Is the Hampton & Unaka series over after this year

starman

I just heard that Hampton and Unaka will not play each other after this season due to Unaka dropping them in football next season. I really hate to see this and it is sad that a Coach would sacrifice the other sports programs just to pick up a few games on the football schedule that he can win. The whole irony of high school sports is to play teams that are close by and establish a rivalry. Unaka and Hampton has engaged in sports for the past 50 years and to stop playing one another would be a disaster. The question is not to drop the teams you are playing but why not be honest and ask ourselves why is the program where it is at. It starts with your feeder program. The coaching situation has not been stable for the past several years. Their is lack of interest in the program and don't kid yourself, it's not just the losing part. Some of it has to do with people you surround the program with. My advice is not to sacrifice the sports you are successful in just to win a few football games. This is unfair to the kids that play the other sports. It is an honor to play Hampton, Happy Valley, and other schools close by. What does this do for boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball. Will we have to start traveling 150 miles just to find teams we can play. I hate losing too but to drop the teams that we have played for many years dating back to our grandpsrents would be a severe blow to our entire athletic program.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cutnoslack

I hope that the other schools realize that is is about the football program only. Some of the old timers are tired of losing so they think that the answer is finding teams you can beat regardless of how far you have to drive. Unaka has more students than Cloudland so what is the deal. The fans still support the program. The problem is not the schedule "Think about it". This will meet major opposition from Ranger supporters in the other sports.

I"m sick and tired of hearing "we're doing it for the kids". That's a bunch of bologna and the coaches know it. Sure they want to win but it looks like that all the athletes (I'm not saying that there aren't any athletes playing football) are playing baseball and basketball. The Unaka football program has been on a downhill spiral for the last 3-4 years. Their getting no players from the elementary schools so how do they expect to have a winning team in high school. You can't just decide one day you're a football player and bam you've got a winning team. One of the other people who posted on this and I can't remember who it was said that you've got the old timers still in there coaching. I think you've got the old timers trying to re-live their glory days ant the expense of the kids.I also heard there's a lot of ticked off parents in basketball and baseball. Sacrificing one sport for another, shame on you coaches and shame on the school board for letting you get by with it. And while we're on the subject, how did you guys manage to spend so much money on the football field and the baseball field still looks like a cow pasture. I sure hope that somebody gets their tails in gear and finishes the field while they still can. :D

This is truly a sad situation when a handful of people can decide to do something on their own and have it impact every other sport. The school board will not intervene on any extracurricular activities, they leave it up to the Principal and Athletic Director. Obviously they agree also with this or we wouldn't be on here talking about it. I thought that something might be done about this, but I guess not. It is truly a sad day for sports in Carter Co. Watch out Cloudland, you are next.

Guest uhscreekside

unakas football team has had 5 different head coaches in the past 7 years, and untold assistant coaches. who are the old timers?????????? the only one to stick by these boys the whole time, is the new head coach. i don't think he's old enough to be considered an oldtimer.

The fact that none of the sports programs can work together seems to have created bad blood among many people at the school. What is the problem? A small community should have harmony among their sports programs. Going to the games should be fun among fans. I agree, the current head coach has given his all to the Unaka sports programs. But how far can one spread themself? The boys baseball team lost out on the opportunity to play fall baseball and the baseball field that was suppose to be #1 priority looks like it might never be finished. If money was allocated by the school board to solely build the baseball field it should have been completed along with the football field. But because the community is so divided among athletics, we might never see it finished. As for the coaching situation I just hope that someone will take the job and keep it for a long time. The kids that participate in football deserve that. But revising your schedule to try and play teams you can compete with will be a disaster to the basketball and baseball programs and maybe even softball. I think that you made progress with the new Jr. High football coach. He is really excited about the program and that's what's needed. I hope the Ranger football program wins 10 games every year but I hope it is not at the expense of the other athletic teams. I for one look foward to the games involving all the Carter County teams. My advice to the administration is that when you tell someone you are going to do something, at least make an all out effort to see that the task gets completed. I also hope in the years to come that all Rangers fans would support all the sports programs.

[Edited by coachtdog on 9-24-02 3:10P]

Hey Mae get a dose of reality? Coach Ensor and Coach Hazelwood have talked. No one wants to see this happen.

If for anything else it's about the money that both

programs will lose. You can't blame the powers that be though, It will cost Hampton big money to travel to K town

to find someone else to play, and don't think this want

haunt the kids on the creek the rest of their lives. It's a

pride thing even in defeat.

Why not ask the players from both Hampton and Unaka if they want to play each other. The answer would be yes from both teams. This has nothing to do with either school not wanting to play each other. It about a football program that is wanting to find someone to play that they can win against. I hope that people realize that this has nothing to do with basketball and baseball. The kids at Unaka in these sports play probably the toughest Class A schedule across the state.