TSSAA Screws Clinton

DragonFire

Clinton is lucky that it was caught in the first game in Gallatin a few years ago they used an illegal player even thought they was told it was all clear divorce situation and when they got turned in they were told it wasnt ok they had to forfiet all 9 of their wins and did not make the playoffs So be glad it was caught when it was and that your whole season wasnt destroyed by your situation

Good point.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton is lucky that it was caught in the first game in Gallatin a few years ago they used an illegal player even thought they was told it was all clear divorce situation and when they got turned in they were told it wasnt ok they had to forfiet all 9 of their wins and did not make the playoffs So be glad it was caught when it was and that your whole season wasnt destroyed by your situation

Youch, I had forgotten about this one.

Secman, if helping a kid who has some severe problems at home and trying to better his life is a crime then you are a freaking idiot. They did not have with the consequences and will be fine. If they knew he was not allowed to be playing he wouldn't have been on the field. We have forgotten about it and the team has moved on a long time ago. OH and by the way we have been playing, to an undefeated season! Come get some!

Okay randymc and others, good conversation going here. My turn to weigh in. I feel like the new tiebreaking system is fair in getting all playoff teams and the TSSAA does a good job of forming the quadrants. However, they have got to change the rules on how they seed teams in each quadrant! You guys agree? All district champions and runner-ups should get seeded at the top in order of record in each quadrant. Then, after that, all other automatic bids (those outside the top two in their district) and wild cards should be seeded based on record. For instance, in the controversial Quad 2 in 5A, this is what it should be this year:

#1 Columbia (9-1) vs. #8 White County (1-9)

#4 Glencliff (5-5) vs. #5 Shelbyville (5-5)

#3 Anderson County (7-3) vs. #6 Hillsboro (3-7)

#2 Clinton (9-0) vs. #7 Cleveland (3-7)

There is no way White County should get seeded higher than #8...sorry, they are a bad football team and they don't deserve better than that just because they finished #4 in a district of only five teams. However, I'm perfectly fine with them getting a bid to the playoffs based on the system.

And, Hillsboro and Cleveland by the same token should not be seeded above a 5-5 Shelbyville team.

I was under the impression that once the quadrants were set, all teams would be seeded based on overall record...I guess not.

Again, this is the one thing in my opinion that needs to be addressed quickly in this system. Everything else is fine by me. Once that gets taken care of, I think it should all work out fairly well. What are everyone's opinions on this?

Secman, if helping a kid who has some severe problems at home and trying to better his life is a crime then you are a freaking idiot. They did not have with the consequences and will be fine. If they knew he was not allowed to be playing he wouldn't have been on the field. We have forgotten about it and the team has moved on a long time ago. OH and by the way we have been playing, to an undefeated season! Come get some!

I think the point is that why didn't anyone know he shouldn't have been playing??? The Athletic Director and the head coach are well aware of rules and regulations. Even the school's guidance counselor is cognizant of requirements. So it appears your own school's system not only failed this young man, but hurt the entire team in the process.

I completely agree they should have known! I don't blame the Football coach as much as the basketball coach and AD. The AD should have known and stopped it in the first place. I hate the guy in the first place. The only reason this became an issue is because of other stupid parents who can't deal with the fact their kid is not a starter. I am fine with the situation but just wish the other kids who have worked soooooo hard have to be penalized. Especially with a #2 seed and playing some one with a better record than half the quad. Not a big deal as these kids will come focused and ready!

Youch, I had forgotten about this one.

Bump...I remember a few years back this happened to AC.....The whole season, I believe, was VACATED!!!

Give me a break...VACATED?????? FORFEIT?????? = L O S S !!!!!!! :blink:

I guess T$$AA is just trying to be POLITICALLY CORRECT. :flower:

I would have more sympathy for Clinton if a similar situation didn't happen at Tennesssee High about a decade ago, only with much harsher consequences.

I was about to say that Vike. Out for two years from the playoffs and had to vacate every win/ forfeit those wins?

Clinton should be happy they didn't do worse, because they could have thrown them out of the playoffs. Personally, I'm glad they didn't because I want to see Clinton play one of our 5A teams from the Big 8.

I would have more sympathy for Clinton if a similar situation didn't happen at Tennesssee High about a decade ago, only with much harsher consequences.

I was about to say that Vike. Out for two years from the playoffs and had to vacate every win/ forfeit those wins?

Clinton should be happy they didn't do worse, because they could have thrown them out of the playoffs. Personally, I'm glad they didn't because I want to see Clinton play one of our 5A teams from the Big 8.

No, I believe he was only on the sidelines in the playoff loss to Greeneville in 1998. They didn't punish the '98 squad at all. Prior to the start of the 1999 season, they said that TN High would be ineligible to make the playoffs in 1999. I think the Vikings went 5-5 in 1999 and even though they defeated East on the field, they had to give up that win so East would be eligible for the playoffs. The Vikings were eligible in 2000.

No, I believe he was only on the sidelines in the playoff loss to Greeneville in 1998. They didn't punish the '98 squad at all. Prior to the start of the 1999 season, they said that TN High would be ineligible to make the playoffs in 1999. I think the Vikings went 5-5 in 1999 and even though they defeated East on the field, they had to give up that win so East would be eligible for the playoffs. The Vikings were eligible in 2000.

I thought it all happened in '99 early, they had to give up the game to East and they were not eligible for the playoffs. You all were actually second in the conference at 5-5 beating Boone, South, Central that year, with us having three wins but you being ahead in the head to head. Thanks for the clear up, I'm glad they didn't take away too much from those kids. I heard that even tho it all happened, it was the student who didn't tell the truth and the coaches, fans, and players who had the pieces to pick up.

I believe no harsh penalty happened with this because Clinton was very forthcoming, said they did it, went through all the procedures, and didn't try to hide anything. But again....it does come down to the coaching staff to make sure all their kids are eligible...so if you want to blame someone for this happening, blame them in that regard. Again, I don't know the whole story so I may very well be wrong.