TSSAA Screws Clinton

DragonFire

There is much that may never be known about this situation because of student privacy issues, but even TSSAA admits this was a "technical" violation. Now, it's a done deal. TSSAA has ruled, and like it or not, it's time to move on and "survive and advance" in the playoffs. Go Dragons!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right that T$$AA screwed Clinton. You are more right about not having deep enough pockets, enough money power or political power with T$$AA. You need to be more like Knoxville Catholic. The player at Clinton violated the rules of his hardship ruling and did not live with his father according to the ruling byT$$AA. I guess that Cathoilc does not have to even go by the simplest T$$AA rules that you have to live with your parents, parent, of legal guardian. Daniel Hood did not live with his parents when he attended Catholic. He even lived by himself when he was a senior at Catholic and they won a state championship. Who paid for his transportation to Catholic. And who paid for his appartment and food when he was a senior. Maybe you people at Clinton should start recruiting convicted juveinle offenders and make their story so sad that the T$$AA allows the players to live by themselves and someone provides them an apartment, car, money for food and expenses, and pays their tuition if they go to a private school. Catholic got theirs this year, the multipler and Scott Meadows. Good luck Clinton.

You are right that T$$AA screwed Clinton. You are more right about not having deep enough pockets, enough money power or political power with T$$AA. You need to be more like Knoxville Catholic. The player at Clinton violated the rules of his hardship ruling and did not live with his father according to the ruling byT$$AA. I guess that Cathoilc does not have to even go by the simplest T$$AA rules that you have to live with your parents, parent, of legal guardian. Daniel Hood did not live with his parents when he attended Catholic. He even lived by himself when he was a senior at Catholic and they won a state championship. Who paid for his transportation to Catholic. And who paid for his appartment and food when he was a senior. Maybe you people at Clinton should start recruiting convicted juveinle offenders and make their story so sad that the T$$AA allows the players to live by themselves and someone provides them an apartment, car, money for food and expenses, and pays their tuition if they go to a private school. Catholic got theirs this year, the multipler and Scott Meadows. Good luck Clinton.

Great post, this stuff happens all over the state at many different high schools and must of the time nothing is said about it... players live with coaches all the time and nothing is ever mentioned.. and the reason for this is because sometimes situations call for different things to be done... sure the kid didn't stay with father all of the time, and TSSAA didn't even consider what was going on in the kids home life did they... I guess a kid is better being in a bad environment to satisfy a stupid hardship according to there stupid rules... give me a break, i feel like it is the responsibility for coaches, teachers, and administrators to look out for the best interest of there students, and student/athletes.. And sometimes ( in the Clinton situation) a coach was doing just that, trying to help a kid when he was able to do so... and what does TSSAA do, they make us vacate a win... haha what a joke if you ask me, and then they screw us in the play off bracket as well... its ok though, i think they really just motivated Clinton more, so look out 5A teams that stand in our way...

Whether you agree with the decision or not, in todays times I think that people are just feed up with the "we are just trying to help a kid out" stories. Why does it always seem that when you here a story like this, the kid happens to be a good athlete? How many other kids that are non-athletes are getting to stay with the Assistant Principal/assistant coach. The rules are the rules. You can blame the TSSAA, but they are not the ones who broke it. Heck Clinton, has two other kids that are not with there "legal parents" but from what I understand they have followed all the regulations that make them eligable, so move on.

With that said, Clinton has a good team and will be up to the task Friday night. Hey who knows, if the 1-9 team beats AC, Clinton will get to play a 2-9 team for the second round. I'm not a Clinton supporter, but I know some of the kids, so I would like to see them do well in the playoffs.

Goodluck Friday.

O and for the record, Ryan Sharp was not a great athlete at all, he was an ok football player and a ok basketball player, I believe we have won every game without him, and would have beaten Halls without him. Its not like clinton was making special arganments because of his superstar status.... get real if u think he was some stude athlete because he was far from that... You people act like Clinton moved him down here just to play ball or something... his dad is from clinton, he grew up here, elementry, middle school, freshman year of high school, O he just didnt stay at his house sometimes big deal.. You people need to look at the bigger picture really quick..

There is a familiar ring to a lot of what you hear. Just know that this young man did not get "special benefits" because of some imagined superstar status. He was not an athlete that was a game changer in any sport he participated in--he tends to follow his own path which sometimes runs afoul of the standards for everyone else but him. Remember that familiar ring?? Someone at TSSAA just might want to send those two special investigators out to the friend's parents that he is currently living with in Jefferson County. Ring, Ring, Ring!!

Let me say, in my post, I wasn't trying to say he was some special athlete, but he was an athlete in general. As I stated, in today's times when these situations happen, it's generally some athlete. When was the last time some schoold got in trouble for a scholar student particpating in the scholar bowl but some how was not legally enrolled or something.

Heck, I don't know who the kid is and that he even played basketball. I do know some of the others kids on the team and will admit, they didn't need him to be successful.

Take the first game out of the equation . . . There are two undefeated teams in 5A in the regular season in the entire state. There are four quadrants. One of the two undefeated teams in the state (The #2 ranked team in the state) does not deserve a #1 seed? All I was saying was that this was TSSAA finding a way to add to the punishment already given. The whole thing seems like double jeopardy which is not fair to our team, our school, or our city.

You all are right about us being down for a while, but that is over. That is where a bad hire as HC will get you, but we have picked up the pieces. We are not complaining about vacating the win. Our kids do not care. They know we were doing what had to be done for a kid in a difficult situation. I was just addressing the fact that TSSAA punished us, it's over. Then they punish us again by taking away something earned. Columbia could have been moved and Henry County could have been moved. These teams have to travel 2-3 hours for games anyway. It is a moot point now anyway. Just does not seem fair to be one of only two undefeated teams and still not have a #1 seed.

Oh cry me a river Clinton fans...The bracket seedings look fine to me..You will have to beat Columbia and TN High anyway so just play the games let the better team win...For those of you who post who believe home field makes much difference in high school..please..you probably never played or if you did you sat the bench. The decisions have been made, let's just play the games and enjoy it all. Hey you could be a Karns fan and have very little to EVER cheer for.

Oh cry me a river Clinton fans...The bracket seedings look fine to me..You will have to beat Columbia and TN High anyway so just play the games let the better team win...For those of you who post who believe home field makes much difference in high school..please..you probably never played or if you did you sat the bench. The decisions have been made, let's just play the games and enjoy it all. Hey you could be a Karns fan and have very little to EVER cheer for.

The brackets look fine to you huh... ok so tell me it should be fine that a number six seed in the play-offs should have a record of 1-9... thats ok to u... and that a number 7 and 8 seeds have better records... and that the number 7 seed Clinton is playing in the first round beat the number 6 seed ac is playing 48-0 at white county... you need to take another look before you start telling Clinton fans to cry you a river... I think i speak for more than just Clinton fans when i say that is a joke.... but the number 2 seed is not the problem, making us vacate a win and the seeding of white county is...