Try outs

BigG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeKalb has 5 weeks of conditioning before tryouts. That usually weeds out the ones who don't really want to be there. Like other rural schools we don't have a great deal of soccer outside of the high school team, so we look for dedicated, goal-minded, hard working, young men that want to be successful. Generally, we have to cut a few that just don't have the ability to help the team, but like others have said, we feel the important thing for us to do is build strong, hard working, dedicated young men that are going to be successful in whatever they do. On a side note, we have an athelete that has moved to our school from DB, and he said that you have to make 3 miles in 15 min. to make their team.... WOW!!!

quote]

We started conditioning January 4th. 90% has been in a gym. We got 1 day outside. Started with 26 trying to do the same "weeding" process. I ended up with 30 players! Who would have thunk it? Now we have a JV. I am happy.

Congratulations CoachMike. This is a good story. It is praiseworthy that young people at your high school seem to want to play for you. All the best this year.

I think it is the 4 field complex the city built. It is really booming for us. We had so many club teams through town last Fall, that they are talking about another hotel. Having it there just makes everyone want to play soccer!

I am getting TOO OLD for this. :roflolk:

Whenever I feel old, I think a pleasant thought that I will NEVER be as old as you are, my friend! :roflol:

Try outs went well. We have a roster of 20, with a jv squad that has 8 full time jv players and about 6 cross over players. This is the first time we have done a cross over squad, so it will be interesting.

All of my returning varsity (and non injured) made their times for the running, which I was very pleased with. The ones that didn't make the time, have some conditioning practices they must attend before stepping on the pitch with a uniform on.

Can't wait to get started! We have a scrimmage a week from today!

I don't know who this transfer from DB was but he's yanking your chain. A 2 mile in 12 min. was required, along with multiple timed sprints & agility drills. Appx. 45 kids have entered into the Try outs and coach Woods has a difficult task sorting out the JV and Varsity. The underclassmen are the best crop of young players I've seen and appears several may make varsity. The schools indoor facilty is a great advantage during the bad weather. Its not full field but it allows for smallsided drills and conditioning even when theres rain and snow. Can't wait to hit the pitch. :thumb: ROLL TRIBE!!!