Mr. and Miss Bowler

proudbowlingmom

Kelly,

Thank you for trying to explain, but I'm still perplexed.. You said yourself one part is based on where they place in the State Individual Tournament. If this is the case then last years State champion should have been picked I mean he won last year and finished 16 the year before. He had a higher average this year at every house he bowled at.. I mean a couple of the nominees didn't even make the top 10 so that must not be looked at. I guess reading about these kids on paper is more dependable then seeing them in person!! I mean then you can see how talented all of the bowlers really are and you would see that your selections were good but they were questionable.. Don't get me wrong I AM NOT BASHING any of the bowlers they are all talented I just don't understand how those particular 3 were chosen if everything you said was considered.. I seriously believe if the criteria is not explained better or even changed then this award should no longer exist and let the best in the State and Mr and Miss bowler be determined by where they finish in the State Tournament..

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the long winded replies but you still haven't convinced anyone. Sounds like a good politican if you ask me. Don't say it is made up of certain people, list the people involved and we as intelligent people can make the decision. CCH said the bowling proprietors gave out this award, I asked our owner..nope never been asked. So I called some of the other centers on the BPAA website and not one of them said they had ever been asked to be on the committee, so I would assume that only Smyrna and maybe Hermitage are involved, cause I know a certain coach is highly involved in the USBC. I spoke to one that sent me to their headquarters and they said they own a bunch of bowling alleys like 13 or something and according to them to their knowledge not 1 of them has ever been asked. They didn't even know the TBPAA gave out the award! Found it funny that TBPAA doesn't have a website and the phone number goes to the BPAA, maybe we're not suppose to know who makes up the TBPAA committee.

So unless your willing to list who the committee members are after each year, you can't say it's not biased. Because it doesn't matter who you are you want your school, your region, your bowler to win and noone can turn that off just cause you say so. Your gonna vote for your buddies cause you might need their vote next year. Kelly you shouldn't even be on the committe considering the coach for 2 of the bowlers chosen works for you. So really there was no biased voting, that's about as real as me saying I bowled a 301.

For Stephen or Aaron neither one to be one of the top 3 is unbelievable. Their accomplishments speak for themselves. Everyone in the state knows who they are, haven't heard of some of the other ones. J

Well, it really sounds as if we have two current or former bowlers who feel they've been overlooked! I don't believe Mr. Marlin could have been any nicer, or explained the process any more clearly than he did, yet he still gets "thrown under the bus!" Let's look at this award another way: How wonderful is it that the TBPA takes money to pay for these awards each year? Very! And how about the committee members, who I am sure take time out of their lives to come meet, for NO compensation? Great people and "thanks" for what you do. As a parent of youth bowlers, I appreciate anyone who gives of their time to help the kids in ANY way.

To bowlingrules & pbabound0310, I believe the process for THIS award is fine. If you are looking for an ADDITIONAL award for the INDIVIDUAL STATE CHAMPION, then call TSSAA. They already give awards to the bowlers who excel in this ONE event. Additionally, the Tennessean newspaper gives honors each year for an "All-Midstate Team" and "Bowler of the Year" - and every year, the B.O.Y. award ends up being one of the Individual State Champions. I personally don't think a Bowler of the "YEAR" award should be given to a person for a great performance in ONE EVENT over two days...just my opinion. But I am not bashing the Tennessean, or asking them to discontinue the award, because it is a great honor for those who receive it! (Plus, I like reading about bowling in the paper!) And the MR & MISS BOWLER award should be given the same respect. So, why don't we all try to be a little nicer, respect what we have, and encourage all HS bowlers to practice and excel and hopefully, win some awards along the way!! :thumb:

Well i would like to throw in my two cents here if its alright with everyone. The Mr. and Miss Bowling awards are a great addition to the already bundle of excitement we all know as the State Tournament. I feel that the award is based pretty fairly. I am unbiased at all die to the fact I never had a chance to receive the award and i have seen those who have won the award and to this date I haven't questioned any of the outcomes. No matter what bowler is selected for the award there will always be people who think someone else is better. If that person is voted for the award everyone needs to be respectful and congratulate that person. The top 3 candidates obviously were the best 3 to receive the award or they wouldnt be there to begin with. I have talked to several coaches around the midstate and not a single coach has disagreed with the choices or the system in which the award is given out. Instead of disgracing the award with rude comments about those who are governing it and those who receive it, step back and look at this with a positive attitude. Each year one lucky bowler gets to feel special. They get the respect of everyone in the room as they stand on stage and get rewarded for their accomplishments and their hardwork. Whether you disagree with it or not just accept that fact that it is what it is. Lets not disrespect anyone else who has anything to do with this award and lets just congrate those who have won and those who will win this award. Bowling has come a long way in the last 10 years in this state so lets keep it moving forward. :thumb:

