scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

FormerB, do you have any worries that Coach Jenkins could be a targeted coach for the Hilltoppers. After all...he is obviously a great motivator that has done a fabulous job of elevating Boone and putting them on the map this year. I feel that Science Hill needs a motivator more so than a disciplinary. They need that spark of PRIDE back. I’m afraid that with the mentality of many athletes and MOST parents of athletes… a disciplinarian will be on the field BY HIMSELF at The Hill. This program needs encouragement and just a taste of success in order to turn around. We all know the athletes are there… and with the addition of a brand new stadium and the opportunity to coach at the 6A level could be very attractive to an up and coming coach like Jenkins.

I think Coach Jenkins blood runs red and gold, at least when I've known him growing up and talked to him. I, personally, would have a hard time imagining him elsewhere because he simply loves Boone that much. Perhaps one of the two smartest football minds I know. The other is his dad.

Could he do it? Without a doubt, he can do a lot and is really just at the beginning of a long career. Since he has been at Boone, the winning percentage has to be better than Coach Greene, and it seems based on this year that things are slowly but surely getting better.

As far as diciplinarian...well everyone knows what his position is outside of football at Boone, so I don't think would be too big of a problem.

I'm not saying Jenkins couldn't go to the Hill and make them successful, but "one of the two smartest football minds"?? Are you serious? I hate to ruffle some Blazer feathers but I just don't get that statement at all. I've seen several coaching mistakes by Jenkins in the past. He's a good motivator and a decent coach. He's been very fortunate with the start of a good run of athletes at Boone. The Gray area has really exploded and he's been the benefactor. He's very good for Boone. Nothing more, nothing less. I do think Boone will be in the running for a conference title next year.

If you ever have the chance and sit down with both of them or one of them, you get them talking figures and stuff, you'll know what I mean. Can't argue against your opinion cause well, it is your opinion. Based on what happened this year, very few mistakes happened but sure, I bet there were some. But the sign of a good coach is one who learns from his mistakes, just like how a person becomes a better person.

Another note, there is a huge deal of respect for his dad, Jerry Jenkins, from all the football boys who played under him. I had the pleasure of being able to play for him, to see HIS passion and his dedication and his love for the game, and I know it is my own opinion, but I find it harder to find someone else who you want to have there for you. I know people from other schools will remember that coach who just knew what to say to get you motivated, but that was his dad. He knows the game, he's coached it enough years that he can talk about stuff you couldn't imagine someone remembering, and no... you didn't ruffle any feathers cause each community that supports their own coach will say hey I had that coach and they knew this and that. I can understand that Vol.

If we really want to go down the list, we can sit here and name the Stubbs, Graham, Greene, etc coaches who I've seen mistakes from, but its all the outside perspective so nope, no feathers ruffled on my behalf. Won't see me say Carter tho cause we just haven't been able to hit that nail since he has come to South, but I honestly hope he stays cause I'd rather Boone beat him at South than SH, you can understand that from a Blazer perspective I'm sure.

As far as a conference title...forget those thoughts this early cause as you saw from this past season, it didn't look like Boone had a shot in the dark from pre-season, the South game showed light, the DB game showed shock, and the TN High game (first one) was a let down but it helped us down the road actually. Great year for my boys, but they have a lot to build on and just need that intentsity to win it one game at a time, take names, and whip every single one every single week. By the time their done, if they knocked everyone down and have a title, great, if not, we learn from our mistakes and move on.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Science Hill football stadium

By Gary Gray

Press Staff Writer

"At least three major donors are interested in laying down some major bucks to acquire naming rights for part or all of a new $1 million fieldhouse behind the new Science Hill High School football stadium, Keith Turner, the school’s athletic director told the Johnson City Board of Education Monday night.

Turner appeared at the meeting to seek guidance and to find out more about the legalities of forming a committee to drive fundraising for the 3,500-square-foot fieldhouse, which would include a team meeting room, weight room, training room, locker room and coaches’ offices.

The fieldhouse will be funded separately from the new $5 million stadium.

“We need to get it formed to drive the campaign,” Turner said of a committee. “Using naming rights to fund for athletic buildings and other facilities is a method lots of schools are using. I’ve seen amounts range from $50,000 to $250,000 throughout the country, and in these economic times, it’s an especially good way to go.”

Board members agreed that a committee should be formed and the Johnson City Schools Foundation be used as a “flow point” for the funds to pass through. They also asked that Turner narrow down his choices and report back in January. At that point, the board will have double-checked with the City Commission of the legalities. A committee chair will then be tabbed to spearhead fundraising.

“It is city-owned property, so we’d need to make sure we talk with them,” said school board member Richard Manahan. “As far as an existing policy, I don’t know that we have one on naming rights. But we would have to give approval.”

Naming rights currently have price tags that go from $100 for the “Buy a Brick” campaign, to $1,000-$25,000 for placement on the “Donor Recognition Wall,” to a cool $250,000 to have your name on the fieldhouse. "

Well that answers some questions about the new stadium. Good news for the coach coming in...if they can get the field house up by May that is. If not...I'm sure whatever facilities SH has now are great, but you know those kids would love to have a new fieldhouse. So the stadium is 5 million and several people have lined up offering to build the field house... wow, I just want to know who these people are.

Spurrier? :thumb:

I think Coach Jenkins blood runs red and gold, at least when I've known him growing up and talked to him. I, personally, would have a hard time imagining him elsewhere because he simply loves Boone that much. Perhaps one of the two smartest football minds I know. The other is his dad.

Could he do it? Without a doubt, he can do a lot and is really just at the beginning of a long career. Since he has been at Boone, the winning percentage has to be better than Coach Greene, and it seems based on this year that things are slowly but surely getting better.

As far as diciplinarian...well everyone knows what his position is outside of football at Boone, so I don't think would be too big of a problem.

I'm not saying Jenkins couldn't go to the Hill and make them successful, but "one of the two smartest football minds"?? Are you serious? I hate to ruffle some Blazer feathers but I just don't get that statement at all. I've seen several coaching mistakes by Jenkins in the past. He's a good motivator and a decent coach. He's been very fortunate with the start of a good run of athletes at Boone. The Gray area has really exploded and he's been the benefactor. He's very good for Boone. Nothing more, nothing less. I do think Boone will be in the running for a conference title next year.

If you ever have the chance and sit down with both of them or one of them, you get them talking figures and stuff, you'll know what I mean. Can't argue against your opinion cause well, it is your opinion. Based on what happened this year, very few mistakes happened but sure, I bet there were some. But the sign of a good coach is one who learns from his mistakes, just like how a person becomes a better person.

Another note, there is a huge deal of respect for his dad, Jerry Jenkins, from all the football boys who played under him. I had the pleasure of being able to play for him, to see HIS passion and his dedication and his love for the game, and I know it is my own opinion, but I find it harder to find someone else who you want to have there for you. I know people from other schools will remember that coach who just knew what to say to get you motivated, but that was his dad. He knows the game, he's coached it enough years that he can talk about stuff you couldn't imagine someone remembering, and no... you didn't ruffle any feathers cause each community that supports their own coach will say hey I had that coach and they knew this and that. I can understand that Vol.

If we really want to go down the list, we can sit here and name the Stubbs, Graham, Greene, etc coaches who I've seen mistakes from, but its all the outside perspective so nope, no feathers ruffled on my behalf. Won't see me say Carter tho cause we just haven't been able to hit that nail since he has come to South, but I honestly hope he stays cause I'd rather Boone beat him at South than SH, you can understand that from a Blazer perspective I'm sure.

As far as a conference title...forget those thoughts this early cause as you saw from this past season, it didn't look like Boone had a shot in the dark from pre-season, the South game showed light, the DB game showed shock, and the TN High game (first one) was a let down but it helped us down the road actually. Great year for my boys, but they have a lot to build on and just need that intentsity to win it one game at a time, take names, and whip every single one every single week. By the time their done, if they knocked everyone down and have a title, great, if not, we learn from our mistakes and move on.

His Dad does know his stuff. You are correct. Jeremy will eventually get there I feel. Like you said, we all have our opinions. I like Jeremy a lot. He's great for Boone and Boone is great for him. I was just stating my opinion of what I know of his knowledge of the game at this point in his career. And what I know of him while he was here. He looked lost in the second half of our playoff game with you. But, that can happen to the best of them I guess. We were keeping tabs with your game in the playoffs with Tn High too. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't take a knee at the end of that one. The ONLY chance the Vikings had at the end was for Boone to score the TD. I guess he just got caught up in the emotions of the game that time. But, he's a good one and will only get better. I've seen Stacy make some "weird" calls too. Especially early in his career. But, he's like a fine wine, he's getting better with age. Good luck to you guys next year.

