District 12A

James417

Overall, these teams in this district have all been a disappointment. i guess the 12A teams arent as good as everyone thought once you get rid of those 6 guaranteed wins over MP, Zion, and Hamp. each year and actually have to play halfway decent teams each and every night.

Collinwood has been the most consistent team as of late, even though they lost by double digits to perry county early. i do think they are the most balanced with a solid point in ward, a long range threat in jones, and a workhorse in the paint in thompson (early mvp candidate). they may very well be the top team in the district, and if they can finish at the top, that would pretty much guarantee them a birth in the district championship game and a first round region game at home, which would be huge for our girls come tournament time.

Wayne county has also had a surprising average start, by their standards. i thought they would be much tougher with all the size they have. daniel has been great in the post, but she don't have any help from the guards, who for the most part are a turnover waiting to happen. little risner hasn't been quite as productive at the point as i thought she would be. coach byrd seems very laid back to me this season, not as in-to-the-game as in years past.

Perry county has got to be the biggest disappointment. they returned everyone from last year and yet they have a losing record (???), including a loss to summertown where i heard they blew a near 20 point lead late in the 2nd half! last year they striked me as a talented group, but kind of lazy at times. either way, they are without a doubt the most inconsistent team in12A this year, and usually inconsistency is a result of lack of preparation by the coaching staff and committment by the players.

Loretto has been about where i thought. they have quite a bit of size as well but don't seem to know how to use it to their advantage. often times it appears that everthing they do and every play they run is for abby laws. after seeing them play twice, i don't know if the coach just doesn't really trust anyone else on their team to shoot the ball or if they other girls don't want to have the ball, but it sure does seem like laws shoots nearly every possession.

Summertown is the only district team that i have not seen yet. they got crushed by wayne county and was beaten tonight by loretto. i would imagine that any team that is able to not crumble under their pressure is able to take care of them rather easily like wayne county did. i don't see them beating anyone else in the district outside of loretto or frank hughes the rest of the way.

Frank hughes is well.....frank hughes. not much to say about them.

as of tonight, i see the district ending up last this:

1. Collinwood - beats wayne co at home, but possibly loses to pc

2. Wayne county - ends up lossing both to collinwood, but should beat pc at home

3. Perry county - who knows forsure with them but dont think they will lose to loretto or stown at home

4. Loretto - probably won't beat any of the teams above them, could lose to stown at home

5. Summertown - could split with loretto, but don't think they will win anymore against the other three

6. Frank hughes - poor things may not win a game all year

If it works out like this, that district tournament game between loretto and summertown to see who will adavnce to region could be very intense.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, these teams in this district have all been a disappointment. i guess the 12A teams arent as good as everyone thought once you get rid of those 6 guaranteed wins over MP, Zion, and Hamp. each year and actually have to play halfway decent teams each and every night.

Collinwood has been the most consistent team as of late, even though they lost by double digits to perry county early. i do think they are the most balanced with a solid point in ward, a long range threat in jones, and a workhorse in the paint in thompson (early mvp candidate). they may very well be the top team in the district, and if they can finish at the top, that would pretty much guarantee them a birth in the district championship game and a first round region game at home, which would be huge for our girls come tournament time.

Wayne county has also had a surprising average start, by their standards. i thought they would be much tougher with all the size they have. daniel has been great in the post, but she don't have any help from the guards, who for the most part are a turnover waiting to happen. little risner hasn't been quite as productive at the point as i thought she would be. coach byrd seems very laid back to me this season, not as in-to-the-game as in years past.

Perry county has got to be the biggest disappointment. they returned everyone from last year and yet they have a losing record (???), including a loss to summertown where i heard they blew a near 20 point lead late in the 2nd half! last year they striked me as a talented group, but kind of lazy at times. either way, they are without a doubt the most inconsistent team in12A this year, and usually inconsistency is a result of lack of preparation by the coaching staff and committment by the players.

