Can Greeneville Rebound?

budkilmer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils have dropped 5 of 6 and two strait losses to two In County teams. We will need Wayne Phillips to tell us the last time that happened, if ever. Can they get back on track or is Billy D in for a long year?

The boys are gonna have to learn to play the same way everyone else does.....without a marquis player. Hopson has size but no presence underneath. Obviously the pg thinks all he needs to do is get it to Everhart, who, although prolific, has also been rather "streaky" in the past. This team needs Anderson and Quarles to step up big....and where is Landon Morrison?

i noticed when they were at WG that Landon was a spectator....why is that

Landon quit a while back. I think Greeneville will be alright. They just havent found a rotation that plays well together yet. I thought Eathan Mashburn played well coming off the bench last night and Wes Quarles played really good. Although it will be very hard to win the conference now I believe the Greene Devils will still be around come March.

Landon quit a while back. I think Greeneville will be alright. They just havent found a rotation that plays well together yet. I thought Eathan Mashburn played well coming off the bench last night and Wes Quarles played really good. Although it will be very hard to win the conference now I believe the Greene Devils will still be around come March.

Aside from the Carmichael kid, the "rotation" that you are talking about probably won't change. The Devils bench doesn't go very deep at all this year!!! The talent level is just down right now from where it has been in the past few years...which by no means am I saying that GHS is not a good team, because ANY team that plays DEFENSE the way Bill Duncan coaches them too is going to be in a position to win ballgames whether all the offensive firepower of the past is there or not, but the Devils may be in for a long year if the GHS faithful is expecting a year like that of the past 8-10 seasons again this year...And even if they do come together and start winning like they are accustomed to it still will definately not be "A walk in the Park" for them by any means!!!

It's just now gettin cranked up!!! There is a LONG season with LOTS of basketball left! It will be interesting to see how everything unfolds the rest of the year!!!

I think they'll be alright...just need to ease everybody into their roles....would somebody convince Hopson he could be a BEAST underneath?????

• 2 weeks later...

Barb, help me, For the life of me I can't find who our 6th win is against. I'm OC and it is not shown on Coacht schedules. Things like that make me anxious.

By the way I'm looking forward to the second season when the Devils have straighten things out. Conference champs we may not but be, but I like us at Tourney time, when it really counts.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed on the schedule yesterday that it is listed that Greeneville and West Greene are playing their game in Charleston, SC. Is that right? Seems like a huge waste of money for two schools to travel 300 miles to play a game when they are 15 miles apart. I hope it is a misprint on the schedule because it makes no sense at all.

I noticed on the schedule yesterday that it is listed that Greeneville and West Greene are playing their game in Charleston, SC. Is that right? Seems like a huge waste of money for two schools to travel 300 miles to play a game when they are 15 miles apart. I hope it is a misprint on the schedule because it makes no sense at all.

I understand your concern, but this is the other side of HS sports. They are traveling together on the same bus and it is an opportunity for 2 programs in ET to play in a D1 venue before a D1 BB game. Coach Duncan and Mr. Larry Bible, principal of WGHS have been working on this for a while. Greeneville has an outstanding player, Antwan Wiggins on the College of Charleston team and noone knew he would have a season ending injury. Most of us in Greeneville/Greene County give lip service to improving City/County relationships and here is an actuall opportunity to do it as they share the same bus, rooms and meals together. I also believe Coach Bobby Cremins is helping out as well. Friendships will be made on this trip long after everyone other than the players and their parents have forgotten who won or lost this game. I would also say that many of these young men have never been to Charlston and some even to a beach. That in itself is an educational experience.

You are right the senior class did win the East TN State Title when they were 8th graders. I think Quarles and Hopson are the only seniors that played on that team. The other players such as Andy McNeese and Landon Morrison excelled in other sports (football) and decided not to play basketball anymore. It happens all the time at Greeneville, athletes decide to Concentrate on 1 or 2 sports that they like better or thing they have a shot at a scholarship.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't this senior class the boys who went undefeated as 8th graders and won the East TN State Title....and isn't Quarles the only senior left who played in middle school....where did they all go???

Still if they all stayed together through the years and played together, the high school game is different than middle school. Some middle schools combine together to form high schools. Take the teams Greeneville Middle plays for example. Jefferson Middle and Maury Middle form Jeff Co. High, Westview, Lincoln Hieghts, and some of Meadowview form Morristown West. Unfortunately that doesn't happen for Greeneville. They may get a hand full of county tuitioners or an athlete from Towering Oaks but that is it. I remember several years ago Raymond Lee, Brad Woosley, and that crew went undefeated their eigth grade year (I believe there is still a banner at GMS) and did not make much noise outside of the IMAC when they got to Greeneville High.