I don't see why you'd have to fire all the teachers to replace them as coaching. Does JC not just pay teachers a small stiped for coaching? If so, the possibly unwanted coaches could be fired as coaches, but still kept on staff as teachers, while the new coach could work out a deal with administration that possible coaches get first choice among new hires as jobs open up, and that the new coach gets a say. That's how it's done in most places.

This is a key element in program rebuilding. The coach must have the authority to determine who he has on staff. If that means working alone because his assistants cause more headaches than anything else, so be it. Devin Rutherford from White Station did just that when he was HC (and turned out to be THE ONLY COACH) at Byhalia, MS a few years ago. They struggled through a horrible season, but a year later (when he'd finally gotten his staff in place) he got that team into the second round of the playoffs.

The more details I see emerging about SH and how the program is treated by the principals and the admin at the school, the more I'm thinking that Smith got a raw deal. If he was forced to keep a bunch of holdover assistants who undermined him at every turn I don't see how any coach could be successful under those conditions. Especially when those guys were of questionable competence in the first place. A football program is only as good as its overall coaching staff. Look at the traditional success at Dobyns-Bennett, Gate City, or Stacy Carter's recent run at Sullivan South. Very stable, competent, dedicated assistant coaches there and they all all respect their roles in the chain of command.

Give Smith a break. Maybe his personality wasn't the right fit, but if he's got an unprofessional OL coach who's openly questioning everything in practices and he's not allowed to dump the guy and move forward without him, something's up. When the AD told the press that he was about to fire Smith anyway because of non-football related stuff, all that did was show what a classless jerk the AD is. If that stuff is the case, then no coach will ever have lasting success there. Not Carter, not Witten, and not Turner. I very much doubt that Carter or Witten would even want the job if they can't pick who they want on staff.

Disclaimer: the only dealings I've ever had with Coach Smith came when I contacted him before the season to ask if he could use me as a volunteer assistant. He wrote me back (one of only 3 coaches out of 12 to do so!) to say that those spots were full, but was very cordial, professional, and encouraging. I respect him for that.

The OL coach was not a hold over but he was hired by Coach Smith and as far as questioning things in practice it is his job. Since you have coaching aspirations maybe you can tell us all how running plays can work when the blocking scheme calls for pocket protection? Maybe you can tell us all how ANY play can work when your play allows for one or sometime two players to go UNBLOCKED even when the players are pleading their case.

All anyone had to do was sit in the stands for three years and you could see that the offense he had running around in his mind was not practical. The confusion that was evident for three years on offense leads to the frustration that must have boiled over. Bottom line is that unless you lived it day after day for three years then you can't really appreciate what the coaches and players had to deal with.

Whats done is done and there is no use in rehashing everything but in the end the best decision was made. I look forward to seeing who the next coach will be and will continue to support the Toppers in any way I can.

His Dad does know his stuff. You are correct. Jeremy will eventually get there I feel. Like you said, we all have our opinions. I like Jeremy a lot. He's great for Boone and Boone is great for him. I was just stating my opinion of what I know of his knowledge of the game at this point in his career. And what I know of him while he was here. He looked lost in the second half of our playoff game with you. But, that can happen to the best of them I guess. We were keeping tabs with your game in the playoffs with Tn High too. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't take a knee at the end of that one. The ONLY chance the Vikings had at the end was for Boone to score the TD. I guess he just got caught up in the emotions of the game that time. But, he's a good one and will only get better. I've seen Stacy make some "weird" calls too. Especially early in his career. But, he's like a fine wine, he's getting better with age. Good luck to you guys next year.

