State Duals

HCWC

...and do you know WHY no one in DI complained until now? Because frankly, whatever went on in the DII tournament had no impact whatsoever on the DI tournament in Clarksville. You could have brought in circus monkeys or added a juggling contest and no one in Clarksville would have cared, because it wasn't our State tournament. However, this is the SAME tounament. OUR State tournament, too. That entitles the "other" side to an opinion, doesn't it?

"Grow the sport", "interest in the sport", "a true supporter" of the sport. You guys are so predictable. I know what you'll respond before you ever touch the keyboard. Does the halo over your head or the wings on your back ever get heavy? Listen carefully, No one is against growing the sport, JV tournaments, invitationals, bake sales to raise funds, kids clubs, mat maids, summer wrestling, booster clubs, flowrestling, or whatever else you can list. The question is concerning the uncertainty of a new venue and it's capacity to handle the load, and the appropriateness of having an invitational at the State tournament.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slingshot, you bring up valid questions about this and I agree with you regarding this topic,,,,I think. I want to know what is the purpose for having a DII Invitational tournament, and why have it at the same time and at the same venue as a state championship event? Also, whatever the reasoning is to allow a DII invitational why isn't the DI teams afforded the same opportunity?

Slingshot, you bring up valid questions about this and I agree with you regarding this topic,,,,I think. I want to know what is the purpose for having a DII Invitational tournament, and why have it at the same time and at the same venue as a state championship event? Also, whatever the reasoning is to allow a DII invitational why isn't the DI teams afforded the same opportunity?

It seems to me the DI schools got what amounts to there invitational tournament when coaches voted to make a DI A-AA state tournament. It is great that they get to call themselves state champions. The DII invitational tournament is nothing more than this same thing only done years later to enable some programs that are not as strong as the DIIAAA heavys a chance to wrestle. Did they qualify....no, but neither did any of the DII heavyweight schools. The important thing is that these kids get to compete. The T$$AA makes some more money. It should be a great DIIAAA tournament. Any 1 of 4 teams could win it. Wish I could say the same for the DI-AAA. Until they all get together again (DI coaches will never let that happen)..., we'll just have to settle for two too many team state champions and a happy bunch of DII small school winners. Wouldn't it be great to see Bradley wrestle just one of those schools? How much fun would that be?

It seems to me the DI schools got what amounts to there invitational tournament when coaches voted to make a DI A-AA state tournament. It is great that they get to call themselves state champions. The DII invitational tournament is nothing more than this same thing only done years later to enable some programs that are not as strong as the DIIAAA heavys a chance to wrestle. Did they qualify....no, but neither did any of the DII heavyweight schools. The important thing is that these kids get to compete. The T$$AA makes some more money. It should be a great DIIAAA tournament. Any 1 of 4 teams could win it. Wish I could say the same for the DI-AAA. Until they all get together again (DI coaches will never let that happen)..., we'll just have to settle for two too many team state champions and a happy bunch of DII small school winners. Wouldn't it be great to see Bradley wrestle just one of those schools? How much fun would that be?

CoachKirk, Glad you think the A-AA State Championships amounts to the same as the DII Invitational. I am sure the A-AA schools competing would not agree with you. If it is so important for the weaker DII schools to compete why does it have to take place at the State Championship venue. Why couldn't one of those weaker schools host the tournament and use it for a fund raiser? What does Bradley wrestling anyone have to do with this?

On my gosh!!!!! How does a discussion of holding an invitational tournament (involving 8 of the worst teams in the state) during the state tournament involve Bradley? Leave us out of this. We are not a party in this matter nor will we partipate in any attempted validation of DII.

BB

My post was written to say that coaches in both divisions voted for there respective divisions to have a "small school" tournament at the state duals. How the teams get there was also decided by the coaches. It benefits the kids so we should accept how it is. The T$$AA is all for it because they reap the benefits of more $$$$ being taken in at the venue.

BB; as for bringing Bradley in, I think everyone knows that 4 of the top 5 teams in the state are DII schools. Bradley will walk through their tournament, possibly not losing any more than 4 matches in any single match unless the coach decides to forfiet. My thoughts were it would make for a better tournament. They are a remarkable program and I respect how they have chosen to achieve that. The top 4 DII schools are remarkable programs too. The bottom line is there is going to be 4 happy programs leave the duals. Three calling themselves state champs and one calling themseleves......? Congrats to all 4!!!!

Having an invitational tournament at the same time as the State duals is a joke. I don't care if DI and DII are in the same building or not (as long as facilities permit) but the idea of teams being invited when the others had to qualify is not right.

As far as the facilities go, I was at the NWCA National Duals this weekend and it was not good. After being there and looking at the pictures of the place in Williamson Co I think the fans of TN are going to be disappointed.

