Bands playing during game action..

EarlVolFan

I could agree with the reason of wanting someone to stop the bands from playing during plays and such. I mean it does have some affect on the linemen hearing the snap count and such and it really showed this year when Alcoa played Howard. Howard having a band that was Always Rockin and Well I think Alcoa’s band is the only band in the state that plays while its own team is trying to run a play, but during the Howard game I really couldn’t hear the QB, I had to watch the ball and that’s kinda sad when you’re the guy on Offense dont ya think? So I could agree with a rule of not letting them play during a play, but it has been done for years and I doubt it would have been as much of a problem if our own band wouldn’t have been helping them drown out the snap count... Maybe our band should just quit playing while where on offense??? ;)

No, our band at SC does it way too much also. In the Pearl Cohn game they played every time we got the ball, and for some reason our band tried to drown them out, there were at least 3 or 4 false starts in the second half. :lol:

I disagree, the band is part of the high school football atmoshphere. The boys just have to be disaplined and the quaterback needs to be loud. You don't hear big time colleges and NFL teams complaining about thousands of fans screaming and throwing them off. Noise is a part of the game no matter if it's from the fans, cheerleaders, or the band!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could agree with the reason of wanting someone to stop the bands from playing during plays and such. I mean it does have some affect on the linemen hearing the snap count and such and it really showed this year when Alcoa played Howard. Howard having a band that was Always Rockin and Well I think Alcoa’s band is the only band in the state that plays while its own team is trying to run a play, but during the Howard game I really couldn’t hear the QB, I had to watch the ball and that’s kinda sad when you’re the guy on Offense dont ya think? So I could agree with a rule of not letting them play during a play, but it has been done for years and I doubt it would have been as much of a problem if our own band wouldn’t have been helping them drown out the snap count... Maybe our band should just quit playing while where on offense??? ;)

No, our band at SC does it way too much also. In the Pearl Cohn game they played every time we got the ball, and for some reason our band tried to drown them out, there were at least 3 or 4 false starts in the second half. :lol:

I disagree, the band is part of the high school football atmoshphere. The boys just have to be disaplined and the quaterback needs to be loud. You don't hear big time colleges and NFL teams complaining about thousands of fans screaming and throwing them off. Noise is a part of the game no matter if it's from the fans, cheerleaders, or the band!

So who decides what composes 'atmosphere' at a high school game? What's next? Playing music loudly over the PA system during game action?! It would only be fair for the schools that don't have large bands..

There's a reason, folks, that the NCAA and the NFL ban team-sponsored artificial noise during gameplay. Feel free to yell and scream all you want, but trying to affect play by mechanical means (including musical instruments) is detrimental to the quality and fairness of play...and it is poor sportmanship.

The TSSAA needs a rule like the NCAA and the NFL.

but trying to affect play by mechanical means (including musical instruments) is detrimental to the quality and fairness of play

Then under these rules they need to ban cow bells, noise makers, bull horns, air horns, etc. I feel like I'd be going to a good Freewill Baptist Church if all i could do was scream, not a football game. What's next, no foam fingers?

but trying to affect play by mechanical means (including musical instruments) is detrimental to the quality and fairness of play

Then under these rules they need to ban cow bells, noise makers, bull horns, air horns, etc. I feel like I'd be going to a good Freewill Baptist Church if all i could do was scream, not a football game. What's next, no foam fingers?

All of those items, with the exception of the foam finger, are already banned by stadium rules, at many high schools. The TSSAA needs to set a standard.

All of those items, with the exception of the foam finger, are already banned by stadium rules, at many high schools. The TSSAA needs to set a standard.

Well I have been to some rule benders cause I have seen all of the above this year at various stadiums.

So I love how people blame false starts on the band. And in most places, the band kids get dogged for being...well band kids. lol And one person posted that he couldn't hear the QB and ACTUALLY had to watch the ball. Um....I'm no football expert...but isn't that the whole point of the game? Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway???

Anywho...I spoke with a member of TSSAA today, and air horns, cow bells, shakers...all that stuff is LEGAL and is allowed. The only time it will be stopped is if the officials deem it distracting to the OFFICIATING....not the game...officiating. If bands continuously play their horns during plays, they can be warned. After the warning can come an un-sportsman-like penalty. But those don't happen very often. You have to be making a LOT of noise for a ref to say anything.

I bet any opponent of UT wishes they could get the 100K+ fans to stop yelling and singing Rocky Top while they are on the field too...but you can rest assured that's not going to happen! :roflol:

Not letting the band play whenever is like telling those little league baseball players they cant say swing batter batter swing. Give me a break, Let em play.

OK. Let's let the tuba player and drummer stand right behind the batter and just as the ball gets to the plate they get to rip off with each instrument. That sounds fair.

It's against the rules to play while the ball is in motion. People that do it just chose to be rule breakers.

So I love how people blame false starts on the band. And in most places, the band kids get dogged for being...well band kids. lol And one person posted that he couldn't hear the QB and ACTUALLY had to watch the ball. Um....I'm no football expert...but isn't that the whole point of the game? Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway???

Anywho...I spoke with a member of TSSAA today, and air horns, cow bells, shakers...all that stuff is LEGAL and is allowed. The only time it will be stopped is if the officials deem it distracting to the OFFICIATING....not the game...officiating. If bands continuously play their horns during plays, they can be warned. After the warning can come an un-sportsman-like penalty. But those don't happen very often. You have to be making a LOT of noise for a ref to say anything.

I bet any opponent of UT wishes they could get the 100K+ fans to stop yelling and singing Rocky Top while they are on the field too...but you can rest assured that's not going to happen! :roflol:

Your talking yelling and singing. UTs band won't be playing while the play is in action. That's the difference. Ask Ole Miss about piping in artificial noise. They tried and were stopped.

Air horns are not allowed. I've seen them removed by the school administration.

Not letting the band play whenever is like telling those little league baseball players they cant say swing batter batter swing. Give me a break, Let em play.

Good analogy, I like it. :wacko:

Thanks, I kinda wish I would have made my name hermanboone so I could fit in a little better.

Herman Boone would be a good one. We also need a Paul Crewe, Booby Miles, Shane Falco, and Kevin and Danny O'Shea. :blink: