly said, has a "trained scout staff scouring the city in search of overtly athletic 12-year-olds. Too funny!

Lets say this... How many of the kids on the football team can there parents afford to send there kids there? Brunetti if im not mistaken is from around the frayser area? Im willing to bet my house he has a full ride there... Which i could really care less about recruiting. I justdont understand why people try and say private schools dont recruit.

MUS can along with any of the other private schools give a limited number of student/athletes financial aid. It is limited however, and if memory serves me correctly 4 can be given aid if they participate in football. That"s it! The owl poster said it exactly correct. These kids at MUS begin playing in the 7th grade and stay together through high school. From the 7th grade through their entire school years they operate under the same system. Combine that with excellent coaching, you experience the type of success that the owls as well as the ECS's and CBHS's enjoy. I wish to goodness we had the type of program beginning with our lower grades and progressing through high school that a number of these private schools have. Not cheating...Planning, Preparation, Support for the program by parents, etc., tremendous facilities as well as financial support combined with a proven system and solid coaching makes MUS and the others what they are.

Millingtonfan2007 - what does it matter where Brunetti lives or whether he has a full ride to MUS? That's what PRIVATE schools are about! Their students can come from ANYWHERE. If you are a "boarding school" (like McCallie) they can come from other states. And if you can pass the entrance exam AND have some other talent (including SPORTS) you might be lucky enough to get one of those coveted few scholarships to MUS. Your other "talent" MIGHT simply be your ethnic or religious background, as MUS seeks diversity in its student body. But if you think MUS has "sports scouts" in the elementary schools, that "recruiters" were stalking Brunetti on a playground when he was 11 years old or hanging around his house in Frayser when he turned 12, you are NUTZ! Kids like him (or their parents) usually hear about MUS from other kids (who intend to attend MUS, or their parents) with whom they play organized sports.

I hope you read my other posts. I grew up near Central HS. I made straight A's with ease at Idlewild Elementary School. When I was 12, my parents drove me out to a low-level brick building, which seemed to be in another county, to take a TEST that lasted all day. The next thing I know, I'm a student at MUS, one of the best things that ever happened in my life. And my dad worked overtime to pay for it. And I played sports. As I have said, in a previous post, my best friend grew up near Overton and ended up at MUS the same way I did, just a year later and on SCHOLARSHIP (like Brunetti), because his parents were poor but wanted the best for their son. Unfortunately, though he was a very good (but not exceptional) athlete, he could NOT join me on the "playing fields" because to do so would have made his scholarship suddenly become an "athletic" scholarship, and those were strictly limited by the TSSAA, no doubt by people of the same mindset as you. He wasn't a "ringer" or somebody who could have affected the outcome of the MUS-Millington football game, but he still couldn't play. Thank God my dad could afford MUS so I could GROW from athletic participation and NOT be forced to watch from the sidelines like my best friend. And now that I am a successful professional, I donate to MUS annually so that deserving kids, whose parents can't afford MUS, get those "free rides" to a special education. Brunetti may be the best athlete ever to attend MUS, on scholarship or not. Despite finger-pointing people like you, MUS is not going to hang out a sign that says "GIFTED ATHLETES NEED NOT APPLY" PLEASE stop all this "recruiting" BS. Just play the game and enjoy it for what it is -a GAME.

Millingtonfan2007 - what does it matter where Brunetti lives or whether he has a full ride to MUS? That's what PRIVATE schools are about! Their students can come from ANYWHERE. If you are a "boarding school" (like McCallie) they can come from other states. And if you can pass the entrance exam AND have some other talent (including SPORTS) you might be lucky enough to get one of those coveted few scholarships to MUS. Your other "talent" MIGHT simply be your ethnic or religious background, as MUS seeks diversity in its student body. But if you think MUS has "sports scouts" in the elementary schools, that "recruiters" were stalking Brunetti on a playground when he was 11 years old or hanging around his house in Frayser when he turned 12, you are NUTZ! Kids like him (or their parents) usually hear about MUS from other kids (who intend to attend MUS, or their parents) with whom they play organized sports.

I hope you read my other posts. I grew up near Central HS. I made straight A's with ease at Idlewild Elementary School. When I was 12, my parents drove me out to a low-level brick building, which seemed to be in another county, to take a TEST that lasted all day. The next thing I know, I'm a student at MUS, one of the best things that ever happened in my life. And my dad worked overtime to pay for it. And I played sports. As I have said, in a previous post, my best friend grew up near Overton and ended up at MUS the same way I did, just a year later and on SCHOLARSHIP (like Brunetti), because his parents were poor but wanted the best for their son. Unfortunately, though he was a very good (but not exceptional) athlete, he could NOT join me on the "playing fields" because to do so would have made his scholarship suddenly become an "athletic" scholarship, and those were strictly limited by the TSSAA, no doubt by people of the same mindset as you. He wasn't a "ringer" or somebody who could have affected the outcome of the MUS-Millington football game, but he still couldn't play. Thank God my dad could afford MUS so I could GROW from athletic participation and NOT be forced to watch from the sidelines like my best friend. And now that I am a successful professional, I donate to MUS annually so that deserving kids, whose parents can't afford MUS, get those "free rides" to a special education. Brunetti may be the best athlete ever to attend MUS, on scholarship or not. Despite finger-pointing people like you, MUS is not going to hang out a sign that says "GIFTED ATHLETES NEED NOT APPLY" PLEASE stop all this "recruiting" BS. Just play the game and enjoy it for what it is -a GAME.

