2A Playoff picture following week eight! (including seeding)

FridayMainEvent

Well a few things changed over the weekend. We now have 20 teams automatically qualified as of week eight. Two of those automatics are still up in the air. The Cosby/Unaka winner would get the automatic as the 2nd place finisher in District 1. The Oliver Springs/ Wartburg Central winner would qualify as the 2nd place finisher in District 4. Here are the Automatics, to date:

Hampton ***

Cosby/Unaka (winner) **

Tellico Plains *

Oneida ***

Oliver Springs/Wartburg Central (winner) **

Boyd Buchanan ***

Silverdale **

Signal Mountain **

Trousdale County ***

Friendship Christian **

Cascade ***

Forrest **

East Robertson **

Mt. Pleasant *

McKenzie ***

Humboldt **

Adamsville ***

Riverside **

Douglass ***

Westwood **

*** = Leading District

** = Second in District

* = Top half in class in District

(more stars means higher seed)

Wildcards if Oliver Springs wins:

1. Watertown

2. Rockwood

3. Marion County

4. Dresden

Wildcards if Wartburg wins:

1. Watertown

2. Rockwood

3. Oliver Springs

4. Marion County

Four VERY important games that could change wildcard drastically over the next two weeks:

Rockwood vs. Harriman

Oliver Springs vs. Wartburg

Cosby vs. Unaka

Marion County/ Lookout Valley

A look at current quads with Oliver Springs winning their game:

Quad 1

1. Hampton

2. Oneida

3. Oliver Springs

4. Cosby/Oneida (winner

5. Tellico Plains

6. Rockwood

Quad 2

1. Trousdale County

2. Boyd Buchanan

3. Signal Mountain

4. Silverdale

5. Watertown

6. Marion County

Quad 3

1. Cascade

2. Frienship

3. Forrest

4. East Robertson

5. Mt. Pleasant

6. Riverside

Quad 4

1. McKenzie

2. Adamsville

3. Douglass

4. Humboldt

5. Westwood

6. Dresden

I seeded the quads putting district champs first, runner ups second, top half of District third, and wild cards last. In cases were two district champs or second places were in the same quad, I used the wild card qualifying chart. As I stated, lots can change in the next two weeks. Most notably is White House Heritage would move into the playoff picture if anyone stumbles based on the fact I feel they will win their remaining two games. If that happens, Friendship would likely get moved back East. Unless, WHH replaces Dresden as a wild card and then Riverside would get sent back West. It's gonna get interesting!

^_^

I'm not sure this is accurate. The rules state that automatic qualifiers hit the bracket first, and those are:

a. Teams that finish 1st or 2nd in their district.

b. Teams that finish in the top half of the teams from their Subdivision (Class 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A)

Not the top half of their district. So if you finish 19th in wins (since there are 39 2A teams) you would get an automatic berth. Then the wild cards are distributed in order after that.

Am I missing something?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wondering since these new classifications were all about driving distance being shortened. I would imagine Boyd and many others would drive across the state to get out of TC, FC Quad. LOL

I was thinking the same thing about you guys! ^_^ The later down the road we have to play Boyd, the better. But we'll probably end up in the same quad, with a whale of a game in the quarter finals.......hopefully. ^_^^_^

I sure rather play TC in the championship than the quarter finals if we are lucky enough to get there. Losing the championship would not hurt as bad.

I'm not sure this is accurate. The rules state that automatic qualifiers hit the bracket first, and those are:

b. Teams that finish in the top half of the teams from their Subdivision (Class 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A)

Not the top half of their district. So if you finish 19th in wins (since there are 39 2A teams) you would get an automatic berth. Then the wild cards are distributed in order after that.

Am I missing something?

I'm sure. Go to the football handbook on the tssaa website. It is the top half of your sub-division within your district. They even break it down for you:

8 2a teams in a district equal 4 qualifiers

7 2a teams within a diastrict equals 3 qualifiers and so on.

I think this is what I am reading, but is it mathematically impossible for TCA to get in?

As much as I want TCA to make the show, unless I am missing something, I think that the best TCA could mathamatically hope for would be #25. As you know, only 24 make the show. If TCA ends up #25, you could thank the TSSAA for creating a system in which the one win Westwood team gets a second automatic birth from a weak THREE TEAM DISTRICT.

