CHAMPDDS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just college soccer.

I guess this is becoming a trend...

http://deadspin.com/5400583/girls-soccer-is-now-the-ultimate-combat-sport

But that is my WHOLE point! These younger ladies see the older ladies acting this way, and they think it is acceptable! This is the EXACT reason why an example must be made.

You're going to get us another 700 word essay on the LOTG. :thumb:

Try this rule Mr. Socref1:

An important tool for the referee is Law 18, Common Sense. :thumb:

It's not just college soccer.

I guess this is becoming a trend...

http://deadspin.com/5400583/girls-soccer-is-now-the-ultimate-combat-sport

But that is my WHOLE point! These younger ladies see the older ladies acting this way, and they think it is acceptable! This is the EXACT reason why an example must be made.

You're going to get us another 700 word essay on the LOTG. :thumb:

Try this rule Mr. Socref1:

An important tool for the referee is Law 18, Common Sense. :thumb:

That's Dr. Socref1. :thumb:

Seriously, I do think that the physicality of soccer, especially girls soccer has been promoted and condoned by some coaches, as well as parents. And then ignored by some refs because it didn't necessarily interrupt play. This has given way to the slippery slope where physical play has been tolerated, and to a degree substituted for skilled play. There is a difference between physical play within the LOTG and general intimidation and purposefully inflicting pain. Bottom line rests with us, as parents, and more responsibility by the coaches, and enforcement by the refs.

Seriously, I do think that the physicality of soccer, especially girls soccer has been promoted and condoned by some coaches, as well as parents. And then ignored by some refs because it didn't necessarily interupt play. This has given way to the slippery slope where physical play has be tolerated, and to a degress substituted for skilled play. There is a difference between physical play within the LOTG and general intimidation and purposefully inflicting pain. Bottom line rests with us, as parents, and more responsibility by the coaches, and enforcement by the refs.

I do get your point, but slide tackles are one thing. Hair pulling to the ground, and punches are another. I think we can both agree that the second has no place in the game. The game has gotten more physical.

I also watched for slide tackles in the state tournament (just to see how many there actually were in those games). I saw very few (under 10 in three games). I was surprised. I thought there would be more of them in the games. The injuries I saw came more from behind the back "chops" to the ankles. I also agree with what you said that to some degree, physical play and/or slide tackles are substituted for skilled play, or more particular, poor defensive positioning, and getting beat by a player. Still don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think it needs to be watched.

I'm with Bean, again.

I'll lean on my Shakespearean name to pass along this thought: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves".

I think Bean has hit the nail on the head. We parents and coaches scream at the other parents, we scream at the ref, we scream at the other team, we scream at the other parents and coaches. How many times have we heard and seen a hperventilating, hypertensive parent screaming, "Push / hit her back, Suzy!" "Don't let her push you around!"

As for the slide tackles, maybe the scarcity of them reflects the generally high level of play at the State tournament? Maybe Bean's pleas have worked; and players, coaches, and ref's are not being so cavalier about the tactic? If so, Bean, thank you.

I think Bean has hit the nail on the head. We parents and coaches scream at the other parents, we scream at the ref, we scream at the other team, we scream at the other parents and coaches. How many times have we heard and seen a hperventilating, hypertensive parent screaming, "Push / hit her back, Suzy!" "Don't let her push you around!"

Boy, I am with you on this one. There is a reason I enjoy being on the opposite side of the field than the bleachers. In the tournament finals, I had to go down to the far side of the bleachers by myself. Even at my son's u-10 indoor, I was amazed at how intense the PARENTS get! Good grief, just let the kids have fun!

and if you want to go for scoring title, the team that played before my son's team won 25-1. I about got sick. But that is a WHOLE other thread.

i can told you all some stories about parents

but what has worked for us at tullahoma is that the police chiefs son play for us and is the manager on the girls team

this past spring and fall that chief blackwell has been at games we have had zero problems

before that we had a tournament during the spring of 07, we had 2 games after the 1st game the school administer and the coach left

it took me almost the entire 1st half to remove this parent from the complex and this guy walked around the field to the opposing teams bench and cussed out the coach 5 MINUTES INTO THE GAME