Blue Ridge Atheletic Conference

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senior Night for GHS has been moved to tomorrow (Friday) before the Cocke County Game at 6:00 p.m. This is also Pink Night for Cancer Awareness. So GHS faithful, come out and support the senior players, dancers, and cheerleaders and wear your Pink. Donations will go to Susan Ramsey, a GHS counselor battling pancreatic cancer.

Congratulations to Larry Ricker, former head coach at South Greene, for being inducted this year into the TSSAA Hall of Fame.

Yes congratulations Coach Ricker! You have been so strong living through so much adversity for the past few years and you deserve this honor!

:) YES! VERY DESERVING!!!

Greeneville did win the conference fair and square, but I'm still sticking to my comment about them being the worst Greeneville team in the last twenty years. Yes, Greenville did what they had to do and beat their competition this year, but IF you put them on the court against the last twenty Lady Devil teams, they would be 4-15 if that. Congratulations to the Devils on the season title. I'm still not sold on this team. I want to see what they do in the post season.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then because I still contend that this year's team is not any better or worse than the past Lady Devil teams - just way different. For many years the program has been geared towards 1 maybe 2 people to do most of the scoring and of course for everyone to play ferocious defense. The defensive strategy has not changed, nor should it. But this year, all of the starting 5 are strong offensively and can score in double figures. Every time they have had 3 or more of them to do it, they have won by large margins, allowing the JV to get their playing time. This team is becoming more consistent in this area right now AND at just the right time.

I'm sure the girls on the team probably don't appreciate nor do they need your very reluctant congratulations especially when preceded by all those insults and followed by all those doubts. Why bother? Other than to make a high school kid feel bad ... and I don't think you can say you weren't insulting the kids' talents personally because personnel is the only part of the equation that has changed in the last 5 years.

So here is another Congratulations (a sincere one) to the 2009-10 GHS Lady Devils! They are extremely talented, great kids with huge hearts, have a super work ethic. Not one of them has EVER been a discipline problem, been jealous of another players success or complained about playing time. They really understand the meaning of no "I" in TEAM. So, in retrospect, this does make them VERY different from some (definitely not all) of the former Lady Devil teams.

It ia awesome to hear that these girls are good girls. I'd rather hear a team with good grades, great attitudes, and hard work be successful. That makes a good team a great team. That is what I may be missing here. As far as attacking these girls and trying to make them feel bad, that makes me laugh. First off, if a post by some old has been hurts a little girl's feelings, or thier mother's feelings, that's too bad. Second, they probably shouldn't be on here anyways , atleast not paying attention. Never said these girls didn't have talent or took a shot at that like you are insinuating. Just don't think this years TEAM is as good as some in the past. Wether it's one girl scoring all the points or the five starters and the whole bench sharing the scoring roles, wether it is hard nose defense or a sit back zone that is hard to break, I have seen better GHS Lady Devil Teams in Hal Henard. That is all I said and I'm sticking to it. Good luck in the tourney.

Looks like Greeneville will get the first round bye and play the winner of The Gap and Grainger. Chuckey Doak will likely get West Greene and that winner will meet the winner of South Greene and Claiborne in the semis.

Bud its tough to be impressed with a balanced team when we are accustomed to having a potential Miss Basketball candidate in Green every year. Bryant, Lyons, Manuel, Dixon.....it was fun watching them go toe to toe with the likes of Sylvia Fowles and Glory Johnson and HANDLE them. This years team is just different. Without a "star" player, a team just has a different dynamic...not worse just different. Would I put them up against the 03 or 04 teams....no but teams like that with multiple all-state players are just not going to fall in your lap often and to put together a cohesive, effective team without a "marquis" player is quite an accomplishment for this young talented bunch of ladies. Fortunately, they don't have to compete with Devilettes from the past....and I'm pretty darn glad they aren't having to go through MoWest this year.....

But as Jordon would say, "There is an I in wIn."

