Knox Webb vs ECS...The Semifinals

utvolzfan

i dunno, its sounds like ecs will be a really tuff game for webb. a friend of mine who was in memphis last night on his way to the ut v ole miss game went to see ecs play fra. earlier this season webb kinda struggled early with fra but won by 3 tds. anyway, he said ecs completely owned fra. he said fra prolly had less than 100 yards total offense and they couldn't begin to slow down the ecs offense. based on what he saw last night he said webb will have to play their best game of the year to even have a chance. webb will show up and play tuff but in the end it'll be tuff for them to hang in the game. so as much as I hate to say, its prolly gonna be ecs by 10-14 in the end.

Congrats to Webb and USJ. I've not seen Webb this year but having heard about the DA/Webb game and DA dominating the lines, then having seen SBEC play DA to OT but get blown literally across the river into Arkansas by ECS early in the season (I can't adequately describe how ugly the 2nd half of that game was in ECS's favor), it was hard to imagine Webb beating ECS.

I have to say, I wonder if the wet field at DA as described by Webb and DA fans at that game masked Webb's speed and gave DA a real advantage? No way to really know for sure. I know DA has great lines and that's indisputable. Apparently no one would dispute that Webb has speed to burn especially in DII-A, either. Could the weather and field conditions have affected Webb THAT much at DA?

Ahhh, the mysteries of football. Isn't that sort of why we love it? You can never be 100% sure what's going to happen? OK, maybe that's what makes it fun when YOUR team isn't the one taking it on the chin. 4 fantastic DII-A football teams playing two totally different types of games and evidently both were incredibly entertaining. I have to admit that I wasn't rooting for any particular outcome but was hoping for contrasting styles in the championship game w/o a regular season matchup. USJ loves to throw it and Webb uses speed and options it and they haven't played this year. I think that qualifies. DA and ECS would have been great but truly a study in ground games and two big lines pounding it.

Can't believe the season is almost over.

wow, all i can say is im proud of how the spartans played last night. just talked to a coupla friends who made the trip all the way across state and they sed it was pretty much complete domination on both sides of the ball. webb's team speed was somethin ecs just couldn't handle. they sed ecs was the biggest team they had faced all year especially their o-line but with all that size and 2 mr football finalist they couldn't hang with the spartans. they sed neither one of the mr football finalist were a factor and the alabama commit took himself out of the game after he got tackled by one of webbs safeties. they also sed that the ecs qb was the real deal and he is a junior. he was very quick and ran the ball well on some qb keepers up the middle and to the edge.

they sed webbs offense gained more than 400 total yards and showed speed and depth at rb. they ran the ball with maybe 6 different backs and they all could fly. they sed their qb threw the ball good and webb's o-line won the battle in the trenches. on defense they sed they held ecs to only 7 points until the 4th qtr when it was 35-7 and ecs scored after the game was pretty much over. webb's d-line consistently won battles against the much bigger & stronger ecs o-line. they sed that webb's lbs and dbs were all over the field last night. the lbs were too quick for the ecs lineman to block and the cbs did a good job of containing and pass coverage. they sed the two safeties stepped up big. both of them made plays all over the field and were lights out in pass coverage. one of them had two picks and the other one made a bunch of tackles.

bottom line was that speed & execution beat size and strength last night. trojan fan ur prolly right the field at da when webb played was horrible and prolly did play a huge factor in limiting webbs team speed advantage.

Well said Trojan fan. I was just as shocked as I could be based upon the exact things you mentioned in your post. I was at the game last night and Webb dominated in every way. 35 - 7 at one point. I would not have believe this possible. On one on the ECS side saw that coming. Oh well, this is why they don't play the game on paper! Congrats to Webb and to USJ. No way would I try to predict that one. Good luck to both schools.