Help with High School player elgibility question

Roba22

Need you to help me finish an argument I'm having with some friends. reason it came up is because it could happen next year to a school we know.

ok you have a high school player who has played a sport the first two years of their time while attending a high school. That school is a private school but does not allow financial aid. This School just decides to cut/ delete that sport program and not have any team the next season. Is that player allowed to?

1. Player can transfer to any school but will have to sit out a year?

2. Player can transfer but must enroll and attend another school with no sit out rule?

3. Player can go play that sport at any school while still attending their old school.

4. player can transfer to another school, enroll and attend school while playing that sport, once season is over transfer back to their old school with no problems and finish out their year? I believe that (2.) is correct and I have to wonder about (4.).. anyone know the rule?

check tssaa.org but, if I am not mistaken he would have to apply for a hardship with the tssaa to play sports for another school, that is if the school closes.

David Brainerd students had to apply for a hardship when their school decided to close this year. check the website so that you have the correct information.

I believe it is # 3, I am not exactly sure how it reads but basically if your child is attending a school and the School does not offer a sport your child plays ( wrestling,soccer,hockey,ect) providing they meet TSSAA eligbility rules, (grades,ect) they can go to a connecting county that provides that sport, or if a connecting county does not provide it the closest one. Waverly has a "feeder school" that several kids have played football,baseball in the past. Hickman county does not Offer Wrestling and some kids have in the past went to Dickson and Fairview to be on the team. One kid we had here a few years ago was a excellent Hockey player, he had to go all the way into Nashville to be on a team.

In order to go to one school and play at another you have to have a cooperative agreement between the two school. This must be approved by the TSSAA. If you transfer to another school it can't be for athletic reasons, unless you have a situation like this and then you will have to file a hardship with TSSAA.

Lots of different opinions on this topic, here is mine. I believe if a school drops a sport entirely, then a student at that school can participate at another school that offers that sport without having to sit out. But in the case of a private school student participating at a public school, I believe that school would have to be the public school that the student is zoned to attend if they were not attending a private. If their public zoned school doesn't offer the sport either, then I'm not sure how it would be determined where they could attend. Interesting scenario.

Ok so it sounds like it could go a couple different ways and while doing a search on TSSAA I could not really find the right answer. This is what I know. I will leave names out as it is just a rumor at this time. a private school is considering dropping a sport completely. A sport that has both a high school and middle school teams the last 5 years. If this was to happen what would the students who played this sport do? for the to be seniors they would like to finish their last year at the school they have attended the last three years. And some could even have a chance to play in college so to go without playing their senior year would kill that chance. That’s why I asked if the students could still attend that same school. and then just drive over and play this sport at another school? If they can what are the rules behind this? has it ever happened before? the strange thing here is they are Private school kids. and I'm sure some would like to play at another private school team. can just any school take them? is that fair for that school to take these kids who should not be playing for them in the first place? What if that team then went on and won state. is it fair to the other schools?

If a student's family moves to another school district he can play without sitting, there must be prove such as utilities etc and otherwise he has to sit a year unless of a paticular case such as you mention here then the tssaa must hear the request and rule on elgibility.I know of students playing other sports at other schoola when that paticular sport is not offered.

I believe it is # 3, I am not exactly sure how it reads but basically if your child is attending a school and the School does not offer a sport your child plays ( wrestling,soccer,hockey,ect) providing they meet TSSAA eligbility rules, (grades,ect) they can go to a connecting county that provides that sport, or if a connecting county does not provide it the closest one. Waverly has a "feeder school" that several kids have played football,baseball in the past. Hickman county does not Offer Wrestling and some kids have in the past went to Dickson and Fairview to be on the team. One kid we had here a few years ago was a excellent Hockey player, he had to go all the way into Nashville to be on a team.

I live in Waverly and they have no feeder school. Now in New Johnsonville the kids attend Lakeview elementary but go to high school in Waverly because there is no high school in New Johnsonville. Lakeview students and Waverly students in Junior high play football together but that is it.

As to the answer to the real question, I believe the student can play at another school with permission from the TSSAA as long as the school they attend doesn't offer the sport. I would be leary of doing that because of the ramifications of kids treating the kid differently as in (you don't go to my school, parents-they shouldn't play ahead of my kid since he goes to school here) see what I mean. But good luck. Best bet is to talk to the TSSAA people.

• 2 weeks later...

If he transfers schools he can apply for hardship and hope to have it granted, or have a physical address move. Otherwise he must sit for one year if he transfers. As another poster stated if he stays at the school and wants to play the sport at a nearby school the two schools must have a TSSAA approved co-op agreement.