Mathamatically, TCA could tie for the final wild card spot with Marion County if Marion County drops their final two games, Dresden losses their last game, and Jackson County only wins one of thier last two. Unfortunatly, if I am reading the TSSAA material correctly, TCA would bow out to Marion County on the second tie breaker which is most wins against teams that have won 50 % or more of their games. Marion Co. has two such wins, TCA only has one.

I am sorry I could not deliver better news. ^_^

Wow, I think everyone needs to rethink what they have. Here is what the rules say.

Teams shall qualify for the play-offs as either an automatic qualifier or as a wild card. Automatic qualifiers are placed in the bracket first. The remaining slots shall be filled with wild card qualifiers. Automatic qualifiers shall be determined as follows:

Ex.: 8 teams in a Subdivision = 4 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

7 teams in a Subdivision = 3 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

6 teams in a Subdivision = 3 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

5 teams in a Subdivision = 2 automatic qualifiers from that Subdivision

4 teams in a Subdivision = 2 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

3 teams in a Subdivision = at least 1 automatic qualifier from the Subdivision

2 teams in a Subdivision = at least 1 automatic qualifier from the Subdivision

1 team in a Subdivision = 0 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

In the event that more than 24 teams qualify for the Class 1A and Class 2A playoffs as automatic qualifiers, or more than 32 teams qualify for the 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A playoffs, the following tie-breaking procedures will be applied to all teams. (After each of the following steps have been applied, if one team has beaten all the other teams during the regular season, that team shall be entered into the football play-offs.)

So if you take what it is saying and look at District 4 they have 7 teams. Currently the top 3 teams in the district are 2A teams Oneida, Oliver Springs and Wartburg Central. If it turns out this way all 3 teams are automatic qualifiers based on the above criteria.

Also look at district 12 there are 6 teams meaning the top 3 teams qualify, which means Dresden would be an automatic qualifier as they are currently sitting in 3rd.

All this means the next two weeks will have a significant impact on the playoff picture, both in 1A and 2A. Wild Cards could be extremely limited.

Wow, I think everyone needs to rethink what they have. Here is what the rules say.

Teams shall qualify for the play-offs as either an automatic qualifier or as a wild card. Automatic qualifiers are placed in the bracket first. The remaining slots shall be filled with wild card qualifiers. Automatic qualifiers shall be determined as follows:

Ex.: 8 teams in a Subdivision = 4 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

7 teams in a Subdivision = 3 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

6 teams in a Subdivision = 3 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

5 teams in a Subdivision = 2 automatic qualifiers from that Subdivision

4 teams in a Subdivision = 2 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

3 teams in a Subdivision = at least 1 automatic qualifier from the Subdivision

2 teams in a Subdivision = at least 1 automatic qualifier from the Subdivision

1 team in a Subdivision = 0 automatic qualifiers from the Subdivision

In the event that more than 24 teams qualify for the Class 1A and Class 2A playoffs as automatic qualifiers, or more than 32 teams qualify for the 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A playoffs, the following tie-breaking procedures will be applied to all teams. (After each of the following steps have been applied, if one team has beaten all the other teams during the regular season, that team shall be entered into the football play-offs.)

So if you take what it is saying and look at District 4 they have 7 teams. Currently the top 3 teams in the district are 2A teams Oneida, Oliver Springs and Wartburg Central. If it turns out this way all 3 teams are automatic qualifiers based on the above criteria.

Also look at district 12 there are 6 teams meaning the top 3 teams qualify, which means Dresden would be an automatic qualifier as they are currently sitting in 3rd.

All this means the next two weeks will have a significant impact on the playoff picture, both in 1A and 2A. Wild Cards could be extremely limited.

Respectfully speaking, you are NOT interpreting the information correctly. If you go to the TSSAA region standings page, a much more simple version of who makes the show is attatched to each district. Subdivisions means the amount of teams from one class in a particular district. Using your example, District 4 has 7 total teams. There are 4 teams in the 2A subdivision and 3 teams in the 1A subdivision.

Hope my brief explanation is able to help you.

Respectfully speaking, you are NOT interpreting the information correctly. If you go to the TSSAA region standings page, a much more simple version of who makes the show is attatched to each district. Subdivisions means the amount of teams from one class in a particular district. Using your example, District 4 has 7 total teams. There are 4 teams in the 2A subdivision and 3 teams in the 1A subdivision.

Hope my brief explanation is able to help you.

As usual, you are absolutely correct, Reitz. He was omitting a very important word, "subdivision.". :roflol: