Kingsport Times Coverage or Lack Of--South vs Boone

Rebeltothecore

Is anyone surprised, other than me, that the Kingsport Times News did not have a South vs Boone Write-Up on the front page of the sports section today, rather than the back page?????

It shouldn't surprise me, but it does dissapoint me. They sure don't mind asking me to buy a subscription every time I go in the Col.Hts Food City.

Is anyone surprised, other than me, that the Kingsport Times News did not have a South vs Boone Write-Up on the front page of the sports section today, rather than the back page?????

It shouldn't surprise me, but it does dissapoint me. They sure don't mind asking me to buy a subscription every time I go in the Col.Hts Food City.

No surprise from me Core. KTN has been under fire for some time now not covering the hometown Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Indians the way they used to. I believe they are more about marketing and try to keep sales up in SW Virginia where most small towns do not have newspaper coverage. If they would expand coverage for the high schools in Kingsport (D-B, South and North) I believe it would be looked upon more favorably by our sports community. Two local teams playing this far into the playoffs is unusual and worthy of "front page news" IMHO. REBEL NATION :thumb:

It's not a marketing strategy, it's the sports editor. When Pat Kinney took over for Ron Bliss a few years ago, one of the first things he did was cut WAAAAY back on the amount of space and attention devoted to high school sports. I don't know why that is.

Remember when they used to do the long, detailed pregame previews of about 4 or 5 big games each week and then a paragraph or two on just about every other game involving a NE TN or SW VA team? Remember when the biggest game got a feature story on the front page of the sports section? Now we're lucky if we get a few quick paragraphs on one game or two games, followed by a couple of sentences on maybe 3-4 others, respectively, and it's all buried somewhere in the middle.

If I wanted to read AP stories on national sports news, I'd buy USA Today. The KTN sports section is an embarrassment. I miss Bliss :thumb:

Well...if you don't like what they have there are two things you can do. 1. You can cancel your subscription. 2. You can write a letter to the editor telling them why you and cancelling. Answering with your wallet is a great way to make changes. I used to be a subscriber but too much has changed. JC Press isn't too much better...sometimes we get a Boone story and sometimes we don't. JC caters to Elizabethton and Science Hill. Gray doesn't have its own little paper, so Sullivan South is stuck in the same boat we are in it seems.

It's a shame that the Kingsport Times News doesn't cover local High School Sports like it should. I cancelled my subscription over a year ago for that reason. I won't read the newspaper if somebody brings one into work.

I'll throw out another theory. I think this new classification has caused a lot of people to lose interest in the high school playoffs. Think about it. DB, with a losing record beats South (who is supposedly the best team in NE TN) in a rout. WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF FOOTBALL IN NORTHEAST TN? Give me DB vs. Oak Ridge anytime.

Bill Lane was there, and on the field after the game. So, we'll see. Bill is great. It's dumb ole Pat, who always manages to turn every story into a story about himself or his family that's the problem. Pat, we don't care. You don't hav it in you to be a Ron Bliss. Give us lots and lots of High School Sports or just go away.

I'll throw out another theory. I think this new classification has caused a lot of people to lose interest in the high school playoffs. Think about it. DB, with a losing record beats South (who is supposedly the best team in NE TN) in a rout. WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF FOOTBALL IN NORTHEAST TN? Give me DB vs. Oak Ridge anytime.

Please. Plenty of interest. Full House tonight. Great game and atmosphere.

The world quit revolving around DB when they lost in the first round. Sorry.

South IS the best team in NET (Not to mention beating 3 teams west of Morristown) and they are in the semi-finals of the state playoff.

Hard to swallow, I know.

ps And that rout? DB got up 21-0 in 1st quarter due to turnovers and mistakes. South took the rest of the game 28-21. Not a rout in my book.

It's a shame that the Kingsport Times News doesn't cover local High School Sports like it should. I cancelled my subscription over a year ago for that reason. I won't read the newspaper if somebody brings one into work.

There are 3 local teams (South, Greenville, and Elizabethton) in the semifinals. I think NET football is in fine shape. You can't base much on this year's D-B - South game. D-B just came out with the intensity and that was the difference in that game. I know a lot of D-B people that didn't even come to the game because they thought they were going to get their socks knocked off. That's what you might have expected on paper but as they say, that's why you strap on the helmets play the game. Boone beat all three city schools, South lost to two of them but they beat Boone twice this year. South is finally getting their house back in order and may just go all the way.

I'd suggest dumping the Times-News and subscribing to TriCitiesSports.com. They do a much better job of covering all high school sports.