District 7AA for 2009-10

basketballnut

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Green Thumbs Up was a jinx, not unlike the one you gave Signal Mt last week :roll:

Walker Valley 65-31 over Sequatchie at Walker Valley. Rough night in virtually every way, not the least of which was one of the players getting 7 stitches in the head after a collision while handling the ball in the open court, in full view of everyone. It wasn't dirty or intentional in any way but still deserved a regular foul. Play was stopped as blood was hitting the floor and running down her face, I guess they thought she just had nosebleeds, maybe. That was typical of the night's officiating with the refs telling a player who clearly got arm on consecutive shots in the lane "now you can't hack like that" instead of just blowing the whistle and putting the shooter at the line. Officiating definitely didn't affect the outcome as WV led by around 25 at the half and backed off by the late third quarter, but it made a bad night worse. The teams play again next week so Sequatchie will get a chance to see how much they can get better, in every way, before then.

Polk 78-51 over Sequatchie tonight. Polk is one of the best teams in the area, any class, lost by just 2 to Northwest Whitfield GA (6'5" and 6'3" posts, good guards) the other night but Sequatchie had some chances to make it a better game. They had double-digit field goal misses right underneath the basket, many totally uncontested and still shot 45 percent even with those particular misses. Those will fall when players get more experience in varsity games and more confidence. Sequatchie did a lot better offensively than against Walker Valley even before Polk cleared the bench, defense was often a mess but even with Polk the cause a lot of it there's things that can be corrected. Not committing so many "silly fouls" helping lead to a 33-10 foul shot attempt advantage will be part of it, too.

Sequatchie's Carlton led her team in scoring with 16, McAfee had 9 points, 8 rebounds, Barker also scored nine and didn't have many turnovers at point. Rogers led Polk with 30, 1 less than she had against NWW. German was credited with 8 assists. German has definite Division I ability, had she wanted to go that route instead of signing with Lee. Polk should give McMinn Central all they want in the district this year.

Sequatchie 54-50 over Meigs today in the Walker Valley tournament. Quality win against an experienced team. Seq led 18-6 after a quarter, led 24-22 at the half, 43-39 after 3. Sequatchie went ahead 51-49 with 30 seconds left, made 3-4 free throws in the last 10 or so seconds to hold on.

Sequatchie's Barker scored 16, McDonough had 15. Tilley had 12 for Meigs, Shaver 10. Meigs had only 12 field goals but attempted 34 FT, Sequatchie made 10-16.

Sequatchie did a lot of things wrong still but did a lot more right than against Polk, mainly committing a dozen less turnovers. They have tough games Friday and Saturday against Red Bank and Walker Valley but this is good to help prepare for district games. Meigs wasn't a bad team by any means either.

Grundy freaking DOMINATED Smith Co. winning by 30+. Grundy led the whole game. I am pretty sure Chelsey Wiseman was the leading scorer with about 30. Meeks had at least 15 or more assists. It was a man slaughter and Grundy cleared their bench the whole 4th quarter. I would be scared to play this team. I am pretty sure that if the D-1 signee would have played the outcome would not have changed.