Cheatham at Harpeth

BoardHater71

The Cubs and the Indians have not played one another on the gridiron since 2006. This has always been a great rivalry that has produced some very intense games and some very memorable moments. The game will be broadcast LIVE on WQSV AM790 and can also be heard by visiting the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page at http://www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb and clicking on the link titled "Cubs Friday Night". I imagine many across the county have waited anxiously for this rivalry to crank back up and it finally does this week. Any thoughts or predictions?????

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, this is a memorable rivarly and one which should have never been discontinued the last couple of years. With a game like this, there is always so much excitement and adrenaline that you can never really count anybody out because it will be a hard fought contest for both schools. This game is special because it brings some extra elements that the other District games on the schedule don't bring....relationships with close ties to each school.

While Harpeth will be the favorite in this one on paper, I know the underdog role by Cheatham can certainly be used to motivate them to play at an exceptionally high level. Intensity will be high on both sides so I think this one could be closer than some might expect.

Harpeth got a much needed booster shot with their win over Waverly on Friday. After a rough first half of the season schedule, it was good to see them play well, and it gives them momentum for the second half of the season. Cheatham Co started off struggling this season, but has made huge strides the past 3 weeks with their win over MC and a close, tough game with Greenbrier. This isn't the same Cub team that started the season, and they are much better now than they were six weeks ago.

I wish the best of luck to both teams Friday night.

I will try to have some GAME NOTES uploaded tonight on the Cheatham Cus Football Fan Page. I am glad to get to go to a road game in the district that allows us to broadcast a game from a pressbox. The idea of standing in the home bleachers right below the P.A. speakers at Stewart County & Montgomery Central didn't strike me as too "great" but we did manage and were thankful just to have electricity to broadcast. The facilities for the radio station as well as the coaches and film are really good for visitors over at Harpeth.

Last week would have been a great opportunity to get Harpeth on the radio with Cheatham having the BYE WEEK. I have tried in the past to get Harpeth on board and I know that coach Jamie Wilson does like to keep everyone up to date on the basketball program every chance he gets. I wish we could find a way to cycle the show and move it from Pleasant View-to-Ashland City-to-Kingston Springs and alternate the sites of the broadcast week after week after week. Unfortunately the owner of the radio station and the businesses in the cities of each school frankly do not care enough about these kids (high school athletics) in order to get a deal worked out. That is truly something that is very sad IMHO because the kids from all of the schools deserve to get recognized if they are part of a county.

From already played cheatham county, i know one thing about them: size. if cheatham can be a little bit more of a disiplined team, then i see a bright future for them, but harpeth brings speed to the game.

Harpeth: 24

Cheatham Co: 14

Good luck to both teams.. Stewart Co. will be lookin foward to our final game of the season against Harpeth. It will be a fun one.

Harpeth beat Cheatham County in the renewal of the county rivalry game 35-7.

Harpeth took the opening kickoff back to Cheatham's 48 and scored 3 plays later on a 28 yd. Jeremy Roark to Perry Horkins TD pass. Josh Dillon blocked Cheatham's punt after a 3 and out and took it inside the 10 where Nathan Foriest plowed in from the 1. Another 3 and out and a punt return set up Harpeth just inside the 50 where the Indians again scored in 3 plays with Dakota Seagraves busting up the middle from the 8. It was 21-0 with just over 5 minutes left in the first quarter.

Things settled down somewhat from there. Nathan Foriest scored from 46 yds out a couple of possessions later and Shaun Montgomery put Cheatham on the board from the 3. Travis Tice capped the scoring with a 35 yd burst in the third and Owen Canady remained perfect on the year on extra point attempts.

Josh Dillon had a big night with an interception to go with his blocked punt and he also sacked the punter on another punt attempt. Perry Horkins had an interception in the end zone and Jacob Conatser had 14 tackles on the night.

Cheatham is young, but they'll be a force in the next couple of years. They are physical and play hard nosed. They really suffered from poor field position early and got in a big hole as it looked like Harpeth was trying to build a big lead before the rain came. Luckily a few sprinkles was all there was, but the gate was really hurt by the forecast and the sloppy conditions.

It was good to take part in another rivalry game in Cheatham County last night, and we were fortunate that Mother Nature allowed them to play with no more than a few sprinkles here and there. Congratulations to Harpeth on their win over the Cubs!!!

It appears the Indians are doing what they need to do in District play to give themselves a chance for post season......at least thus far. Two District games remain and the Indians can punch their own ticket if they remain focused and continue to play well collectively. While the Indians make a trip next week to non-district opponent and undefeated Jo Byrns, it will be a good measuring stick to see if the Indians are on the right track....win or lose.

My hat is off to the Cheatham Cubs. They are a young team, and as KS mentioned, they will definitely be a force to be reckoned with next season. The one thing noted from the game last night is how hard the Cubs hit, and they never quit playing.