Small Rural Schools

TheEgoHasLanded

I have noticed that whenever we talk about public schools in other classifications playing private...we always hear the excuse..."Cus they want to get better"

While that is a very noble excuse, and I do believe that is honestly what Brentwood Academy vs BHS for example is all about, Everyone agrees that this is a valid point, and it is well known that BA and BHS will not run into each other at the state playoffs, so let us look at the 1a level.

We have said that this debate centers around private schools located within metropolitan areas or around there, and how the small rural schools can not match up well with them...

The small rural schools have not been going to the state playoffs and advancing very far anyway correct? Sure Collinwood and Cloudland are...but what about the other schools who are griping about losing? Their teams are below average to mediocre at best, and shouldn't even worry about playing the private schools in the playoffs due to the fact that they don't really have much chance in the first place!

Ego,

I can think of a few championship-caliber small rural 1A schools that you did not mention. Take Ezell, USJ and CPA out of the equation, and there may have been more.

If you put the 1A coaches into a room together, without the private coaches being present, you would almost have a consensus...the 1A coaches would want to move the privates up.

What started the split? In simplistic terms, it was large public schools who didn't want to play private schools in championship games. There have been 2A schools moving up to 3A to avoid the privates. It is not a small rural school issue.

At least 90% of all public school coaches do not want to play private schools. The schedules speak for themselves.

When the issue is debated, the framework of the public schools' collective mindset must be acknowledged. Most of the public schools developed a system to get rid of the private schools.

The debate centers around all public schools and always has. Philosophically, I think the small, rural 1A schools have suffered the most in the new classifications. The 1A schools who desire to not play against private schools is logical and rational -- when you consider what created the new classifications (split).

Most public coaches and administrators have the perception that private schools have an advantage...and most (at least 90%) of the public schools do not want to play private schools in 2002.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

I have noticed that whenever we talk about public schools in other classifications playing private...we always hear the excuse..."Cus they want to get better"

While that is a very noble excuse, and I do believe that is honestly what Brentwood Academy vs BHS for example is all about, Everyone agrees that this is a valid point, and it is well known that BA and BHS will not run into each other at the state playoffs, so let us look at the 1a level.

We have said that this debate centers around private schools located within metropolitan areas or around there, and how the small rural schools can not match up well with them...

The small rural schools have not been going to the state playoffs and advancing very far anyway correct? Sure Collinwood and Cloudland are...but what about the other schools who are griping about losing? Their teams are below average to mediocre at best, and shouldn't even worry about playing the private schools in the playoffs due to the fact that they don't really have much chance in the first place!

Posted by StanTrott:

Ego,

I can think of a few championship-caliber small rural 1A schools that you did not mention. Take Ezell, USJ and CPA out of the equation, and there may have been more.

If you put the 1A coaches into a room together, without the private coaches being present, you would almost have a consensus...the 1A coaches would want to move the privates up.

What started the split? In simplistic terms, it was large public schools who didn't want to play private schools in championship games. There have been 2A schools moving up to 3A to avoid the privates. It is not a small rural school issue.

At least 90% of all public school coaches do not want to play private schools. The schedules speak for themselves.

When the issue is debated, the framework of the public schools' collective mindset must be acknowledged. Most of the public schools developed a system to get rid of the private schools.

The debate centers around all public schools and always has. Philosophically, I think the small, rural 1A schools have suffered the most in the new classifications. The 1A schools who desire to not play against private schools is logical and rational -- when you consider what created the new classifications (split).

Most public coaches and administrators have the perception that private schools have an advantage...and most (at least 90%) of the public schools do not want to play private schools in 2002.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

Stan...If there is a move for a split, then on what basis would they apply for it? They can`t simply say..."We don`t like playing them". They must have a valid reason for it. On what grounds, in your opinion, would they base their reasoning? :confused:

What was the reason that originally created the split? Financial aid?

Without researching and reflecting on the idea, I would start with the financial aid issue and narrow the definition. I would think all private schools provide some form of financial aid, and I would work toward defining it in more narrow terms. For instance, any type of aid other than aid from the student's family would have to be documented and reviewed.

Another issue would be the male-female ratio of schools. There must be another rational basis for the multiplier, and I would examine it and present it as a factor for creating a split.

Other states have public-private splits, and I would research why and how their splits exist.

I would also (naively I may add) ask all privates and publics to split with the intent of meeting in a Super Bowl Series at the end of the season. The schools could still compete for the state championship, but it would be redefined.

Posted by StanTrott:

What was the reason that originally created the split? Financial aid?

Without researching and reflecting on the idea, I would start with the financial aid issue and narrow the definition. I would think all private schools provide some form of financial aid, and I would work toward defining it in more narrow terms. For instance, any type of aid other than aid from the student's family would have to be documented and reviewed.

Another issue would be the male-female ratio of schools. There must be another rational basis for the multiplier, and I would examine it and present it as a factor for creating a split.

Other states have public-private splits, and I would research why and how their splits exist.

I would also (naively I may add) ask all privates and publics to split with the intent of meeting in a Super Bowl Series at the end of the season. The schools could still compete for the state championship, but it would be redefined.

Stan..it sounds like you`re not really sure. That`s OK. Thanks for answering. I really doubt any of those who want a split can give a reason that would cause the TSSAA to make a total split.

Posted by landersmom:

Hay, TheEgoHasLanded. Don't you have a job or something. You sit on this site and run your mouth all the time. You think the private schools are so much better than the public. I hope Cloudland makes it to state again and plays a private school and beats them. Maybe it will shut you up for a while. ;)

I have to wonder if Cloudland can make it to the Boro w/o home field throughout....

Posted by landersmom:

Hay, TheEgoHasLanded. Don't you have a job or something. You sit on this site and run your mouth all the time. You think the private schools are so much better than the public. I hope Cloudland makes it to state again and plays a private school and beats them. Maybe it will shut you up for a while. ;)

Landersmom...your twisted paranoia about private schools and those who support them really shined bright on that last post. You have no earthly idea what a private school is about and what they are really like. You and many others have preconceived notions about them that are not true. That is one reason it is so frustrating to read posts like yours and others. I know you don`t do it on purpose, but it is just sad that you are so misinformed. Instead of listening to others on here who so adamently want a change, why don`t you try and pay more attention to those who know what it is like to attend a private school and you may be enlightened.