Not familiar with 1A - Do these brackets seem more fair?

davidlimbaugh

I am not familiar with 1A except for my friends at MTCS, Eagleville and Cascade.

Working on trying to make the post-season more fair (who you play, how you do, etc...)

Do these brackets seem more fair? (5 teams out, 5 different teams in)

Pod 1

1)Knox Grace 1427 (9-1)

2)Lookout Vall 1101 (7-3)

3)Harriman 1038 (6-4)

4)Sunbright 801 (5-5)

5)Whitwell 779 (4-6)

6)Greenback 773 (3-7)

6) Greenback (D3) (3-7)

4) Sunbright (D4) (5-5)

BYE - 1) Knox Grace (D3) (9-1)

5) Whitwell (D6) (4-6)

3) Harriman (D3) (6-4) - #6 Greeback in same district

BYE - 2) Lookout Valley (D6) (7-3)

Pod 2

1)South Pitts'g 1465 (8-2)

2)Gordonsville 1036 (6-4)

3)Monterey 929 (5-5)

4)Middle TN Chr 809 (4-6)

5)Moore County 789 (4-6)

6)Columbia Acad 784 (4-6)

6) Columbia Acad (D11) (4-6)

4) MTCS (D9) (4-6) - #5 Moore Co in same district

BYE - 1) South Pitts (D6) (8-2)

5) Moore Co (D9) (4-6)

3) Monterey (D7) (5-5)

BYE - 2) Gordonsville (D7) (6-4)

Pod 3

1)Wayne County 1472 (10-0)

2)Jo Byrns 1464 (10-0)

3)Collinwood 1083 (6-4)

4)Perry County 1014 (6-4)

5)Cornersville 906 (5-5)

6)Halls 820 (4-6)

5) Cornersville (D11) (5-5)

4) Perry Co (D11) (6-4) - No Choice - 4 of 6 from D11

BYE - 1) Wayne Co (D11) (10-0)

6) Halls (D14) (4-6)

3) Collinwood (D11) (5-5)

BYE - 2) Jo Byrns (D10) (10-0)

Pod 4

1)Union City 1316 (8-2)

2)Huntingdon 1308 (7-3)

3)West Carroll 985 (6-4)

4)Gleason 928 (6-4)

5)Lake County 904 (6-4)

6)South Fulton 873 (5-5)

5) Lake Co (D14) (6-4)

4) Gleason (D13) (6-4)

BYE - 1) Union City (D14) (8-2)

6) South Fulton (D14) (5-5)

3) West Carroll (D13) (6-4)

BYE - 2) Huntingdon (D13) (7-3)

Teams that made it this way but didn't really make it this year

Whitwell (4-6)

Greenback (3-7)

Moore Co (4-6)

Columbia Academy (4-6)

Halls (4-6)

Team that really made it but don't make it my way

Cloudland (3-7)

Coalfield (3-7)

Copper Basin (6-4)

Eagleville (3-7)

McEwen (3-7)

