Big Games in Memphis ... Week 9

kwc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with onefortheteam. Should be a great matchup. I think with the Tigers being off this week and especially since they moved the game to Millington I will attend this game also. Maybe we can sit together onefortheteam. Doug, you providing the popcorn?

Where is the best place to park over there?

I agree with onefortheteam. Should be a great matchup. I think with the Tigers being off this week and especially since they moved the game to Millington I will attend this game also. Maybe we can sit together onefortheteam. Doug, you providing the popcorn?

One of the Millington guys can probably tell you better, but I always park in the community center parking lot. It's the one that backs up to the pressbox side of the field.

What about Wooddale vs Southwind?

Can KWC or any of the guys give a little insight on Woodale?

They have to be the most improved team in Memphis.

Woodale 30 -- Southwind 14

-----------------------------------------------

Woodale is 6 -2 but could EASILY be 8 - 0, or certainly 7-1..... They should have defeated Germantown (I fault the Coach's "Prevent" defense for the last-second loss to Gtwn). They OUTPLAYED Melrose but simply couldn't "finish" the deal.

[Note: Woodale gets extremely impatient in the Red Zone.....almost as if they think that the end zone is just gonna' suddenly get up and run away or something! That's when their execution is POOREST, as they appear to really lose their focus.]

Woodale runs a Spread Offense and uses many different "looks" including the "Wildcat," which was wildly successful (nearly unstoppable) vs Gtwn. They are definitely more run-oriented but have a good, short passing game. As such, they are very good at keeping a defense off-balance. Good blockers....They also have good speed (on both sides of the ball) and thrive on the big-play. Their lack-of-discipline causes them to self-destruct often, particularly when they are forced to sustain long-play drives....I noticed 2 or 3 playmakers for them.

Defensively, they are very aggressive (not AS aggressive as White Station) and swarm to the ball. They accrue a lot of tackles-for-losses. They have a tendency to over-persue, however, and-- as a result, often get caught out of position. Overall, they have a good and fast defense but are very vulnerable to big plays.... I don't remember their base defense, but I do recall that they have good size.

Woodale's biggest NEGATIVE is a lack-of-discipline and sloppy execution!!!!

Woodale is actually a good team that is a clear notch below White Station, IMO. If they weren't so SEVERELY penalty-prone and executed better......Well, those are the very sort of things that usually seperate the Championship-caliber teams from the sea of "good" teams. Of course, Woodale has no kicking game (Mphs City Schools' achillies heel)!

-------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line: I honestly don't think that Southwind can compete with Woodale, for 4 quarters.

Nevertheless, if Southwind can prevent the "gashing" 20+ yard running plays and force Woodale to sustain those 12 -13 play drives, then Southwind can keep this game respectable. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long and frustrating night for SW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate it, but I don't think you can take my "unknowledgeable and unsaavy sense of humor". :roflol:

I probably won't get off anyway.

Ok folks, it's Week 9 and everything is coming into focus. The next two weeks will decide who is in and who isn't. This is my look at what I think to be the 'Big Games in Memphis ... Week 9'.

Division I

District 14:

Millington (6A, 5-3, 4-0) @ Craigmont (5A, 6-2, 2-2)

District 15:

Ridgeway (5A, 3-4, 2-2) @ Germantown (6A, 7-1, 5-0) [Trap Game for Germantown?]

District 16:

Memphis East (5A, 2-6, 1-3) @ Whitehaven (6A, 7-1, 4-1) [Trap Game for Whitehaven?]

Division II

Class A

FACS (A, 7-1, 4-1) @ St. Goerge's (A, 5-3, 4-3) [Must win game for St. Goerge's]

Class AA

CBHS (AA, 7-1, 1-0) @ MUS (AA, 8-0, 1-0) [The winner is the Big Dog in D-II]

Briarcrest (AA, 6-2, 0-1) @ St. Benedict (AA, 3-5, 0-1) [Playing for the number 3 spot in D-II]

My picks are as follows:

Millington proves to be too much and wins ............... ................... 21 - 7

Germantown stays focused and wins convincingly .......................... 21 - 7

Whitehaven leaves nothing to chance and soundly wins .................. 28 - 14

FACS is just too much for St. George's and wins ............................ 21 - 14

MUS gets the job done and is the top dog winning ......................... 28 - 14

Briarcrest isn't about to lose this game and win BIG ....................... 28 -7

That's it for me. How do you guys pick?

My Pick: No scores no idea!

Millington

Woodale

Whitehaven

FACS

MUS

Briarcrest

What about Wooddale vs Southwind?

Can KWC or any of the guys give a little insight on Woodale?

They have to be the most improved team in Memphis.

Woodale 30 -- Southwind 14

-----------------------------------------------

Woodale is 6 -2 but could EASILY be 8 - 0, or certainly 7-1..... They should have defeated Germantown (I fault the Coach's "Prevent" defense for the last-second loss to Gtwn). They OUTPLAYED Melrose but simply couldn't "finish" the deal.

You know what they say about the prevent defense...it only prevents you from winning.

Bingo! We probably won't hear a peep out of Millington fans the next two weeks. The possibility of finishing the regular season 5-5 may have them a little uneasy. Just my guess, but it seems like the Millington folks may be worried about their region dominance coming to an end.

Who really dominates their region every year besides Maryville, Maybe a year or 2 on the Top and then you expect a little slide. It would be nice to think Millington has dominated every year but Cordova had their turn, Bolton had their years, Ridgeway jumped in in had a couple great years, millington had a couple years, It is just hard to stay on top unless all the teams in your region are bad every year and that just does happen in West TN. I hope Millington can win the region and maybe they will but others are jumping into the bright lights this year. The key for all of the teams with playoff chances is to improve week by week, hope they get a good draw in the playoffs and play their best football when the post season begins.

Has Arlington Improved through out the season? Will they be ready for a Whitestation or Whitehaven?

Has Craigmont improved will they be able to compete with a Mitchell or Melrose?

Has Millington? Germantown? Ridgeway? WS? WH?

Will your team be healthy? So many variables in being successful in the post season.

Will any of our teams be able to get past Middle TN in the Semi's this year? looks like a possible Brentwood or Franklin team may be the matchup in 6A.