PITCHING DISTANCE

PIGLETox23

As the person who originally started this post, I would like to respond. First of all, to the person who kept posting "IT IS ONLY THREE FEET," I can assure that it is definitely a difficult transition to make. It is not like backing up first or third and just making a longer throw. It is about mechanics and release and spin, and they are all different when you move back three feet. Your drop ball has to drop later, your change has to go further, your rise has to be released lower to break later, your curve has to be released earlier, and so on...I am a coach now (both high school team and pitching coach) and while I agree that the movement for high school should have been made to 43 feet, I don't believe so for middle school girls. I played Division I softball, and making the transition once I went to college was an adjustment. I don't care what anyone says, it DOES affect your speed. Maybe only 2-5 miles per hour, but regardless, it does. I went from throwing about 65-66 in high school to the low 60's in college, and I also had to learn to perfect my moving pitches, as they break differently from three feet back. This is a great idea for high school girls because it prepares them for college as well as makes the game more exciting. But asking a 12 year old to do that isn't fair. Some of them are just learning and have not developed the mechanics or strength to be a pitcher, let alone the confidence that being a pitcher requires. Basically what we are saying is that a girl will go from 35 to 43 feed with only spending one, at the most two (if you're lucky) at 40 feet. I have pitched or coached pitching for almost 20 years, and this is just my opinon... dry.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what anyone says, it DOES affect your speed. Maybe only 2-5 miles per hour, but regardless, it does.

Hope you dont teach science or physics. Might need to brush up on your science and maybe your logic too. How about you tell us how you throw a ball slower from three more feet? Are you suggesting that you slow your arm down because you moved back 3 feet? That's hogwash. You probably throw with more force. Are you suggesting that the distance all 3 feet of it makes the ball slow down more? Surely not. A thrown ball will slow down a little every 10 feet or so but not anything like 5 mph for 3 feet. Cause ITS ONLY THREE FEET!

I don't care what anyone says, it DOES affect your speed. Maybe only 2-5 miles per hour, but regardless, it does.

Hope you dont teach science or physics. Might need to brush up on your science and maybe your logic too. How about you tell us how you throw a ball slower from three more feet? Are you suggesting that you slow your arm down because you moved back 3 feet? That's hogwash. You probably throw with more force. Are you suggesting that the distance all 3 feet of it makes the ball slow down more? Surely not. A thrown ball will slow down a little every 10 feet or so but not anything like 5 mph for 3 feet. Cause ITS ONLY THREE FEET!

Better Radar Guns in College?

43 feet makes or breaks you. Only 3 feet...you must have chunkers. Chunking at any distance is just that..chunking. SO,,,it wont bother your pitcher, She will just get hit more. The 3 feet gives the batter more time to adjust so the ball has to more than just fast. 43 feet means less strike outs and yes, it does make pitchers slower who can't chunk the ball anymore. It makes spin pitchers faster because they don't have to work to control their pitches like at 40 feet. Exposure tourneys for the 16 year olds who are being actively recruited saw many of the girls struggling and having to work and not just chunk. Is it a good thing? YES...... We didn't have problems except for with the curve. It took awhile to get it to break in the right place. Oh....you can still chunk. It just gets nailed and you get burned. Placement and spin imperative at 43 feet. Speed is not nearly as important. Pitchers who can hit their spots with great pitch callers can pitch with any speed. Chunkers who do not hit their spots will not be effective.

The problem is...less than 1 percent of high school softball players go on to play in college...And the ones who DO, probably play 16 or 18 Gold where they pitch from 43 feet anyway...so...

DI maybe...but not all play DI. I don't think less than 1% is accurate...especially for pitchers in this area.

• 4 weeks later...
Every team in the state has at least one pitcher throwing 60+. Most, 65. :shock:

:thumb: Thats funny Indian..... I think what you really meant was that "Every team in the state wishes or think they have a pitcher that throw's 60+" But as you know the truth would sure hurt a lot of folks feelings if they actually realized that their DD doesn't. :shock:

:lol:

Every team in the state has at least one pitcher throwing 60+. Most, 65. :D

:o Thats funny Indian..... I think what you really meant was that "Every team in the state wishes or think they have a pitcher that throw's 60+" But as you know the truth would sure hurt a lot of folks feelings if they actually realized that their DD doesn't. :D

:D

If every team in the state has at least one throwing 60+ (averaged out I guess) then some other part of the state has a TON of girls that could challenge Monica Abbott. I guess all of these D1 Colleges need to abandon recruiting in California and Arizona and set up camp here.

Don't get too mad at me, I'm just having a litttle fun! Besides we have to get our SB fix somehow, we cant watch the girls play for three months.