1 Wayne County 1A 1472 10 0 10 0

2 South Pittsburg 1A 1465 8 2 8 2

3 Jo Byrns 1A 1464 10 0 10 0

4 Knoxville Grace 1A 1427 9 1 9 1

5 Union City 1A 1316 8 2 8 2

6 Huntingdon 1A 1308 7 3 7 3

7 Lookout Valley 1A 1101 7 3 7 3

8 Collinwood 1A 1083 6 4 6 4

9 Harriman 1A 1038 6 4 6 4

10 Gordonsville 1A 1036 6 4 6 4

11 Perry County 1A 1014 6 4 6 4

12 West Carroll 1A 985 6 4 6 4

13 Monterey 1A 929 5 5 5 5

14 Gleason 1A 928 6 4 6 4

15 Cornersville 1A 906 5 5 5 5

16 Lake County 1A 904 6 4 6 4

17 South Fulton 1A 873 5 5 5 5

18 Halls 1A 820 4 6 4 6

19 Middle TN Chr. 1A 809 4 6 4 6

20 Sunbright 1A 801 5 5 5 5

21 Moore County 1A 789 4 6 4 6

22 Columbia Academy 1A 784 4 6 4 6

23 Whitwell 1A 779 4 6 4 6

24 Greenback 1A 773 3 7 3 7

Clay County 1A 772 4 6 4 6

Huntland 1A 764 4 6 4 6

Copper Basin 1A 743 5 4 6 4

Coalfield 1A 719 3 7 3 7

Eagleville 1A 713 3 7 3 7

McEwen 1A 695 3 7 3 7

Clarksville Academy 1A 671 3 7 2 7

Midway 1A 646 2 8 2 8

Cloudland 1A 616 3 7 3 7

Nashville Christian 1A 575 2 8 2 8

Red Boiling Springs 1A 558 2 8 2 8

Hancock County 1A 542 2 8 2 8

Greenfield 1A 464 1 9 1 9

Pickett County 1A 436 1 9 1 9

Hollow Rock-Bruceton 1A 371 0 10 0 10

Oakdale 1A 280 0 10 0 10

MAHS 1A 275 1 6 1 6

David: looks to me like you reward overall season over district schedule. And, to Moto's point, that would in turn reward a weak schedule. Even just looking at district results is difficult because some 1A teams are in districts with fairly stout 2A teams and some are not. In my view there will always be room for arguing in high school sports because of the disparity in the schedules.

On the surface many say a team with a losing overall record shouldn't be in the playoffs. That statement is correct if all schedules are more or less equal. The objective should be to ensure that weak teams are not in the playoffs and under the current system a team could theoretically have a sub .500 record and not be a weak team.

If there are 40 1A teams in the state and the "powers that be" (read T$$AA) have determined that 24 of them will be deemed to be playoff teams then in any given year there will probably be 18-20 teams in the playoffs that are beyond argument while there are 4-6 that are questionable and 2-4 that are on the outside looking in that have an argument as to why they should be in.

Looking at your brackets (and certainly not trying to cast stones) you have Monterey in and Eagleville out. However, a 48-0 win would lead most to conclude that Eagleville was a better team this year than Monterey.

Just my two cents...

David: looks to me like you reward overall season over district schedule. And, to Moto's point, that would in turn reward a weak schedule. Even just looking at district results is difficult because some 1A teams are in districts with fairly stout 2A teams and some are not. In my view there will always be room for arguing in high school sports because of the disparity in the schedules.

On the surface many say a team with a losing overall record shouldn't be in the playoffs. That statement is correct if all schedules are more or less equal. The objective should be to ensure that weak teams are not in the playoffs and under the current system a team could theoretically have a sub .500 record and not be a weak team.

If there are 40 1A teams in the state and the "powers that be" (read T$$AA) have determined that 24 of them will be deemed to be playoff teams then in any given year there will probably be 18-20 teams in the playoffs that are beyond argument while there are 4-6 that are questionable and 2-4 that are on the outside looking in that have an argument as to why they should be in.

Looking at your brackets (and certainly not trying to cast stones) you have Monterey in and Eagleville out. However, a 48-0 win would lead most to conclude that Eagleville was a better team this year than Monterey.

Just my two cents...

Actually doing the opposite.

Formula is simple

IF you WIN you get 100 + opponents' wins + (+ 20 for each class higher than you or - 20 for each class lower than you)

WIN OR LOSE you get 5 times the number of wins of your opponents

then WIN OR LOSE, if your opponent is your class or higher you get 2 times the number of wins of your opponent.

So the better teams you play and the higher class you play the better off you are....

Since some people are venting, here's my 2 cents... Most teams that were close were left out for a reason. Take Whitwell for example. They were 4-2 versus 1A teams this year and 0-4 versus 2A and 3A schools. Unfortunately they did not win a district game all season and two of the teams they beat are still alive in the playoffs (Copper Basin and Sunbright). They also lost a critical game to CCS which is a first year program. Even though Whitwell makes it on your formula, they did not deserve to be in the playoffs. If they did then every team from 1A-6 would have been the playoffs. Where is the justice in that?