Thanks for sharing your experiences owlbooster....that's not only interesting to read, but it's great to see a success story like yours.

Trojanswars365, cam 6, and wsttnballer - you all are in need of an education, but I don't think any of you could pass the entrance exam to MUS, which is arguably the top ACADEMIC school in TN. You can't "open the school to anyone" (who can play ball). MUS can't just go out and spot an athlete and say "come on out to Park & Ridgeway....we'll find a spot fer you". There are no "special sections" for jocks or "basketweaving" courses. Strange as it may seem to you, people of their own volition actually come to MUS seeking a top-notch EDUCATION which will serve them well for the rest of their lives. Some may excel in sport(s), but if they do, YOU would automatically say they're on "athletic scholarship" and probably were "recruited" when in fact these kids and their parents came knocking on the door. After all, if you could get a scholarship (all of which are "needs-based") to a school with such great teachers, coaches, and facilities, wouldn't you take it? MBA in Nashville is the same way. I can't speak for any of the other schools - MUS and MBA are the only two I know from personal experience.

Back in the Dark Ages, before the public-private split, when I was at MUS, my best friend was on academic scholarship. His parents were quite poor. He was their only child - a genius AND an athlete. He had attended Overton, been bored to tears, and was always getting in trouble. His parents asked for a scholarship and he passed the entrance exam with "flying colors". (I also was a public school brat with brains and brawn, but my dad could afford the cost) When I asked him why he didn't play sports, I was sad to hear that if he did, his scholarship would not have been available, because it then would have been considered an athletic scholarship by the TSSAA (and obviously people like you) and back then there were stricter limitations on them. We both went on to top-notch universities, became successful professionals, and remain in touch.

A large majority of MUS' athletes have been going to school together AND/OR playing organized sports together since they were in grade school. Many are the sons (or grandsons) of MUS players. Most of their parents are professionals and/or people who believe in the power of education. You don't have to go out and "recruit" these kids.

I suggest that you (and your "friend of Jason Smith") get together and do an expose of those programs who are throwing around "tens of thousands of dollars." If you can get Jason Smith himself involved, I'm sure he could get a camera crew and aid in the interviewing and reporting. It's time to stop the corruption and bring "honor" back to HS sports!!!

owlbooster,

Congrats to you for your success. By the way, you have no idea of my ability to pass or not pass the entrance exam to MUS. I beg to differ, I'm sure I could but that's beside the point. I never accused MUS of recruiting, I did however state that some do. I know for a fact of one that has, (which wasn't MUS), this however was in a different sport. They weren't given any type of aid from the school directly, it came from a relative that happened to be an alum of the school. If you read my post I also stated that it happens at public schools.

In regards to my need for more education, I'm educated quite well thank you and also have a background quite similar to yours. Before you go placing labels on people perhaps you should know a little more about them...

I have no problem with offering an academic scholarship to a deserving kid who maybe cant afford it. I have no problem with someone who brought themselves up and became successful. Most of the private schools do have great academic programs. Yes, you have to pass an entrance exam.But if you really believe there is no recruiting going on in the private schools for the purpose of having a good sports program, you are only trying to make yourself feel better. I have personally seen it. Sorry.....

As well as MUS has done this season, they still haven't played a game with their best running back, Keith McBride, who is the second highest rated prospect on the team (behind QB Brunetti). He is a speedy tank. Rumor has it that he will play against East. If so, East better wear all red to hide the blood. You really can't call the score; it depends on how much Brunetti plays and whether there is a "running clock"

shortening the game. MUS should cruise.

CBHS' loss to Whitehaven was a surprise to many. They are a good team, better than they have been for several years. No way will they lose at home to Millington, who is NOT as good as they have been for the last several years.

As far as ECS-USJ, WHO CARES? ECS chose to drop down a division and become the big fish in the little pond (II-A). The only way you can rate them is how they do against CBHS, the only real challenge on their schedule. I'll ignore them until them. By the way, it's absurd for them to be ranked #3 in the AP DII poll. There are at least 6 or 7 II-AA teams that are better (which is why they joined II-A).

I'm among many others that care about ECS vs USJ actually. Who cares if you ignore them, that's your choice. Believe me, the reason ECS chose to drop down had nothing to do with becoming the big fish in a little pond either. It's all about the #'s, ECS fell into the new classification of DII -A and decided to remain there rather than "play-up", which they did for 2 years and did quite well in all honesty.

As a matter of fact ECS is by far the largest school in DII-A. And you DID do "quite well" in DII-AA, so why switch? The only "numbers" ECS seems to care about is number of WINS. If you get a sense of satisfaction by beating the tar out of Bishop Byrne, Fayette Academy et al, rather than playing better teams and possibly losing, you go get 'em. But if I were an ECS supporter, I would want to play the best schedule you could handle. DII-A is NOT that. You're better than that. But have fun counting up all those "state championships" coming to you!

Actually, ECS only has 36 more students than Knoxville Webb as of the classification #'s. Being an ECS supporter, my feelings had no weight in the decision, as I'm certain no other supporters did either. Also, I was honestly disappointed when the decision was made and would rather have remained in DII-AA, but for you to say that wins are the only #'s ECS cares about, unless you have some inside knowledge of ECS, which I doubt, is a rather bold statement.