I don't know about the end of the game. I, like you, thought he would take the knee. I think the momentum was going so strong that he might as well keep running it. I don't believe Shropshire had a fumble all year and he was getting 5 to 6 yards a play down near the goal line, plus it taking about 4 to 5 guys to tackle him...momentum could really be a factor against TN High and make them feel desperate. If you are up there, then just keep drilling it home until you get the TD. A score did put TN High in a desperate place, since I think we were up by 9 by that time and they couldn't win UNLESS they got 2 TD or a TD and a field goal. I think with the time left, the only way you would get the TD was a long throw and to be honest, that game not one deep ball got down there so you can sit 2 FS back there and just let you catch it if you want, we still can get you stopped and run more of the clock. So you were left with what, about 45 seconds to get two scores, plus you'd have to get that onside kick. A lot of perfection was needed to get that done, and I think any team in the country would be hard put to do something like that. You saw the end result, so it didn't matter since he did do that. I guess when you are down there that close, might as well stick it end but I do see your point of view on it. Also, what if some TN High players decided they HAD to get the ball in the victory set and went for knees? I'd rather someone get hurt trying to run the ball in than a senior feeling desperate go and get a free shot. And no, TN High was full of class this year so I doubt they would do it, but it could happen.

I don't know about the end of the game. I, like you, thought he would take the knee. I think the momentum was going so strong that he might as well keep running it. I don't believe Shropshire had a fumble all year and he was getting 5 to 6 yards a play down near the goal line, plus it taking about 4 to 5 guys to tackle him...momentum could really be a factor against TN High and make them feel desperate. If you are up there, then just keep drilling it home until you get the TD. A score did put TN High in a desperate place, since I think we were up by 9 by that time and they couldn't win UNLESS they got 2 TD or a TD and a field goal. I think with the time left, the only way you would get the TD was a long throw and to be honest, that game not one deep ball got down there so you can sit 2 FS back there and just let you catch it if you want, we still can get you stopped and run more of the clock. So you were left with what, about 45 seconds to get two scores, plus you'd have to get that onside kick. A lot of perfection was needed to get that done, and I think any team in the country would be hard put to do something like that. You saw the end result, so it didn't matter since he did do that. I guess when you are down there that close, might as well stick it end but I do see your point of view on it. Also, what if some TN High players decided they HAD to get the ball in the victory set and went for knees? I'd rather someone get hurt trying to run the ball in than a senior feeling desperate go and get a free shot. And no, TN High was full of class this year so I doubt they would do it, but it could happen.

No, what I'm saying is with less than a minute to go and Tn High not having any timeouts left, all you should do is take the knee. The only way Tn High had a shot at the game was for Boone to run it in and miss the XP making it an 8 pt game. Game was over until Boone scored. I actually think Stubbs knew that and let them score.

No, what I'm saying is with less than a minute to go and Tn High not having any timeouts left, all you should do is take the knee. The only way Tn High had a shot at the game was for Boone to run it in and miss the XP making it an 8 pt game. Game was over until Boone scored. I actually think Stubbs knew that and let them score.

Two things Scotty: As we now know, the game was over before Boone scored the last time because Tennessee High never scored again. And do you actually think Stubbs would let them score "hoping they would miss the extra point" Get real! You should be able to come up with a better example than that.

Two things Scotty: As we now know, the game was over before Boone scored the last time because Tennessee High never scored again. And do you actually think Stubbs would let them score "hoping they would miss the extra point" Get real! You should be able to come up with a better example than that.

Okay, tell me what Stubbs would do if Boone takes a knee?

It doesn't matter. He was beat either way. Thats why I said, "you should be able to come up with a better example". Don't be so defensive. :thumb:

Not being defensive. I love tapping into the brain of a football genius like yourself. :thumb: The game wasn't over the way Jenkins played it. That's my point. The ONLY way Tn High had a chance was for Boone to run it. Only chance was A) Boone fumbles B ) Boone scores and misses the PAT. Jeremy shouldn't have chanced it. Bad coaching decision that ended up working out. It happens.

Its a theam with all you Southers and DB haters to "try" to pick fun at my "football knowledge". To tell you the truth, I'll tell you now that nobody posting on CoachT has alot of "football knowledge". If they did they would be coaching somewhere and wouldn't have time to waste here. Most of the people on here just like to talk football and about their teams. Some of the people on here like to pose and pretend. Im going to have to point out that your statement "bad coaching decision that ended up working out" puts you in the pose and pretend class. If it had been a bad coaching decision it "would not" of worked out. Just common sense. And thats the difference in a real coach and a poser on CoachT. The results show that he made the right decision. He put the game out of reach. End of story.