Since some people are venting, here's my 2 cents... Most teams that were close were left out for a reason. Take Whitwell for example. They were 4-2 versus 1A teams this year and 0-4 versus 2A and 3A schools. Unfortunately they did not win a district game all season and two of the teams they beat are still alive in the playoffs (Copper Basin and Sunbright). They also lost a critical game to CCS which is a first year program. Even though Whitwell makes it on your formula, they did not deserve to be in the playoffs. If they did then every team from 1A-6 would have been the playoffs. Where is the justice in that?

Aren't they trying to qualify for the 1A post-season? a 4-2 record against 1A competition sounds pretty good. I can't see me find Copper Basin's 6th win? I have them at 5-4? And if every team in 1A-6 played a tough non-district schedule compared to another district that did not how is it not fair? Who do you have in instead of Whitwell from my list of 32? Copper Basin probably would be higher if I could find their sixth win?

Aren't they trying to qualify for the 1A post-season? a 4-2 record against 1A competition sounds pretty good. I can't see me find Copper Basin's 6th win? I have them at 5-4? And if every team in 1A-6 played a tough non-district schedule compared to another district that did not how is it not fair? Who do you have in instead of Whitwell from my list of 32? Copper Basin probably would be higher if I could find their sixth win?

I believe that Copper Basin's 6th win was a forfeit from the closing of David Brainerd. As far as other schools, I'm not sure. I guess it would be Moore county or Whitwell. No matter how you look at it, this new system that the TSSAA is running is too confusing. I would love to see a new system in place but I do not hink it will happen until the 2011 season.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the brackets is that the teams from our region are playing each other already and putting each other out. Cornersville & Perry County played each other back to back weeks. They beat each other once and now 1 is out. This week Wayne County plays Collinwood again and that will be two games in a row WC played Collinwood but Collinwood did have to play McEwen last week.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the brackets is that the teams from our region are playing each other already and putting each other out. Cornersville & Perry County played each other back to back weeks. They beat each other once and now 1 is out. This week Wayne County plays Collinwood again and that will be two games in a row WC played Collinwood but Collinwood did have to play McEwen last week.

That complaint is common across the state, in every classification. One 'Pod' had 5 teams from one district so two of them met in week 1. Look at our region. Riverdale goes to Blackman this week and if Oakland beats Cookeville tomorrow night the winner gets Oakland. Be neat to have the 'NCAA' rule that you can't see your district opponent until at least the third round. But travel costs is what drives the familiarity. (And hope for larger gates)

I believe that Copper Basin's 6th win was a forfeit from the closing of David Brainerd. As far as other schools, I'm not sure. I guess it would be Moore county or Whitwell. No matter how you look at it, this new system that the TSSAA is running is too confusing. I would love to see a new system in place but I do not hink it will happen until the 2011 season.

Thanks for the heads up on the forfeits! I found them on tssaa's region standings page.

When I give Copper Basin credit for a win against 1A Brainderd with a (0-0) record a (5-4) Copper Basin that finished 27th out of 24 now is 18th and 18 on down slides down a spot, sliding a (3-7) Greenback team out of the post-season. This also changes the seedings and pairings for Pod 1. Now I get

Pod 1

5) Sunbright (D4) (5-5)

4) Copper Basin (D5) (6-4)

6) Whitwell (D6) (4-6)

3) Harriman (D3) (6-4)

Seems fair to me - how about you?

Thanks for the heads up on the forfeits! I found them on tssaa's region standings page.

When I give Copper Basin credit for a win against 1A Brainderd with a (0-0) record a (5-4) Copper Basin that finished 27th out of 24 now is 18th and 18 on down slides down a spot, sliding a (3-7) Greenback team out of the post-season. This also changes the seedings and pairings for Pod 1. Now I get

Pod 1

5) Sunbright (D4) (5-5)

4) Copper Basin (D5) (6-4)

6) Whitwell (D6) (4-6)

3) Harriman (D3) (6-4)

Seems fair to me - how about you?

That would have been nice. I think you are on to something!