Loretto has been about where i thought. they have quite a bit of size as well but don't seem to know how to use it to their advantage. often times it appears that everthing they do and every play they run is for abby laws. after seeing them play twice, i don't know if the coach just doesn't really trust anyone else on their team to shoot the ball or if they other girls don't want to have the ball, but it sure does seem like laws shoots nearly every possession.

Summertown is the only district team that i have not seen yet. they got crushed by wayne county and was beaten tonight by loretto. i would imagine that any team that is able to not crumble under their pressure is able to take care of them rather easily like wayne county did. i don't see them beating anyone else in the district outside of loretto or frank hughes the rest of the way.

Frank hughes is well.....frank hughes. not much to say about them.

as of tonight, i see the district ending up last this:

1. Collinwood - beats wayne co at home, but possibly loses to pc

2. Wayne county - ends up lossing both to collinwood, but should beat pc at home

3. Perry county - who knows forsure with them but dont think they will lose to loretto or stown at home

4. Loretto - probably won't beat any of the teams above them, could lose to stown at home

5. Summertown - could split with loretto, but don't think they will win anymore against the other three

6. Frank hughes - poor things may not win a game all year

If it works out like this, that district tournament game between loretto and summertown to see who will adavnce to region could be very intense.

Hey AB23 WC and PC don't have 6 guaranteed wins like cwood yall still have MP, Hamp, and now Cully on the schedule.

Both PC and WC have top 15 strongest schedules on this site. That might be the reason WC and PC have not got off to a great start. I have seen PC's and WC's practices this year and they are not laid back or unprepared. Your Cwood better be ready when these teams come to the wood. I know PC will be ready.

Well suprise suprise ! :thumb: Summertown gets better every game, last week beating Collinwood at coll. and Perry co. at perr. for the second time, their defense allways good but now with the post defense stepping up (12 blocks @ coll. 8 @ perr. for #32) they wil be hard to handle for anyone the rest of the of the way . Tonite will be another big test for the Lady Eagles, Wayne co. @ Summertown , Their last metting was not a good showing partly due LE missing 3 starters for part of the game. anyone who tries to predict this district must allways put Summertown Ladys and coach Willard in the the mix, not to is a big mistake ! :ph34r:

Well suprise suprise ! :lol: Summertown gets better every game, last week beating Collinwood at coll. and Perry co. at perr. for the second time, their defense allways good but now with the post defense stepping up (12 blocks @ coll. 8 @ perr. for #32) they wil be hard to handle for anyone the rest of the of the way . Tonite will be another big test for the Lady Eagles, Wayne co. @ Summertown , Their last metting was not a good showing partly due LE missing 3 starters for part of the game. anyone who tries to predict this district must allways put Summertown Ladys and coach Willard in the the mix, not to is a big mistake ! :lol:

Go Cats :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

For the 12A folks, here are the final District 12A Standings, after last night's games:

1. Wayne County

2. Summertown

3. Perry County

4. Collinwood

5. Loretto

6. Frank Hughes

After Loretto's overtime loss to Wayne County and Collinwood's loss to Summertown last night, I believe the District 12A standings are now set in stone. The outcome of the Loretto/Perry County game on Tuesday will not matter as a win by either team won't change the standings (so long as tie-breaker rules haven't changed in recent years). So, the District 12A Tournament should look like this:

1st Round

#3 Perry County vs. #6 Frank Hughes

#4 Collinwood vs. #5 Loretto

Semifinals

#1 Wayne County vs. Winner of Collinwood/Loretto

#2 Summertown vs. Winner of Perry County/Frank Hughes

So, it appears Collinwood and Loretto are poised to play in the ill-fated #4/#5 game, where if you lose, your season is done. Summertown and Perry County seem poised for another classic clash between these two rivals in that semifinal game. And Wayne County will have a tough semifinal game regardless of who wins the Collinwood/Loretto game. This is the most balanced, I can remember this district being in a long time. Wayne County has a slight edge, but the 12A Tournament could end up going any number of ways this year.