Hixson wins the Vandergriff Duals

MatTape

Host Hixson Claims Vandergriff Duals

by B.B. Branton

posted December 23, 2009

Standing in a near empty-gym, victorious Hixson coach Garrick Hall wasn't sure when the last time a Wildcat wrestling team had started the season with a double digit winning streak before this season.

“Not sure what happened in the past, but tonight we are 15-0 and for the most part we wrestled well and it is good to win a tournament, especially this one,'' said Hall, alluding to the specialness of claiming the gold trophy for this one-day, eight-team duals named for former Hixson coach Roger Vandergriff.

Former Hixson coaching colleague and current Signal Mountain head coach Casey Thompson pointed to “the last time'' as the 10-0 start by the Wildcats for the 1997-98 season.

“We won 10 straight before losing at Ridgeland in mid December,'' said Thompson who was Hixson Middle School head coach with Hall as his assistant eight years ago.

Garrick and the 'Cats defeated Thompson and company tonight, 49-24, for Hixson's third crown in the four year history of this event.

“This is our first finals in any duals tournament in our two year program and scoring 24 points against the small school state duals champion is a pretty good accomplishment,'' said Thompson whose Eagles (14-3) were third in this tourney last season.

Using a veteran lineup – eight returners from the 2009 state duals title team – Hixson rushed to a 21-0 with wins in the first four weights (match started at 112).

The Black and Gold then extended that to wins in seven of the first nine for the largest lead – 34 points - of the night and a commanding 43-9 advantage after Wildcat sophomore Justin Mathieson (one of the veterans) pinned Austin Pressley in 1:57 at 171.

“We wrestled well in spots and also have some things to fix,'' said Hall.

Asked about his veteran lineup he was quick to point out that he has worked with several of his wrestlers since their middle school days.

“I have grown up with these juniors and seniors who were on my middle school teams seven years ago and we now reap the rewards of seeds we planted,'' he stated.

After a forfeit win for Giovanti Palacio at 112, Isaiah Hawthorne (up from the junior varsity and with three falls on the day) posted the quickest fall of the finals, stopping Micah Pressley in 14 seconds.

Teammates Curtis Fletcher, Sean Borders, Gary Cosey and Curtis Flanagan (three are vets) also had wins for a 33-3 lead at the half way mark. Logan Henley (125) got the Eagles on the board with a 12-5 win against Drew Schefano.

Senior Nick Alemany's major decision came before Mathieson's fall for the 43-9 score which secured the win.

Signal Mountain then won three of the final four matches – falls by Dane DeWitt (189) and Will Henley (103) sandwiched around a Tyler Montgomery come-from-behind 8-7 triumph against Christian Varner at 215.

Best Match: at 215, the Eagles' Tyler Montgomery trailed 7-3 after two, but used a reverse and a 3-point near fall in the final two minutes and held his opponent scoreless for the win, 8-7.

Hixson 49, Signal Mountain 24

112 – Giovanti Palacio (H) forfeit win

119 – Isaiah Hawthorne (H) pinned Micah Pressley, :14

125 – Curtis Fletcher (H) dec. Walker Henley, 7-0

130 – Sean Borders (H) pinned Taylor Schmidt, 4:45

135 – Logan Hensley (SM) dec. Drew Schefano, 12-5

140 – Gary Cosey (H) pinned Joe Drennan, :40

145 – Curtis Flanagan (H) pinned Aaron Moore, 2:23

152 - Brock Pressley (SM) pinned Jake Duncan, :31

160 – Nick Alemany (H) major dec. Derrick Usry, 13-3

171 – Justin Mathieson (H) pinned Austin Pressley, 1:57

189 – Dane DeWitt (SM) pinned Thomas Crowder, 4:29

215 – Tyler Montgomery (SM) dec. Christian Varner, 8-7

285 – Alphonso Smith (H) pinned Austin Burke, 1:01

103- Will Hensley (SM) pinned My Le, 2:54

Records: Hixson (15-0), Signal Mountain (11-3)

Next Matches: Jan. 5 – Bradley Central at Hixson (match at the middle school gym)

Wins: Hixson, 9-5

Falls: Hixson, 6

Tech Falls: 0

Major Dec.: Hixson, 1

Regular Dec.: Hixson, 1

Most Takedowns: 5 - Nick Alemany (H)

Most Points in a Period: 13 - Curtis Flanagan (H) in the first period. And a 13-2 advantage.

