Tyner at Brainerd....

Turtle

Uh I was in attendance for this game and I must say WOW.... Once again let me say it again WOW WOW WOW. These two schools must really hate one another because I've never seen anything like this. But I'm not going to get into that.. But what's the outcome of the game? Are they/did they finish the game or will they just give Tyner the 1 point win considering the fact they were up by 1 when all heck broke loose?

Another thing, what's up with Tyner Lady Rams coaching staff? They were sitting down the whole game even during timeouts... That's not coaching there.. I felt bad for for those girls because those coaches act as though they didn't care about them.

But what's the word on the boys games?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turtle, Tyner won by 4. I don't think the teams hate each other. The atmosphere is amped up by immature adults and even more immature teenagers. Neither realizing that you can support your team without being negative to the opposing team. I wouldn't classify this as a Tyner/ Brainerd issue though (not saying that you were). It's across the board. Grown children & immature adults (ironic).

nothing new here with Chattanooga basketball. Im sure some of you remember the incident back at the UTC arena during the jamboree back in 95

not only do i remember it but i was coaching when the melee occurred. very scary trying to protect your kids from that crap. tyner/brainerd is one of the great rivalries in all of tennessee high school basketball. very unfortunate that a game like this was marred by such behavior.

T-Mac, I'm in total agreement with you. Initially, I was excited that the district tourney would be held in Hamilton County (not to mention the region), but after Friday night, I think the venue needs to be changed. There's too much negative behavior associated with Brainerd right now. In an article in the Chattanoogan, Brainerd's principal tried to indirectly re-direct some of that negative press towards Tyner, by suggesting that only 1-2 students involved in 4-5 fights were from Brainerd. LOL. That didn't appeal to my common sense (neither did the fights). I'm supposed to think that Tyner students waited all week to fight each other @ the Brainerd/Tyner game. Don't get me wrong, most fights take place because of an audience, but 30-40 yelling "fight, fight, fight..." is enough to satisfy that requirement. If I had a say in the matter, they should hold the district & the region at East Hamilton. My 2nd choice would be East Ridge (district only). Nothing against Brainerd. It's just associated with too much drama right now & I just wanna enjoy some good basketball.

T-Mac, I'm in total agreement with you. Initially, I was excited that the district tourney would be held in Hamilton County (not to mention the region), but after Friday night, I think the venue needs to be changed. There's too much negative behavior associated with Brainerd right now. In an article in the Chattanoogan, Brainerd's principal tried to indirectly re-direct some of that negative press towards Tyner, by suggesting that only 1-2 students involved in 4-5 fights were from Brainerd. LOL. That didn't appeal to my common sense (neither did the fights). I'm supposed to think that Tyner students waited all week to fight each other @ the Brainerd/Tyner game. Don't get me wrong, most fights take place because of an audience, but 30-40 yelling "fight, fight, fight..." is enough to satisfy that requirement. If I had a say in the matter, they should hold the district & the region at East Hamilton. My 2nd choice would be East Ridge (district only). Nothing against Brainerd. It's just associated with too much drama right now & I just wanna enjoy some good basketball.

I wouldn't punish Brainerd for this.. I mean, one or two, or even 3 or 4 students shouldn't keep Brainerd for hosting this event. I have been to 2 Chattanooga team games this year and both games there was a fight that occurred. The first game was Tyner at Howard, there was a fight there.. The second game was the Tyner at Brainerd and it was a fight well let me rephrase that, some fights there. But I'm hearing whenever Brainerd and Tyner plays one another things like these are similar so my question is why punish them for a couple students acting like they don't have home training? What if the people who got in a fight wasn't apart of neither school, do you still want to punish Brainerd?

I've never seen anything like what happen last Friday, but its just immature kids being immature kids. I wouldn't punish the Brainerd community because of this..

Turtle,

I don't recall a fight at the Tyner vs. Howard game(s), but it may have occurred outside or after the games. The suggestions that I made were not only in response to Friday's incident, but previous newsworthy incidents at Brainerd with the potential for a bad outcome. I'm choosing not to delve deep into those incidents because I, like you, believe that they do not represent Brainerd's faculty, students, nor the basketball Panthers & Lady Panthers. At issue is the negativity associated with Brainerd right now and the comfort level at which fans feel they can come & enjoy an evening of basketball.

So my suggestions were definitely not meant to punish Brainerd's Basketball Program, but to consider the 1,000 or so paying fans. However, I can see how it would could be viewed as punishing Brainerd.

By the way, I'll be the 1st to admit that it could happen anywhere @ any game (My understanding is that there was also a fight at the Hixson vs. Central game, but no write-up or discussion on that one).

Out of respect for both schools, I won't discuss this aspect of the game anymore, but will offer my 2 cents on what occurred on the court :lol: