Mr. and Miss Bowler

proudbowlingmom

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spoke with White Station coach Catlin. He has 2 girls in Div. 1 and one boy. His 2 girls are Lauren and Jekayla. I have that Wilson Central has the other girl, one of the Page sisters. I have heard that Soddy Daisy has a boy, and I beleive that Wilson Central has the other boy. Regardless, Congrats to all. It is a great honor to be selected as a finalist. Enjoy the night and I will be there to support all the finalist.

What's it matter anyway? If you didn't realize it was a joke last year when they gave it to a sophomore over 2 seniors then you need help. Big surprise that Wilson Central is in both this year, especially considering their coach works for Symrna now. Symrna controls everything with the state tournament. Mr and Miss Bowler aren't even real TSSAA awards that is why they aren't posted on their website. If TSSAA thought they were real they would be posted with Mr. Football and Basketball. I wouldn't put stock in the Mr and Miss cause last year the girl who won individual's was only a runner up and Miss bowler didn't even make the top 6. The boy who won state wasn't Mr. Bowler either. So that tells you they didn't pick the best for the awards. Maybe they should wait and decide the winner after individuals then you really would have the best.

These two awards are given for seasonal accomplishments. They are awarded based on how you perform over the course of the season, as well as your academic career and community involvement. They are not based only on the individual tournament. And for that matter, the award is an award issued by the Tn. Bowling proprietors. TBPAA

Commandopride--thank you. CHSbowler-thank you.

Bowlingrules--you don't deserve a response but if you have ever read my post you would know that I don't like the bashing of anyone. Sounds to me like maybe you didn't get the award and you are bitter. Not sure and don't care. You have no right to belitte anyone who did receive the award or the nominations or the qualifiers. My child was nominated as I'm sure a ton of others were, just because I think they are the best doesn't mean they are. If it is based off the season and a sophomore accomplishes more then they should get it. I think the whole award should be explained better because I didn't know any of the things that were typed on here and I myself thought it should go to seniors, as something you should work for your entire high school career. So perhaps the confusion over how it is awarded should be explained better then maybe there wouldn't be hard feelings. Anyway congrats to all the finalist, I'm sure they all deserve it.

What's it matter anyway? If you didn't realize it was a joke last year when they gave it to a sophomore over 2 seniors then you need help. Big surprise that Wilson Central is in both this year, especially considering their coach works for Symrna now. Symrna controls everything with the state tournament. Mr and Miss Bowler aren't even real TSSAA awards that is why they aren't posted on their website. If TSSAA thought they were real they would be posted with Mr. Football and Basketball. I wouldn't put stock in the Mr and Miss cause last year the girl who won individual's was only a runner up and Miss bowler didn't even make the top 6. The boy who won state wasn't Mr. Bowler either. So that tells you they didn't pick the best for the awards. Maybe they should wait and decide the winner after individuals then you really would have the best.

Bowlingrules,

Please don't bash the finalist, it is a honor, and I am sure they all deserves to be a finalist. Don't be bashing Wilson Central either, The Page girl should be a finalist, and I don't like it when people spread romors or bad information, the reason I was told that neither Sr. was Miss Bowler last year was because they were from the same school and split the middle Tennessee votes. The girl from Hardin County that won Miss Bowler was individual state runner up and helped her team to a state title. Everything starts off in someone else hands and TSSAA adopts it later. You have a good point, maybe wait to the state is completed. Please don't bash the finalist, start your topic and talk all that you want.

Not bashing any bowler just the hype for an award that is obviously based off a few opinions. You say it's the TBPAA okay who makes that up..oh wait it is the bowling alleys. I work for one and I asked. We don't get to vote, didn't even know they helped give it out maybe it's because we don't own like a hundred and don't have pull. So who on the TBPAA gets to decide?

Doesn't anyone want to know who makes the decision? Are you all really that easy? If you told me you shot a 300 I want to see the ring. If you're telling me these are the 3 best high school bowlers then let me see how you decided it, cause I still say the 3 best are the 3 who finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in individuals.

Not bashing any bowler just the hype for an award that is obviously based off a few opinions. You say it's the TBPAA okay who makes that up..oh wait it is the bowling alleys. I work for one and I asked. We don't get to vote, didn't even know they helped give it out maybe it's because we don't own like a hundred and don't have pull. So who on the TBPAA gets to decide?

Doesn't anyone want to know who makes the decision? Are you all really that easy? If you told me you shot a 300 I want to see the ring. If you're telling me these are the 3 best high school bowlers then let me see how you decided it, cause I still say the 3 best are the 3 who finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in individuals.

the award is not handed out solely on the basis of successful bowling and it certainly shouldn't be. While their success on the lanes is the most important attribute, academia and community involvement are involved. The award is given based on nomination forms sent in all around the state and a committee decides from there. In the years past, the top seasonal averages in the state on the guys side won the award. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. Both players, myself included, were also successful in the other two categories. The winners of this award, and yes the sophomore last year matt Lyon, deserved what they recieved. They were the most deserving, and based on this thread, you're the only one around who seems to disagree.

Ok this is my thought on the whole thing. Mr. and Miss. bowler is a joke. Its to political.. 1st off it should only be given to a senior with good academics and accolades. I mean don't get me wrong I'm sure they are well deserving candidates but i know there are more qualified bowlers out there who are getting snubbed.. I mean where is that Overton bowler who won state last year, I mean my friends told me he was involved in helping with Special Olympics and that he went to Vagas this year for a National Tournament and got selected to bowl with Special Olympics. I mean I would say thats really good community service, and I believe he has good grades. I mean if it is based on grades, community service, and bowling skills the Kid should be nominated because until someone beats him he is technically still the best in the state... I mean also you should consider what houses people bowl in because a 220 average at Hermitage or Soddy Daisy house is a 200 or 205 at Smyrna or Tusculum.Again this award is nothing but politics and it should only be given to a senior. They should take a look at this award and if something doesn't change they should do away with the award.. See everyone at state..

I understand the frustration of some of the posters here, but I am not sure everyone truly understands this award. The other Mr. and Miss Sports awards are awarded primarily on achievement in that sport while this award is based on wider achievements than just bowling. If it was just achievement, there would still be a dispute, imo.

The present information is submitted by the coach of each team. The form is sent to each bowling coach in the state. The information requested includes GPA, bowling average in the bowler's home center and their scores in each additional center where they compete. Also requested is their average in any other leagues that they participate in during the current season. Public service and other activities is the final factor included on the form along with an area for the coach to add his/her comments on the bowler.

The award is generated from the bowling proprietors in TN and a committee is formed to make the final decision. I am not sure of the criteria for deciding which proprietors are responsible for the final decision. I have been consulted about various bowlers when I did not have a bowler nominated in the category in past years. I was not consulted this season, but I must admit that I was surprised that Aaron Davidson from our Columbia Central team did not make the finals this year. He is a warrior on the lanes and has been in the top 4 averages in the state for all 3 years of his varsity years, so he/we have every reason to be upset at an omission.

I was also surprised that Stephen Roberts did not make the list after winning the individuals last year. The previous year winner should have a head start on the field since they do it after the award is presented annually.

Hello Everyone !

My Name is Kelly Marlin and i am the chair of the TSBPAA Mr/Miss Bowling Committee. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their feedback, both positive and negative, on the selection process. Your feedback is vital to making these awards as successful as possible.

First let me provide some information which may help everyone understand how the committee is selected and in turn how finalists are selected. Committee members are selected from across the state and have a varied background. Included in the mix are former high school coaches, current collegiate coaches, BPAA proprietors and state USBC officials. If you or someone you know would like to serve on the committee please contact me at the email below. Let me assure each and every one of you that the members of the committee have no hidden agenda or any bias for or against anyone. Our only goal is to select the 3 most qualified candidates in each category from among the very best bowlers our state has to offer.

The committee meets for several hours as the candidates for Mr/Miss Bowler are examined. Each nomination is read by all of the committee members and each member records his or her notes on the nominees. After all of the nominees have ben reviewed the committee discusses each candidate and the top 3 candidates are selected. Finally, each member must cast a ballot for their first, second and third choice for Mr/Miss Bowler. Ballots are then tallied with each first place vote worth 5 points, second place 3 points and 3rd place 1 point. The bowler with the highest point total is awarded Mr/Miss Bowler.

Committee members may determine how they weigh each part of the nomination form. The form is quite extensive and encompasses overall average and average in every center bowled during competition. Morever, the nominees average in youth leagues, previous years placement in the TSSAA Singles Tournament, match play record and finishing average in relation to other bowlers in their district/region are involved in the selection process. Last but not least the nominees grade point average, community involvement and extracurricular activities are examined.

Let me close by addressing a few things mentioned in earlier posts. Please say what you will about the committee but i encourage you to please refrain from ever bashing the bowlers. These are exceptional bowlers and exceptional human beings and deserve their accolades. The award is presented during the TSSAA State Tournament for accesability and prestige reasons. Most of the candidates have family members with them and are already at the tournament. It also is given during a reception for all TSSAA players which provides larger crowds and more excitement for the nominees. Last year over 200 people attended the event and seating was at capacity. If you have never attended let me urge you to drop in this year. We have free food and beverages as well as door prizes and it hopefully serves as a way for the athletes to mingle in a non competitive environment. I would also like to personally thank each coach that nominated athletes this year. I realize that it is discouraging when your bowler isn't chosen however i can promise that each nominee was given equal consideration. I would love to think we get it right every time but alas none of us is omniscient and mistakes can be made. Please let your bowlers know that we were impressed by each and every one of them and that they are truly an honor to our sport.

Thank you for reading my long winded post and i look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.

Regards,

Kelly Marlin

kellymarlin@comcast.net