Most Reverses: 2 – Logan Henley (SM)

Most 2-Point Near Falls: 2 – Curtis Flanagan (H), Will Henley (SM)

Most 3-Point Near Falls: 1 – by five wrestlers

Quickest Fall: :14 – Isaiah Hawthorne (H)

Technical Violation: 1 – MyLe (H)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a great accomplishment if they had actually wrestled some teams that are ranked higher in the state. It is obvious that this tournament is set up so Hixson can win. Not a very hard tournament. Looks like Coach Vandergriff would request to see more competitive teams in a tournament that proclaims his name. He was never one, when he coached, to dodge very competitive teams, win or lose, that would prepare his teams for the stronger competition that they would see later in the season. It is nice to win duals but to set it up just so the host can win it in order to claim a piece of hardware that they can hang on the wall is not a great philosophy. I seen many of the matches during these duals and there were a few good matches but nothing outstanding. I am not taking anything away from the athletes that participated but it is very obvious that this was set up for Hixson to meet Signal in the finals, current coach to meet former assistant with Hixson to take the win. Does this fulfill the coaches satisfaction or the athletes? Not really sure how to answer that one. Does it really matter that you have won 15 wins when you can't win the big one's that matter in February?

Oochie,

As a former Hixson wrestler under Vandergriff and coach of another team, I take offense at your comments. Coach Hall tried to get many teams to come and many had other plans. He then arranged the pools to please the coaches that were there, not himself. Hixson has beaten Soddy and Ooltewah and they have Bradley coming up next. What more do you want from them? If you are just looking for a reason to bash Hixson, maybe you find some toys to go play with in your room.

Not only did Oochie's comment take away from from Hixson, it takes away from the kids from Signal Mountain who have progressed a great deal since the program started last year. SMHS pretty much stomped East Ridge earlier in the year, and havn't been given any spotlight. Look for Signal to keep moving up especially since most of their starters are from 8th graders to sophomores

Oochie,

As a former Hixson wrestler under Vandergriff and coach of another team, I take offense at your comments. Coach Hall tried to get many teams to come and many had other plans. He then arranged the pools to please the coaches that were there, not himself. Hixson has beaten Soddy and Ooltewah and they have Bradley coming up next. What more do you want from them? If you are just looking for a reason to bash Hixson, maybe you find some toys to go play with in your room.

I didn't mean to offend you with the truth. Hixson outscored its opponents 277 to 37. Actually wrestled a team of Junior Varsity wrestlers named "Team Combine". "He then arranged the pools to please the coaches that were there". It is easy to see who was pleased. I know about Soddy and Ooltewah. I was there. Soddy has wrestlers hurt and Ooltewah is down very much. Please, this was posted on another post. Quit living in the past. Bradley is next on the schedule Jan. 5 at the middle school. Did these duals prepare Hixson for Bradley by outscoring their opponents 277 to 37 and wrestling a group of Junior Varsity wrestlers? Which I can't believe happened. I don't see it. After Bradley is Seq. Co., Whitwell, Central (who didn't score a point against Hixson) Boyd who is limited in number, CCS who also is limited in number causing forfeits. I know there are district schedules to follow but where are the McCallie and Baylor teams that Coach Vandergriff was never once scared to face? I, being a Hixson alumni, remember those days. What more do I want from them? I want to be able to sit in Franklin and see a kid from Hixson make it real far. But without proper preparation with the thought of February in mind, a winning season in December and January is well forgotten in February when it really counts. As far as bashing Hixson, take it how you may. Time will tell and I'll see if you are sitting in the stands in Franklin more or sitting on the sidelines coaching a State Champion. I'll bet the stands. Spectator. As far as the play room remark, how immature. I would hope that your players don't know that you have conversations of bashing your toy in a play room. Please keep that to yourself!

Well Oochie,

you may be eager to post but you haven't thought it through. They invited Walker Valley and they couldn't come. I know, I was there for the email exchange! they invited the team from middle tennessee that was supposed to give Bradley a run this year and they backed out. ( That was Blackman)When I, (yes it was me) was removed as coach and teacher and there was concern about something since I am a Hixson alum! ( I dont think anyone on here is shocked at that one) So the one day Tourney was set up to be a tough test for the cats. I dont mind your comments about the team, I might agree that they are underacheiving their potential (15-0 without a tournament Championship) and should be doing better BUT dont you dare disrespect a man who was taught by Connell and taught me and I either beat or wrestled guys you would like to have autographs from or pay money to watch!

Roger Vandergriff was and IS a great coach and while it would be hard to find teams good enough to honor him, teams still gather to honor a great community and school that has a tradition, maybe more rich than any other school in the state!!!!! while others have won more titles, Hixson has one of, if not the best, 40 year average of any school. (only 2 .500 seasons!!! No, only Baylor can come close) I cannot imagine accomplished coaches like Morgan, Simpson (either one), Connell, Henry, Jordan, Jackson, Miller or Logsdon suggesting that this fine man ever backed down from a tough match!!! Vandergriff shows the class that any father would want for his son, by giving his best to his community. Please take this opportunity to retract your comments not only because it is close to Christmas and it would be Christian but because this man is going through more than you could ever know and your comments are out of line!!!! If you need to satisfy your desire to insult someone, insult me, I have tough skin and will find your insults better suited than toward this fine man!

Bloss, while oochies views are somewhat skewed, i don't think he was blasting Coach V.

Oochie, so you are saying he needs to add Baylor and McCallie and that would do it. Maybe you should get with Coach Hall to help him make the schedule next year. Getting the "right" teams scheduled is not an easy process. You ever done it? Since you seem to be so close to the Hixson crowd, why didn't you make your suggestions straight to Coach Hall instead of voicing your "concerns" on an anonymous forum?

It looks like a fairly easy tournament for Hickson to win from anyone's view, I think that is what oochie was saying.

I heard that way before oochie decided to post his comments here. Good win for Hickson, but nothing to brag about.

on a side note, I fail to see where anything that oochie may have said is any worse than the response about how badly East Ridge was beaten. And the bloss rant seems to be from way out of left field as well, paying to see him wrestle???

It looks like a fairly easy tournament for Hickson to win from anyone's view, I think that is what oochie was saying.

I heard that way before oochie decided to post his comments here. Good win for Hickson, but nothing to brag about.

on a side note, I fail to see where anything that oochie may have said is any worse than the response about how badly East Ridge was beaten. And the bloss rant seems to be from way out of left field as well, paying to see him wrestle???

Tend to agree with Tex. On a scale 10, oochies' word choices and presentation would be about a 2 maybe, but his perspective is understood.

I would also like to give a shout out to one of the better Traditional Programs historically in the state and ole' Roger Vandergriff (father of Chris Vandergriff?....LOL)

I want to apologize for my "rant" last night. I have been worried about the Vandergriff family and so when I was told of some of the comments on this thread topic, I got frustrated. I am very grateful to Coach V and all the help he gave me not only during high school but long after. I was amazed that leaving Hixson and going west to wrestle on teams with Rulon Gardner, Derek Sanders, Randy Leydecker, Ken Kobes and many, many all americans, national champions; I was amazed at how an average wrestler could compete in a room with these guys but also contribute with them to a team championship and two top three finishes. When I took two years off to go on a church mission, it was coach Vandergriff that worked with me to get me in shape to wrestle again after so much time off. I felt very fortunate to wrestle against Tito Ortiz, Bobby Lashley, Michael Irving, Kendrick Simmons and in tournaments with Cael Sanderson, Lesner, Lords and many others. I believe that these opportunities came because he helped me see a dream through when no one else wanted to make the time. He went out on a limb for me this fall, encouraging Coach Hall to invite Blackman down, where I was coaching. Obviously that ended poorly and left his tournament short what may have been a good team.

I just want to say I am sorry if that had any impact on the tournaments credibility and hope Tex23, CChulk and all the rest of you have a great christmas. I will stay off of here until I have a bit less on my plate. Besides, do you think someone can start a thread on how to put together toddlers/childrens toys? I've been getting my butt kicked by them for days now. Thanks.