5A Playoffs the way I see it....after week 9.

randymc

Your logic is normally right on target but you will have to explain to me how you can possibly get Mitchell as a #8 seed. I don't see how that is possible even if they lose this Friday. Please explain.

Mitchell's #8 seeding is based on this pecking order, as submitted by "slapper:"

Seeding will be based on this pecking order:

1st Place Qualifiers (Winner of District)

2nd Place Qualifier (Second in District)

Automatic Qualifier (Not 1st or 2nd but qualify based on number of teams in district in their class)

Wild Card (teams that dont qualify based on other criteria)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Since Mitchell is an Automatic qualifier, they might possibly move higher than 8th (higher than "Wildcard" teams?). I'm not exactly sure ... I just know that Mitchell MUST remain below Melrose, who is only 3rd in the District. Mitchell is 4th in the District (behind WS, WH and Melr). Thus, both Melrose and Mitchell both MUST be seeded below those other 5A playoff teams who finished 1st or 2nd in their District.

After all that, then I think that overall records might come into play--seedingwise. That's the part that I'm unsure of.... If that's the case, then Melrose MUST be seeded below Craigmont--who will 2nd or 3rd in their district, and several other teams from other Districts.

As you can see, Melrose continues to gets pushed (seeded) lower and lower...and so does Mitchell!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeding will be based on this pecking order:

1st Place Qualifiers (Winner of District)

2nd Place Qualifier (Second in District)

Automatic Qualifier (Not 1st or 2nd but qualify based on number of teams in district in their class)

Wild Card (teams that dont qualify based on other criteria)

Based on this, no team that is an automatic qualifier shall be placed higher than a 1st or 2nd place qualifier unless you have to do so to keep two teams from the same district playing each other in the first round of the playoffs! I hope this helps!

This is as simple as it gets, and what I have been trying to say for days! WC teams get seeded after all automatic qualifiers in a Quad, so therefore Mitchell would have to be 7th or 8th. No way around it, like it or not.

You West Tennessee folks may know the West well but you obviously know nothing about Lawrence Co. You keep disregarding them and placing them low in the seeding process and talking like they will get hammered by a Ridgeway or a Melrose.

The Wildcats are very solid with an outstanding defense. They don't make mistakes and they have a great punting game. The control the clock and wear teams out. They would be formidable foe for any team in this quadrant if things work out this way.

However, if they indeed finish second in District 8-AAA with an 8-2 overall record I don't see them getting sent this far west. In fact, if they finish that strong they will likely host a first-round game.

Lawrence Co will host if they beat Tullahoma friday night and are placed in Quad 4, or any other Quad probably, as long as there weren't 3 #1's in that Quad.

Your logic is normally right on target but you will have to explain to me how you can possibly get Mitchell as a #8 seed. I don't see how that is possible even if they lose this Friday. Please explain.

Mitchel can't be seeded above ANY automatic qualifier in it's quad, period, end of discussion. As much as you, me, or anyone likes it or not, those are the rules.

please explain, how if two teams are both automatic qualifiers like Melrose and Mitchell are both automatic qualifiers and neither is first or second place autos,melrose is 3rd in district and Mitchell is fourth, Ridgeway falls in the same boat, I think the seeding should end up with

these are projected finishes

1. Henry county 9-1

2. Jackson NS 7-3

3. Craigmont 6-4

4. Ridgeway 5-5

5. Melrose 5-5

6. Mitchell 7-3

7. Clarksville NW 6-4

8. Hardin County 7-3

Ridgeway and Melrose are both qualifiers with same record and Melrose lost to ridgeway, Mitchell comes in behind Melrose due to head to head, NW should be 8th but due to same district as Henry county they go to 7th and Hardin county after losing to norhtside will drop to 8th. There is a multitude of possibilities that everyone is unsure, this quad is loaded, I see 3-4 teams with the talent to win the state title, Ridgeway, Melrose, Mitchell, and Henry county all in the same quad,, no other quad has this, this quad has lots of quirks, If NS beats Hardin county then Henry County and NS are the only two teams that will finish 1 or 2 in the quad. Craigmont, Ridgeway, Melrose Mitchell NW and Hardin County will all be autamtic qualifiers but not in the top 2 positions, Ridgeway beat Melrose with the same record, Mitchell lost to Melrose with a better record. I think the loser of Hardin County Northside will drop to the 8 position. Lawrence county could come this way,and nw go east, Mitchell could be 8th but if they win tomorrow night then can they drop to 8th with an 8-2 record. where does win loss records come in, I was under the assumption that that mattered but in this quad that is not apparent. and that is my two and a half cents.

Prophet.....not sure how you came up with all of this. Craigmont has already won 7 games......how do you figure theyll finish 6-4? Even if Hardin County loses, they will not drop below Melrose, Mitchell, or Ridgeway. Also, if Craigmont beats Bartlett and Arlington can find a way to stay undefeated and beat Millington, Craigmont finishes 2nd in their district. Not sure what will be used to determine who gets the higher seed when 2 2nd place district finishers have the same record, but I'm assuming there will be some sort of strength of schedule ranking. I also do not think that Ridgeway or Melrose are contenders to take state, but Mitchell could make some noise. But losing their RB will be a big hit.