Greeneville did win the conference fair and square, but I'm still sticking to my comment about them being the worst Greeneville team in the last twenty years. Yes, Greenville did what they had to do and beat their competition this year, but IF you put them on the court against the last twenty Lady Devil teams, they would be 4-15 if that. Congratulations to the Devils on the season title. I'm still not sold on this team. I want to see what they do in the post season.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then because I still contend that this year's team is not any better or worse than the past Lady Devil teams - just way different. For many years the program has been geared towards 1 maybe 2 people to do most of the scoring and of course for everyone to play ferocious defense. The defensive strategy has not changed, nor should it. But this year, all of the starting 5 are strong offensively and can score in double figures. Every time they have had 3 or more of them to do it, they have won by large margins, allowing the JV to get their playing time. This team is becoming more consistent in this area right now AND at just the right time.

I'm sure the girls on the team probably don't appreciate nor do they need your very reluctant congratulations especially when preceded by all those insults and followed by all those doubts. Why bother? Other than to make a high school kid feel bad ... and I don't think you can say you weren't insulting the kids' talents personally because personnel is the only part of the equation that has changed in the last 5 years.

So here is another Congratulations (a sincere one) to the 2009-10 GHS Lady Devils! They are extremely talented, great kids with huge hearts, have a super work ethic. Not one of them has EVER been a discipline problem, been jealous of another players success or complained about playing time. They really understand the meaning of no "I" in TEAM. So, in retrospect, this does make them VERY different from some (definitely not all) of the former Lady Devil teams.

It ia awesome to hear that these girls are good girls. I'd rather hear a team with good grades, great attitudes, and hard work be successful. That makes a good team a great team. That is what I may be missing here. As far as attacking these girls and trying to make them feel bad, that makes me laugh. First off, if a post by some old has been hurts a little girl's feelings, or thier mother's feelings, that's too bad. Second, they probably shouldn't be on here anyways , atleast not paying attention. Never said these girls didn't have talent or took a shot at that like you are insinuating. Just don't think this years TEAM is as good as some in the past. Wether it's one girl scoring all the points or the five starters and the whole bench sharing the scoring roles, wether it is hard nose defense or a sit back zone that is hard to break, I have seen better GHS Lady Devil Teams in Hal Henard. That is all I said and I'm sticking to it. Good luck in the tourney.

Looks like Greeneville will get the first round bye and play the winner of The Gap and Grainger. Chuckey Doak will likely get West Greene and that winner will meet the winner of South Greene and Claiborne in the semis.

Bud its tough to be impressed with a balanced team when we are accustomed to having a potential Miss Basketball candidate in Green every year. Bryant, Lyons, Manuel, Dixon.....it was fun watching them go toe to toe with the likes of Sylvia Fowles and Glory Johnson and HANDLE them. This years team is just different. Without a "star" player, a team just has a different dynamic...not worse just different. Would I put them up against the 03 or 04 teams....no but teams like that with multiple all-state players are just not going to fall in your lap often and to put together a cohesive, effective team without a "marquis" player is quite an accomplishment for this young talented bunch of ladies. Fortunately, they don't have to compete with Devilettes from the past....and I'm pretty darn glad they aren't having to go through MoWest this year.....

They wouldn't make it through MoWest or Cocke Co. And I don't think Beth Bryant was Miss Tennessee caliber. Good yes, but no superstar. She would probably be the first to tell you that.

They wouldn't make it through MoWest or Cocke Co. And I don't think Beth Bryant was Miss Tennessee caliber. Good yes, but no superstar. She would probably be the first to tell you that.

They just beat Cocke County Bud....and Beth was that good, she just wasn't all that flashy.

It is District Tournament Time of year, will there be any upsets?

Greeneville is #1 and gets a bye

Chucky Doak is # 2 and gets West Greene #7

Southe Greene is #3 and get Claiborne #6

Cumberland Gap [/color]is #4 and get Grainger #5Any upsets in the first round or will all the higher seeds advance? :roflol:

What do you Think?