Thanks,

Kyle Barnes

Great post, Kyle. Too bad the award started after your HS career was over. You would have won it hands down for your performance and leadership, imo. What would CoachT be without a little drama each year, though. Kelly did a great job explaining it and the committee in many cases only has the paper in front of them and do not get to witness these youngsters in actual competition. I would like to see the vote take place on Thursday evening when the individual tournament is conducted, after the judges have observed the nominees actually bowl in competition. The presentation could take place at the completion of the individuals or done on Friday night at the same location as it is now. It would have more of a performance based winner if the judges saw all of the nominees bowling on the same condition at the same time with the same consequences at stake.

Wow I certainly didn't mean to stir up this much drama but I do think it's good that it did. Feedback is important on any event. I have read all the post. I must save some upset me and some educated me but most have good points.

The issue to me seems to be that the bowlers themselves do not understand this award or what is expected of them to acheive it and since this is about the kids shouldn't they understand it?

Maybe the way they are going about it is not the best way, but I kind of see their frustration. They have worked really hard as well as probably a 100 other kids and in their mind they have done everything asked of them. To my knowledge and please correct me if I'm wrong but after the vote there is no feedback to the bowlers who didn't win, maybe there should be. I'm not saying they need to know who voted what but a kid with a high 200 average a 3.5 GPA and 100 hours of volunteer work who didn't get selected should be told why. Maybe the other kid had a 3.6, a 200 average and 200 hrs of community service. Again feedback is just as important to our young people. Sometimes adults forget that they are just younger versions of us and they have the same emotions and thoughts we do. If we felt someone wronged us we would want to find out why, that is all these bowlers are trying to do. I don't agree with how they are going about it some of the comments were just wrong and hurtful, but again they are younger than us and with age and experience they will learn how to address issues with more respect, hopefully.

I do think some changes are needed because this should always be about the young men and women representing our sport and their opinion and feelings do matter no matter what manner they are expressed in. An award that causes this much controversary seriously needs to be looked at. (on a note this is not the first year there has been comments made, I have heard them every year from bowlers from all over the state). If you had standard requirements for submission such as at least an A GPA ( I think that is a 3.4 but not sure, at least a 200 average for boys and a 185 for girls, and 100 hours of community service, each bowler would know what is required to even be considered and then it becomes the bowler's choice as to how much they are willing to work for it.

I like the idea that it be selected after the first day of individual competition because anyone can look good on paper, but watching them bowl and seeing how they carry themselves and how they represent their schools or the sport is important. I would also like to see it go to a senior, a goal to work for all 4 years and take into account what they have accomplished their entire high school career.

By no means am I taking away from the finalist this year or the past years, they all deserve it and everyone should congratulate them. I would hope for this year we can all come together and congratulate these fine young men and women. To them this is exciting and if you were one of them you would feel the same way, so please respect the bowlers and let them enjoy the spotlight.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Alot good points being brought out, I talked to couple of the coaches that had kids not make Top 3 in state this afternoon, that could have easily been there, but I will tell you all the kids in the top 3 also deserve to be there.

I will hit on one point, the coaches need to do better job with some of the players applications. Several of these apps. came in with very little info on them. The committee needs all info possible to get to know the kids better. If kid has low GPA and is working basically a full time job and bowling and doing school work at same time, this would show the kids character and would give committee chance to weigh his or her GPA from different stand point. This award like others are subjective, so people submitting kids for the award need to bring the whole picture to the committee, this award is to honor the whole package.

I believe Mr. Marlin will listen to the complaints and suggestions and make every effort to change the system if it needs to be, he will go to coaches and other figures and try to make the award process better.

I know that some of the coaches will be making suggestions to Kelly on how we can make it better. For anyone to post something against Kelly's character is not to smart, this man has done nothing but try to do everything in his power to make High School bowling legitimate, such as this award , and the state singles title. So, if your are attacking someone's character you need to look elsewhere.