What's the future of D2 Football?

Commotion

Maybe in the future.................

1. There will be a couple of DII AA schools pop up in east Tn that would provide for a more well rounded division.

2. BGA and maybe JPII could possibly slip to DII A one day.

3. In middle division, MBA, BA, and EHS will always be competitive with FRHS close behind.

4. In the west there will be just one competitive school every year, but not two.

5. In Chattanooga both Baylor and McCallie will continue being programs that compete about every 4 or 5 years.

6. I'd like to see a east/middle vs west regular season matchup, but due to travel concerns that won't be happening.

7. A playoff that has merit in the future.

8. DI schools are given an incentive to play DII schools vs a penalty for having a DII loss when it comes to playoff tie breakers.

Merry Christmas

Pretty insighful. I especially like 7 and 8. Regarding 6, if I recall correctly, originally each team played all the others. This guaranteed everybody a minimum of two long road trips each year. I'm not sure there's a good solution that involves 2 divisions.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe in the future.................

1. There will be a couple of DII AA schools pop up in east Tn that would provide for a more well rounded division.

2. BGA and maybe JPII could possibly slip to DII A one day.

3. In middle division, MBA, BA, and EHS will always be competitive with FRHS close behind.

4. In the west there will be just one competitive school every year, but not two.

5. In Chattanooga both Baylor and McCallie will continue being programs that compete about every 4 or 5 years.

6. I'd like to see a east/middle vs west regular season matchup, but due to travel concerns that won't be happening.

7. A playoff that has merit in the future.

8. DI schools are given an incentive to play DII schools vs a penalty for having a DII loss when it comes to playoff tie breakers.

Merry Christmas

Ah! Finally. An answer I was looking for in regard to my question!

Hehe Thank you :thumb:

• 2 months later...
interesting question....

my observation would be that Middle TN will be the center of the D2 universe in a civil-war type atmosphere as you describe. FRHS is at long last operating on equal footing with the others with its own on campus stadium. I'm not sold on Lussier, but FRHS is in a position to make strides in the division in the coming years. BA will be BA; MBA will be MBA, and EHS will continue to rise. BGA and JPII are going to have a hard time keeping up as small schools with limited resources. MBA, BA, FRHS, and EHS have many storylines among them. That round robin is going to be fun (again, esp with Ryan playing on campus) for all involved.

I really dont understand how you are not sold on Lussier? Have you been to a Ryan football game before him?

2002 1-9, 2003 2-8, 2004 2-8,

Lussier arrived in 2005.

2005, 3-7, 2006 5-6, 2007 9-3, 2008, 5-5, 2009 8-4.

His record is 30-25. He pushed hard for Ryan to get a stadium. He built up a top notch 12th man club. He turned around Father Ryan football and has made them respectable. Has given Ensworth a run for their money (no pun intended) the last few years. He is first class all the way and Father Ryan couldn't ask for a better coach.

If the alumni & Board of Directors @ The Baylor School ever decide they want to win state championships in football everyone else will be playing for 2nd place. They have the facilities, are a boarding school (can go get players), have the funds, etc... to not only win but win in a big way. The Baylor School could be in the Top 25 of most national rankings every year if they could get everyone at the school pulling on the same end of the rope.

The boarding school argument is a popular notion, but having boarding students does not mean that schools will have the ability to hoard athletes. There are many logistical issues. Such as boarding students would not be at the school until school was actually in session in middle to late August. Therefore, the boarding students would be missing much of the off season program. Baylor has only a handful of boarding students on the Varsity team.

Football is a numbers game. You can win with a handful of good players in basketball and other sports but not football. To win state titles, teams need to have depth to win. Look at the dominant teams in Div II since its inception, MBA and MUS. Both have large male enrollments. Teams such as Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, BGA, etc can produce great games, but their numbers simply make an uphill battle.

The boarding school argument is a popular notion, but having boarding students does not mean that schools will have the ability to hoard athletes. There are many logistical issues. Such as boarding students would not be at the school until school was actually in session in middle to late August. Therefore, the boarding students would be missing much of the off season program. Baylor has only a handful of boarding students on the Varsity team.

Football is a numbers game. You can win with a handful of good players in basketball and other sports but not football. To win state titles, teams need to have depth to win. Look at the dominant teams in Div II since its inception, MBA and MUS. Both have large male enrollments. Teams such as Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, BGA, etc can produce great games, but their numbers simply make an uphill battle.

I dont know about MBA, but I think MUS has about 105 kids in their senior class. Thats not very big.