Try outs

BigG

At this point at White House we don't have try outs. Any one who can make it thru these 5 weeks of conditioning deserves to be on a high school team. If the numbers are too great, the running gets tougher. We may never make a state tournament again, but a certain standard of play (not skill) is what should always be represented at our school. One day we may have the skill to match with the attitude, but for now we train to make boys into men. I have seen so many average players become great young men because they trained to be the best they culd be; even if they weren't very good players, they were winners. Because of the fine job many in White House have done to build a division III travel club, we may see the need for try outs/cuts one day. For now, we take what we have and mold them into what the program expects. Those who stay will be Champions. Good luck to all this Spring.

Sometimes I wish we had a program that everyone who worked hard deserves to be at least on the JV team. Unfortunately, we only have a certain number of uniforms. I always wish that there will be exactly the number show up for the number of uniforms but it rarely works out that way.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone have any kind of Try-outs in this weather?

I'm with ya. The first day of official try outs it is supposed to flurry and have a high of 39! And since basketball is still in season, getting a gym is almost impossible. Oh well... better bring your winter gear!

With all the snow we have had since last night we had to cancel tryouts today, how many others around the state had to do the same due to weather conditions? Gotta love this weather, I have a feeling we are in for a cold spring!

Yeah our first day of tryouts were canceled due to the bad weather.. Hopefully this will clear out soon so we can get going.

Well, the boards are BORING so far, so I thought I might try to start a topic to see if we could generate any interest, since the season starts in less than 2 weeks!

How do your teams do try outs? Do you have time trials? Fitness tests? Juggling? How many days are your try outs?

Just curious.

This is most likely our last year for doing distance for time trials. Looking at research and talking to the conditioning coaches, intervals or sprints are a much better running test for soccer.

Good to hear that BigG. I have always thought that Coaches put way to much stock in running distance times. Soccer players are explosive players not Cross Country runners.

DeKalb has 5 weeks of conditioning before tryouts. That usually weeds out the ones who don't really want to be there. Like other rural schools we don't have a great deal of soccer outside of the high school team, so we look for dedicated, goal-minded, hard working, young men that want to be successful. Generally, we have to cut a few that just don't have the ability to help the team, but like others have said, we feel the important thing for us to do is build strong, hard working, dedicated young men that are going to be successful in whatever they do. On a side note, we have an athelete that has moved to our school from DB, and he said that you have to make 3 miles in 15 min. to make their team.... WOW!!!

That is the worst thing i have ever heard. Your name implies that your a coach......think about what you said!

By the looks of DB's schedule(posting the whole state tourny), and them having to make 3 miles in 15 minutes, they will be national champions !!!

:x:x:x:x

There's 4 inches of snow on the ground here. Our practice field doubles as our game field. No me gusta. We'll be lucky if we have an outdoor practice this week.

The forecast for next week is rain/snow showers. Anyone else sick of this weather? I'm glad we have access to an indoor facility, but there's not the space to have the 5 games of 4v4 going simultaneously to account for the number of kids we might have trying out. Perhaps conditioning weeded out the ones who don't need to be there.

That, and my assistant had a family emergency and can't attend today. An inauspicious start to the season, to say the least.

We, like you, are fortunate to have an indoor facility to use (though we have to come back to school at 5:00 to use it). Some schools (like Alcoa and Oak Ridge) can't get a gym and HAVE to go outside.

I'm sick of this snow and cold. Tell Al Gore I want some of his global warming, please...