5A Playoffs the way I see it....after week 9.

randymc

I think there may be some shuffling done to avoid 3 wild cards in one quad. At least I would hope so....

Very good point GoChiefs! It would be hard for me to think there would be three WC teams in one Quad. I would say they would need to be placed around in the quads to even them out. Two should be the most in any quad! Randy, what are your thoughts on this??

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there may be some shuffling done to avoid 3 wild cards in one quad. At least I would hope so....

Why would it matter how many wild card teams are in a certain quad? Are you saying that a wild card team is not as talented as an automatic qualifier?

Why would it matter how many wild card teams are in a certain quad? Are you saying that a wild card team is not as talented as an automatic qualifier?

I for one would not say that directly. One would however tend to believe that though. The way the new system is set up a WC team could win the state! That is one thing that makes the new system good. With the WC teams not being spread out then it would keep these teams closer to home and wouldn't penalize them for not winning the games they should have. There will always be teams left out but that is just life! I just hope on Saturday there has been an attempt

to make the playoffs fair. This will be very interesting to see how it all pans out!! :thumb:

In some cases, yes the automatic qualifiers are better. Not to slight the teams that get in as a WC, but I don't think you can argue with the point that a team like Lawrence Co. is better than a team such as Springfield. As randy has it right now, there are 3 WC teams in Quad 3 along with a 2-7 Hillsboro team. At the same time, you throw Lawrence Co. into a pretty strong Quad 4. Not doubting randy's evaluation, because Lawrence Co. is close to the Memphis area teams geographically. I just think the TSSAA needs to try to even out the quads as much as possible.

TSSAA.org says they will be grouped geographically....maybe they will stretch things a little bit, but the fact that their are no wildcard teams in west TN makes balancing them nearly impossible. And there is nothing to be ashamed of for being a WC team, in a lot of cases they are better than half the automatics, so therefore spreading them out doesn't matter.

Here's a question that has probably already been answered on this thread, but I didn't see it......Once playoffs begin, will the first three games be played within your quad?

Think of the Quad as a mini tournament with 1 playing 8 2 & 7 3 & 6 and 4&5, winner of 1&8 play winner of 4*5, etc...the winners of each quad make up the semi finals with quad 1 playing quad 2 and 3 playing 4.

Very good point GoChiefs! It would be hard for me to think there would be three WC teams in one Quad. I would say they would need to be placed around in the quads to even them out. Two should be the most in any quad! Randy, what are your thoughts on this??

Read above. The way I see it, Lawrence Co for example, is a lot better than an Hillsboro or Centennial, so the WC status doesn't really mean a whole lot. If Lawrence Co loses to Tullahoma Friday night, they become a WC team. In 6A, Oakland, one of the better teams in the state, defending 5A state champs, would be a WC team if they lose friday night, and might not have any regulation loses. So to me the emphasis placed on WC teams when it comes to seeding is really crazy.

Read above. The way I see it, Lawrence Co for example, is a lot better than an Hillsboro or Centennial, so the WC status doesn't really mean a whole lot. If Lawrence Co loses to Tullahoma Friday night, they become a WC team. In 6A, Oakland, one of the better teams in the state, defending 5A state champs, would be a WC team if they lose friday night, and might not have any regulation loses. So to me the emphasis placed on WC teams when it comes to seeding is really crazy.

Randmc...i couldn't agree more. I think much of the confusion lies in the idea that the seeding will be based on overall record...which I believe couldn't be further from accurate. Melrose for example plays Whitehaven this week. I believe Whitehaven will probably win...leaving Melrose with a 5-5 record. Their other 4 losses being to Madison, MS, Christian Brothers, Ridgeway, and White Station. There is no way this team should be an 8 seed when in reality WOULD beat Lawrence Co. (8-2) Jax Northside (8-2) or Hardin Co. (7-3)..assuming Northside beats Hardin Co. this Friday night. In my opinion...and in the opinion of most everyone I've talked to, Hardin County should be the 8th seed in the West (Quad 4) and not Melrose. This is just one example of the many across the state where records will be EXTREMELY deceiving! Remember..just a few years ago..a 2-8 Memphis Sheffield went to 10-0 Dyersburg and beat the Trojans in the first round in the old playoff system. There WILL be an upset in the #1 or #2 seeds somewhere in Tennessee week 11...mark it down...it will happen! I'm just hoping it doesn't occur in Paris!!

I've read repeatatively on several threads where Lawrence Co. and Hardin Co. will square off week 1...i have yet to see where that is even a remote possibility unless one team is a #4 seed and the other a #5 in the West quad which is certainly unlikely.

Randmc...i couldn't agree more. I think much of the confusion lies in the idea that the seeding will be based on overall record...which I believe couldn't be further from accurate. Melrose for example plays Whitehaven this week. I believe Whitehaven will probably win...leaving Melrose with a 5-5 record. Their other 4 losses being to Madison, MS, Christian Brothers, Ridgeway, and White Station. There is no way this team should be an 8 seed when in reality WOULD beat Lawrence Co. (8-2) Jax Northside (8-2) or Hardin Co. (7-3)..assuming Northside beats Hardin Co. this Friday night. In my opinion...and in the opinion of most everyone I've talked to, Hardin County should be the 8th seed in the West (Quad 4) and not Melrose. This is just one example of the many across the state where records will be EXTREMELY deceiving! Remember..just a few years ago..a 2-8 Memphis Sheffield went to 10-0 Dyersburg and beat the Trojans in the first round in the old playoff system. There WILL be an upset in the #1 or #2 seeds somewhere in Tennessee week 11...mark it down...it will happen! I'm just hoping it doesn't occur in Paris!!

I've read repeatatively on several threads where Lawrence Co. and Hardin Co. will square off week 1...i have yet to see where that is even a remote possibility unless one team is a #4 seed and the other a #5 in the West quad which is certainly unlikely.

I am not too sure about 5A teams, as I don't pay much attention to them through the season, but I know in some quads, it looks like you will be better off #8 than #7 or #6.

So how do you think quad 4 will be seeded?

Assuming the teams win that you would think would win, I see the seeding going like this:

1) Henry County

2) Craigmont

3) Jackson Northside

4) Lawrence County

5) Hardin County

6) Mitchell

7) Melrose

8) Ridgeway

This is assuming that the quad is put together with these teams. IMO, this quad and quad 1 look to be the toughest from top to bottom.

Assuming the teams win that you would think would win, I see the seeding going like this:

1) Henry County

2) Craigmont

3) Jackson Northside

4) Lawrence County

5) Hardin County

6) Mitchell

7) Melrose

8) Ridgeway

This is assuming that the quad is put together with these teams. IMO, this quad and quad 1 look to be the toughest from top to bottom.

Slapper.......If this quad is correct then this is where the LCHS/Hardin matchup comes from. Simple if this is the way it works out. Now do you see why this has been talked about. I also agree that this would be a "SUPER" quad! Could be some battles being played here. Quad 1 would also be very good too!