1. Dirt floor- Dirt? really?

2. Seating- Seating is far away from the floor and not on a steep enough slope for everyone to be able to see when the floor fills up. I don't believe it will be adequate to fit everyone for the individual tournament. 10,000 to 5,000 seats? How is this "growing the sport"?

3. Atmosphere- TN did a great job of putting on one of the better state tournys i have been to. The facilities and the production were top notch and after being at a tournament in a rodeo arena I doubt it is going to "feel" the same for the wrestlers, coaches, or fans.

I understand that the duals outgrew Clarksville but i can't understand moving the individual tournament. ..........oh yea, I almost forgot........ The director of the tssaa and the director of wrestling both live in the area. and now the tssaa gets to pocket more money. Will the sport see any of this extra profit? We'll see.

Strongbad,

The ancient greeks wrestled on dirt floors. Whats wrong with a little retro? Pulllleasseeeee... The dirt floors are sprayed and hardened and covered multiple times before the mats are laid down. The Ag center also hosts expos and other event where livestock are not involved.

I personally think the wall around the arena is a good thing as it keeps fans in the stands and wrestlers on the floor. The view will be excellent.

Be sure to wear your spurs and chaps..................... :thumb:

Strongbad,

The ancient greeks wrestled on dirt floors. Whats wrong with a little retro? Pulllleasseeeee... The dirt floors are sprayed and hardened and covered multiple times before the mats are laid down. The Ag center also hosts expos and other event where livestock are not involved.

I personally think the wall around the arena is a good thing as it keeps fans in the stands and wrestlers on the floor. The view will be excellent.

Be sure to wear your spurs and chaps..................... :thumb:

I hope you are right, however, I was at a similar venue and it was not good. The floor was bad. The seating was bad. Maybe this place will be better, I hope so.

As far as your logic with the ancient Greeks.......They also wrestled naked and it was socially acceptable for men to keep young male lovers until they were married. You can be as "Greek" as you

want. Retro is singlets that snap in the crotch.

And like my daddy always said......"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I don't mind driving if it is to a better venue for the event. IF. And while we're using cliches "Be careful what you wish for"

"..................nor will we participate in any attempted validation of DII."

BB

Bayou Bear: Is this an indication that it will again be a waste of time for BCB to post the the annual "When will we get to see Baylor and Bradley wrestle?" topic on this board when wrestling starts up again next season?

Strongbad: In keeping with the theme of wrestling on dirt in a agricultural center, for this inaugural year only, all wrestlers who successfully execute the cow catcher for a takedown will receive three points instead of two.

For all you folks who feel inconvenienced, cheated, robbed, unsatisfied or baited-and switched for having to watch a few high schools teams wrestle that did not meet the rigorous qualifying process that only D-I AAA schools go through to get here, the TSSAA has just announced that as a lead-in to the D1-AAA finals match, TNA has been invited to hold its All-Comers, No Qualification Necessary, No Time Limit, No Holds Barred Last Man Standing Championship. Word has it that the WWE will be filing for an injunction tomorrow morning against this match on the grounds if TNA gets invited so should the WWE and every other professional wrestling organization and the wrestling public will be irrreparably harmed by having to watch a wrestling match for which there was no qualification or bidding process. Rumor has it that after looking at the complaint, the trial judge was heard singing : " Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, you look like a fool with your pants on the ground.

Complaints, complaints, complaints. I have honestly seen the Williamson Co. Ag Ctr for events other than rodeos. It is a good facility. Yea the TSSAA will make/save more money, but isn't that the idea in business. .

Good point, except that the TSSAA is not a for-profit business. It is a regulatory body in charge of High School athletics. They made money at UTC, so how does it benefit the kids that wrestle if they make more money?

I hope it is a good facility for wrestling. Have you seen any wrestling matches there?

I never heard anyone that came to see the trad tourament say that the place was too big. All I ever heard was good things. I personally don't care what area of the state the tournament is held as long as it is not a step backwards.

We will see in a few weeks. Maybe it will be the best state ever.

"..................nor will we participate in any attempted validation of DII."

BB

Bayou Bear: Is this an indication that it will again be a waste of time for BCB to post the the annual "When will we get to see Baylor and Bradley wrestle?" topic on this board when wrestling starts up again next season?

Strongbad: In keeping with the theme of wrestling on dirt in a agricultural center, for this inaugural year only, all wrestlers who successfully execute the cow catcher for a takedown will receive three points instead of two.

For all you folks who feel inconvenienced, cheated, robbed, unsatisfied or baited-and switched for having to watch a few high schools teams wrestle that did not meet the rigorous qualifying process that only D-I AAA schools go through to get here,

It's Sunday, I'm bored, wrestling doesn't start on the Big 10 network till 7, so.......

If you "successfully execute the cow catcher", you should have him on his back and get 2 then 3. Lets just call it 6 to keep things simple.

We should all be happy that we get the opportunity to watch sub-par wrestling because these poor teams deserve it.

AND....it's always a waste of time, no matter how many times BCB posts it