Tri-County Seven - - Week of 6 December, 2009

krichunaka

Sorry I'm late.

1) Unicoi County

Three games this week:

Host the Lady Warriors of Happy Valley, Tuesday.

At Undefeated (as of 4 December) North Buncombe, North Carolina, Thursday.

Host Sullivan North, Friday.

2) Elizabethton - - Four-Win Week for the Lady Cyclones, including the

Doc Maples Championship thriller against then unbeaten Tennessee High.

Congratulations to Cara Bowling - - Maples Tourney MVP.

Cakewalk week on the road at Sullivan East and Happy Valley.

Though the meeting with the Lady Warriors could be very interesting.

3) Hampton - - Two losses last week; but to our top two teams.

So, no change for now.

No games scheduled this week.

4) Cloudland

Thrashed Providence Academy.

Consecutive home games this week:

Thursday - Chuckey Doak

Friday - - - Sullivan South

5) Unaka

Nice win at Happy Valley.

Huge road, Conference challenge at North Greene this Friday.

6) Happy Valley

Two home losses last week.

Unaka 47 - 54

Daniel Boone 36 - 41

Tuesday night the Lady Warriors travel to Unicoi County.

And, Friday, they host Elizabethton.

Good luck with that.

7) Johnson County

The Lady Longhorns travel to Sullivan North, Tuesday.

Friday, Sullivan East goes to Mountain City.

i like your picks this week 1 correction unicoi is home against happy valley

im telling the unicoi and betsy games are shaping up to be some of the best

in the area as always right..

Thanks so much, Squirrel34, for the heads-up. I made the corrections in the original post.

And, agreed, the games with Elizabethton should be two, three, or perhaps even four of this season's best games.

I will agree with Krich's order for at least one more week, but the Lady Cyclones are beginning to click and the win over Tennessee High was impressive. Cara Bowling was awesome in the Doc Maples and had another great game tonight as the Lady Cyclones destroyed Sullivan East 72-32 to push their record to 8-1 (They are not counting the Greeneville loss...I know, I know...LOL!). The Lady Cyclones are pressing, running, and playing pressure man-to man defense. They have a solid top eight and are developing depth quickly. The Lady Cyclones played all 15 players tonight and they all contributed something. Seniors Jefferson and Fritz were solid as always. Juniors Powell, Cara Bowling, Chelsea Bowling, Simmons, and Kiser all played well. Sophomores Jones, Norris, and Thacker had their best games of the season. And the Freshmen Colbaugh, DeMoss, Roberts, DePew, and Madgett played a solid 4th quarter. Freshman Christine Hardin did not dress tonight, but the Cyclones have 16 good players. The JV has won big in their first two games. The Lady Cyclones cupboard is fully stocked and there appears to be no end in sight. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Don't you just love it when coachh gets to talking about his Lady Cyclones...just wish he would get a little more excited!! They are pretty good though and will continue to get better. Not as sure about their depth as much as coach is, at least playing against a little better team than Sullivan East. The win over Tennesse High isn't as impressive today since they also lost to Science Hill last night, but still have a pretty decent team. Krich is right on his picks again and like I've posted before and still believe the top two are on a level by themselves with Hampton alone in the third spot with Cloudland (will be able to tell a little more about them after this Thursday and Friday) and Unaka pretty close but with some seperation between them and the bottom two Happy Valley and Johnson County. Elizabethton probably has the better team than Unicoi but until they meet or Unicoi turnsovers the ball they should be ranked above the dear Cyclones....

What about the game this Friday between the Cyclones and the Warriors? Does anyone think there is any "bad blood" between the two teams? Don't think it will be much of a game between the teams but could be interesting to watch what goes on elsewhere. Any thoughts from anyone???

I am sure there are some folks in the Warrior camp that are not happy, but I would not anticipate any "bad blood" activities to occur on the court. There may be some cat calling from the stands or student section, but I doubt that will even occur. I believe people just move on. I fully expect the Lady Warriors to play hard and try to win. I also expect Elizabethton will bring their "A" game. You never know in these county rivalry games, but I think Betsy wins.....62-45.

Unicoi County lost last night in Weaverville, North Carolina to the undefeated Lady Black Hawks of North Buncombe County High School - - 54-38. It didn't help that Unicoi County didn't have guard Emmi Thompson available. She should be able to return to practice this Monday.

The Lady Blue Devils often didn't box out well, threw a few errant passes, and certainly didn't get a lot of favorable officiating, but, as can always be expected from Coach Glenn Fisher's teams, they competed to the final horn.

The Lady Black Hawks crashed the boards with wild abandon, and in fact, a few over-the-back calls could've spelled a different outcome. But, for sure, North Buncombe is a very good team, with a lot of stout bodies and good outside shooters. The biggest concern (to me at least) was with the ability of the Lady Hawks to attack the lane off the dribble. And, of course, the offensive rebounding!

Still a very young team, Erwin will probably be a Regional semi-finalist. From there it's anybody's guess.