Sweetwater

5wide

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Sweetwater is that since Bill Dupes Retired, the reputation for the program went with him. It seems that coaches are only given two at the most three years (sometimes not that much)to turn around a program that needs a long term adjustment. It's really hard for coaches to take a team that they know little about and try to assess strengths and weaknesses and make the necessary adjustments in only a matter of months. These aren't the state championship teams of old. The community doesn't support the school and sports like it should. Students/players aren't showing the commitment needed to get things back on track(which starts at home!). Alot of things need to change before the football program will change. When that happens, Sweetwater will be back kicking on all 8 cylinders instead of one.

• 3 weeks later...
Sadly, Sweetwater is having the same problems as we are having in Meigs. Lack of leadership with a lack of community pride is destroying our programs. It won't be a quick fix for either program.

SELL THE FARM THEN GET MIKE MARTIN BACK.

Look at both programs since he left. :blush:;):blush:;)

AMEN!!!! (SEE MY REPLY IN THE FIRST SWEETWATER POST!!

Word in Clinton is that the job has been filled by our Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator, Richie Marsh. Staff says he told them yesterday. He was also the Head Softball Coach at CHS. Good coach did alot to bring us back to respectability at Clinton. I am surprised no one knows in Sweetwater. We will miss him, but the dragon wagon will keep rolling in the right direction.

I am not sure about all of these for a timeline. I know Coach Marsh started as a coach at Alcoa and has been a part of a championship staff there. He went with Meadows to William Blount, then on to Maryville College as an assistant. He came to Clinton as the Defensive Coordinator, moved to offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. His offense has been high scoring the last few years. Of course, he had some great athletes at Clinton the last few years. I am pretty sure they have averaged over 30 points for the last two years while he was coordinator. He has a good background as his Dad was a head basketball coach for many years. He will be successful while there if he has athletes to work with. I will have to wonder about his longevity because he may wind up being a hot commodity if he gets that program turned around quickly. You will not be disappointed.