Maybe I simply don't understand this but I think that I do. All of you who say that Mitchell will be an 8th seed and to the guy who said that Mitchell can't be seeded above ANY automatic qualifier, PLEASE explain this. HOW CAN MITCHELL (even if they lose to White Station and finish 7-3) POSSIBLY BE SEEDED ABOVE RIDGEWAY WHO CAN ONLY FINISH WITH A 5-5 RECORD IF THEY BEAT KIRBY? I don't see ANY way whatsoever that Mitchell can possibly be an 8 seed as long as Ridgeway is in the same quadrant, and they WILL be in the same quadrant. SOMEONE...ANYONE...tell me how that can be possible.

Maybe I simply don't understand this but I think that I do. All of you who say that Mitchell will be an 8th seed and to the guy who said that Mitchell can't be seeded above ANY automatic qualifier, PLEASE explain this. HOW CAN MITCHELL (even if they lose to White Station and finish 7-3) POSSIBLY BE SEEDED ABOVE RIDGEWAY WHO CAN ONLY FINISH WITH A 5-5 RECORD IF THEY BEAT KIRBY? I don't see ANY way whatsoever that Mitchell can possibly be an 8 seed as long as Ridgeway is in the same quadrant, and they WILL be in the same quadrant. SOMEONE...ANYONE...tell me how that can be possible.

Here we go again. Mitchell can not be seeded HIGHER than any team that finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in their district because Mitchell will finish 4th in their district. It's really that simple. Since there are no wildcards in this quad most likely, the only place they could be is 7th or 8th. 8th for sure if Ridgeway beats Kirby. Mitchell would hold the tiebreaker over Ridgeway BUT that would come into play ONLY if Ridgeway loses to Kirby. If Ridgeway beats Kirby, they will finish 3rd in their District, and Mitchell, as already stated, can't finish higher than 4th.

Mitchel can't be seeded above ANY automatic qualifier in it's quad, period, end of discussion. As much as you, me, or anyone likes it or not, those are the rules.

Sorry, I misspoke on this one, Mitchell is an automatic qualifier, not a WC team. But they can't be seeded ahead of Henry Co (#1) Hardin Co (#1 or #2) Jackson NS (#1 or #2) Craighmont (#2) Lawrence Co (#2, unless they lose to Tullahoma, then they would be WC and Mitchell would be ahead of them, but I don't see this happening) Melrose (#3). So the absolute highest Mitchell could get seeded in this quad (if lawrence co is in it) is 6th, and that is if Larwrence Co and Ridgeway both lose friday night.

Sorry for the confusion, I have been trying to figure out lots of scenarios and getting them all confused, and really more interested in 6A than 5A.

please explain, how if two teams are both automatic qualifiers like Melrose and Mitchell are both automatic qualifiers and neither is first or second place autos,melrose is 3rd in district and Mitchell is fourth, Ridgeway falls in the same boat, I think the seeding should end up with

these are projected finishes

1. Henry county 9-1

2. Jackson NS 7-3

3. Craigmont 6-4

4. Ridgeway 5-5

5. Melrose 5-5

6. Mitchell 7-3

7. Clarksville NW 6-4

8. Hardin County 7-3

Ridgeway and Melrose are both qualifiers with same record and Melrose lost to ridgeway, Mitchell comes in behind Melrose due to head to head, NW should be 8th but due to same district as Henry county they go to 7th and Hardin county after losing to norhtside will drop to 8th. There is a multitude of possibilities that everyone is unsure, this quad is loaded, I see 3-4 teams with the talent to win the state title, Ridgeway, Melrose, Mitchell, and Henry county all in the same quad,, no other quad has this, this quad has lots of quirks, If NS beats Hardin county then Henry County and NS are the only two teams that will finish 1 or 2 in the quad. Craigmont, Ridgeway, Melrose Mitchell NW and Hardin County will all be autamtic qualifiers but not in the top 2 positions, Ridgeway beat Melrose with the same record, Mitchell lost to Melrose with a better record. I think the loser of Hardin County Northside will drop to the 8 position. Lawrence county could come this way,and nw go east, Mitchell could be 8th but if they win tomorrow night then can they drop to 8th with an 8-2 record. where does win loss records come in, I was under the assumption that that mattered but in this quad that is not apparent. and that is my two and a half cents.

Overall records comes into play when:

A. Breaking ties for district standings if head to head doesn't break the tie

B. Selecting Wildcard teams.

C. Breaking ties between teams that finish in the same spot in district standings (ie. District 14 #2 District 15 #2 and District 12 #2)

Thats it

And you are right, one of the Clarksville teams could come your way, but I would think they would like to keep all those teams together, think $$$, and Lawrence Co isn't really close to anyone, so $$$ wouldn't be a factor there.

randymc......the TSSAA needs to put you on their payroll for as well as you get all of this playoff stuff. Keep it up....

Well, it's pretty mathematical, and I have a mathematical brain. They will probably turn my ideas all upside down come Saturday morning, but it's fun trying to figure it all out.