Richland at Loretto

richlandfb

Ask the Assisstant Giles Co. School Director :ph34r:

Would that be Debbie Braden? Isn't she the asst. to mr. Jackson? Is this the "fishy" part of why Taylor has been allowed to coach for so long?

I do agree that athletics can bring a school down because there is less school pride....no bragging rights....kids find other things to do. The school system there HAS to do it's job and allow this program to be built back up!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richland seems to have far worse issues than just Taylor. Doesn't the school principal have to bear the responsibility of the quality of coaching. The case in Giles Co. used to be students would try to opt out of GCHS and go to Richland. I can't help but think that trend has stopped and surely bound to reverse, especially as far as football is concerned. Sitting in the stands at a Giles game its always interesting to see how many Richland students are present. We even had several show up in their Richland homecoming attire. Just an observation, I'm always glad to hear the Raiders are doing well and wish them well in the future.

I heard Taylor is worried about his job. If he cared about anyone other than himself, he would go ahead and resign. Its sad that someone will have to tell him to leave. Taylor should be able to see that he can't get the job done. He should also know that parents are tired of having their kids cussed at and made to feel 2 inches tall. That is not why parents let their kids play football. It's time to clean Richland football up, starting at the top. The entire community is hungry to see this man step down or be fired. *fingers crossed*

• 3 weeks later...

YES, YES, YES. Someone finally made the man go!!!!! I'm so excited for the possibilites in store for Richland over the next couple of years. I just hope the administration looks as hard for a good coach as GC has over the years. I hope they don't just fill the position with a "good ol boy" but really really search for a good coach! It's time to do your job men and find a man who knows how to coach--regardless of his name or where he is from. Thanks in at least getting Taylor out of there! :roll:

• 1 month later...
Richland was a powerhouse in the late 80's early 90's but before that they were as bad as it gets even worse than they are now. Mr. Hobbs the 1st principle richland had went and recruited the best high school coach Bud Spickard was his name he turned the program around in 1982 going to the butter bowl, the Rogers came in for a couple of years took them to the Walking horse bowl in 85 and a win. He then left in came Chunn State runner up in 87. Went deep in playoffs every year until 91 he quit then school went south after that and is still going. notice I said school. No one on the school board relizes how much atletics impact school and school surroundings. Maybe they will figure it out in the near future. It was an honer to play at Richland a since of pride and joy you can only get if you were at that school during that time. I hope it can someday be a source of pride for a community. It cannot turn into EAst Dillion if you watch Friday night Lights.

OK. Your getting a little bit ahead of yourself on the timeline. Richland was a good football school through the 80's but by the decade of the 90's, they were no longer good. They never were a power house. To provide an accurate time line, follow below.

First coach was Jerry Bost. One year....

Second coach was Brud Spickard. He took them to the Butter Bowl where they lost to Franklin Road Academy. After that season he was run off for "womanizing"....... Another story on that topic.

Next came in Rogers for two years. He basically kept what Spickard had started. In 82' Richland beat Spring Hill in the Walking Horse Bowl. After the 83' season, Rodgers left and went to Huntland where he became principal....

Chunn comes in for the 84' season. They were undefeated for the first four or five games but were later forfited for recruiting violations. (Hobbs recruited Bill Wallace from Memphis) Ended season with a 2-8 record.

85' Won Butterbowl and finished with 8-3 record. Losses coming from Spring Hill, Forrest and Huntland.

86' Made playoffs in first year of expanded format but got blown out again by Spring Hill.

87' clinic bowl runner up but had a blow out loss again to a 3-7 Spring Hill team. Players (Mostly the other four seniors) threw the game because of #22's rant during practice that week and his saying "I" while he was ranting. Loss to Greenback 34-0 in championship game.

88' Went 10-3. Lost to Moore County and Friendship Christian in regular season. Beat undefeated Mt. Pleasant for second year in a row in the playoffs. Beat Waynesboro in playoffs. Got beat by Bishop Byrne.

89' Went 10-2. Beat by Collinwood first game of Season and second round of playoffs.

90' Went 7-4. Beat by Moore County, Forrest, Spring Hill, Waynesboro. Beat number one ranked Spring Hill in first round then beat by Mt. Pleasant.

91' Went 2-8. Beat Collinwood and Cornersville.

92' Went 3-8. Beat Collinwood and Cornersville and Huntland. Stomped first round of playoffs by Spring Hill.

93' Shirey's first year. Beat Collinwood, Cornersville, Huntland, Forrest then got blown out by Spring Hill first round.

94' Winless..........

That is your summery of Richland Football. During the 94' season, Shirey and Taylor swapped as offense and defense coaches. Taylor then becomes head coach.

There you have it boys and girls! :lol: