Spring Hill Raiders

classof80

I may be speaking "out of school" here but the best I can remember, the current principal (former ag teacher) busted his butt keeping up the field and was the p.a. announcer for the games. I'D say he's pretty supportive of the "student athlete".

You're right, he loves the ag stuff!! :popcorneater:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be speaking "out of school" here but the best I can remember, the current principal (former ag teacher) busted his butt keeping up the field and was the p.a. announcer for the games. I'D say he's pretty supportive of the "student athlete".

You're right, he loves the ag stuff!! :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the "ag stuff" (but we both know you know that). I'm talking about caring for kids. ie: student athletes.

Being a Principal at a High School is not an easy job. I know I wouldn't want it.

The school has been there for 18 years now and the football team still does not have a field house and the visitors dressing areas are unacceptable. The baseball/softball teams don't have the facilities to be able to practice indoors. They have to use the upper balcony area for indoor batting practice etc. And that's when basketball doesn't have preference. Soccer really doesn't have any facilities. No Track. No Tennis Courts.

The weight room was upgraded this year with equipment, thanks to Coach S and some generious donors. It is the only weight room for all the athletes and can only handle about 25 players.

I think the Principle does a pretty good job, but it sure does seem like Spring Hill is treated like a step child by the "powers that be" within Maury Co School system. Is that because the Director is a graduate of Columbia Central? I don't know, but it seems that Columbia gets more support than the other high schools within Maury Co.

I'd like for the Admin at Spring Hill to "scream" a little louder from time to time to get what the student-athletes at The HILL need. :thumb:

Being a Principal at a High School is not an easy job. I know I wouldn't want it.

The school has been there for 18 years now and the football team still does not have a field house and the visitors dressing areas are unacceptable. The baseball/softball teams don't have the facilities to be able to practice indoors. They have to use the upper balcony area for indoor batting practice etc. And that's when basketball doesn't have preference. Soccer really doesn't have any facilities. No Track. No Tennis Courts.

The weight room was upgraded this year with equipment, thanks to Coach S and some generious donors. It is the only weight room for all the athletes and can only handle about 25 players.

I think the Principle does a pretty good job, but it sure does seem like Spring Hill is treated like a step child by the "powers that be" within Maury Co School system. Is that because the Director is a graduate of Columbia Central? I don't know, but it seems that Columbia gets more support than the other high schools within Maury Co.

I'd like for the Admin at Spring Hill to "scream" a little louder from time to time to get what the student-athletes at The HILL need. :lol:

Amen66in74 !!!!!! Spring Hill has always been Maury Co. "stepkid" even when they won state !

What about this '80?

Not so much about "how much they care about the student-athlete"; but just a bad decision imho.

Football is losing a football assistant to Indy, then they take another assistant football coach (LB's) with absolutely "0", notta; did I say 0 experience with soccer and forces him to be the soccer coach this spring.

In summary: Football will be down 2 coaches come spring practice and soccer will have a coach that knows absolutely nothing about soccer.

How does that help either sports team?

Until Maury County takes a sincere and serious approach toward athletics, Maury teams will always be kind of a one and done type area. Yeah I know Columbia had a great season and Spring Hill had a good season this year; but until the School Board and Central office take athletics seriously it will just be dependent on luck as to how well Maury teams do.

I have just been informed that SH Quarterback Broc Loveless signed a football scholarship to play for Cumberland University this morning. Also starting offensive tackle Nathan Sanders signed with Austin Peay State University on the 11th of Febuary. Good things going on at the hill.

Congrats to both. They are good athletes and great young men!

Best of luck! :roll:

What about this '80?

Not so much about "how much they care about the student-athlete"; but just a bad decision imho.

Football is losing a football assistant to Indy, then they take another assistant football coach (LB's) with absolutely "0", notta; did I say 0 experience with soccer and forces him to be the soccer coach this spring.

In summary: Football will be down 2 coaches come spring practice and soccer will have a coach that knows absolutely nothing about soccer.

Until Maury County takes a sincere and serious approach toward athletics, Maury teams will always be kind of a one and done type area. Yeah I know Columbia had a great season and Spring Hill had a good season this year; but until the School Board and Central office take athletics seriously it will just be dependent on luck as to how well Maury teams do.

Well 74, not a good situation at all, I'm sure there are factors we don't know about causing some of these decisions and I would put the blame square on the county's shoulders. ( of course they will blame budget cuts etc...) but the fact remains there is NO emphasis put on athletics. I'm not suggesting it is the most important thing but from my best estimation Maury Co. is not exactly an academic mecca. Not saying they couldn't be but I think athletics can improve academics ( but thats another story for another day) I'm not buying what they're selling. I had the chance to ride by the new SHMS Wow what a facility, built in a terrible location. IMHO...... They should have made the high school the new middle school built another elementary where the new middle school sits and built a new Spring Hill High School with up to date facilities and get this..... Actually in the city of Spring Hill !!!! but what do I know ?

• 2 weeks later...
What about this '80?

Well 74, not a good situation at all, I'm sure there are factors we don't know about causing some of these decisions and I would put the blame square on the county's shoulders. ( of course they will blame budget cuts etc...) but the fact remains there is NO emphasis put on athletics. I'm not suggesting it is the most important thing but from my best estimation Maury Co. is not exactly an academic mecca. Not saying they couldn't be but I think athletics can improve academics ( but thats another story for another day) I'm not buying what they're selling. I had the chance to ride by the new SHMS Wow what a facility, built in a terrible location. IMHO...... They should have made the high school the new middle school built another elementary where the new middle school sits and built a new Spring Hill High School with up to date facilities and get this..... Actually in the city of Spring Hill !!!! but what do I know ?

I went out to look at the new SH Middle School last weekend and you are right........WOW!

I thought I must have crossed the county line somewhere into Williamson Co. 8-)

It will be one of the nicest Middle School with some of the nicest athletic facilities anywhere. :)

• 2 weeks later...