State Duals Day 1

eaglewrestling84

Just got home from some great rasslin over at the ag center, and i have to say the place impressed me even more than i thought it would. It was warm and had plenty of room, i did not hear one complaint.

D1 AAA

Bradley over ravenwood in the quarters by dominating fashion. Dont know the final but ravenwood won 1 match (152-Freeman over Aguilars backup)

Science Hill over Mt. juliet in quarters (The Hill looks VERY tough this year but i dont think they can overcome bradley in the morning)

Cleveland over franklin (This match was also a big win, Cleveland built up a very nice lead and put Franklin out of it early)

Collierville over clarksville (Didnt watch this one very much)

D1 A/AA

Hixson beat chatt central in semisEast li. over Montgomery Central

Mont. central over East Lit.

D2

These were 2 great semi finals!

Christian brothers clinched with the win at 171 and forfeited the last 2 matches against Baylor in the semis

Father Ryan got a pin at 89 by wesly to lock up the dual and forfeit 215

Both the D2 duals were 1 point matches

*also is this the first time Baylor or Mccallie has not been in the finals?

D2 A/AA The only thing i have to say about this was, did anyone watch St. george wrestle they beat Ensworth 60 somethin to 12 and they beat FRA in the semis 60 somethin to 12. All they do is headthrows BUT they are great at them! They are definatly my new favorite team to watch!

Well hope you enjoyed these tidbits from day 1 :thumb:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from some great rasslin over at the ag center, and i have to say the place impressed me even more than i thought it would. It was warm and had plenty of room, i did not hear one complaint.

D1 AAA

Bradley over ravenwood in the quarters by dominating fashion. Dont know the final but ravenwood won 1 match (152-Freeman over Aguilars backup)

Science Hill over Mt. juliet in quarters (The Hill looks VERY tough this year but i dont think they can overcome bradley in the morning)

Cleveland over franklin (This match was also a big win, Cleveland built up a very nice lead and put Franklin out of it early)

Clarksville over Collierville (Didnt watch this one very much)

D1 A/AA

Hixson beat chatt central in semis

Not sure about this one but i think East lit beat Mont. central

D2

Christian brothers clinched with the win at 171 and forfeited the last 2 matches against Baylor in the semis

D2 A/AA The only thing i have to say about this was, did anyone watch St. george wrestle they beat Ensworth 60 somethin to 12 and they beat FRA in the semis 60 somethin to 12. All they do is headthrows BUT they are great at them! They are definatly my new favorite team to watch!

Correction: Collierville beat Clarksville

East Lit. beat Montgomery Central

The DII semis were worth the price of admission.

D1 AAA

Clarksville over Collierville (Didnt watch this one very much)

D1 A/AA

Hixson beat chatt central in semis

Not sure about this one but i think East lit beat Mont. central

D2

Correction: Collierville beat Clarksville

East Lit. beat Montgomery Central

The DII semis were worth the price of admission.

Thanks Ibhiii! It has been changed

[quote="eaglewrestling84"*also is this the first time Baylor or Mccallie has not been in the finals?

So do they travel well. Has the lack of home field advantage impacted them.

as far as the duals go, they haven't had the home field advantage. It's FR that has, and I'm not sure that has changed. We'll see

Does anybody know if any of the Hurt kids from Baylor wrestled.Pinkstaff and Stavrum are obviously our but what about Watson, Hayes and Shuford? Kind of figured they would sit it out and hope they are better for the individual tournament

Watson and Shufford both wrestled agaimst CBHS. Watson picked up a pin at 119 and Shufford lost a decision at 171.

It did sound as if there was a chance that Trey Stavrum may be able to return just before the state individuals.

I was sitting next to a prominent Williamson Co. coach who said "I can coach any one wrestling moves but what these guys have in heart and determination and the will to pull a move and that the other guys just can not stop is unbelievable". I saw a wrestler (don't remember which weight class) from St. George head throw a FRA kid twice in which the FRA kids feet went above his head (5 point throw freestyle) that was unbelievable.

St. George keep doing what you do and you time time will come real soon :roflolk:

Does anybody know if any of the Hurt kids from Baylor wrestled.Pinkstaff and Stavrum are obviously our but what about Watson, Hayes and Shuford? Kind of figured they would sit it out and hope they are better for the individual tournament

Watson and Shufford both wrestled agaimst CBHS. Watson picked up a pin at 119 and Shufford lost a decision at 171.

It did sound as if there was a chance that Trey Stavrum may be able to return just before the state individuals.

Ghouse:

Did you mean Hayes or Stavrum? I had heard maybe Hayes might get the ankle ready then. If Baylor can get both back for the individuals, that would give them a real boost.

longhorn:

Watson looked good with the pin. But Shuford looked like the shoulder really bothered him. I would be surprised if he wrestles at all today. Looks like we are heading to a Baylor-McCallie third place match. McCallie looked strong against Ryan and will be looking to reverse Monday's regular season match.

Agree with other posters that the D-2 semis were the best matches of the night. The Baylor match was a good example of why coaches pull their hair out and sometimes go ballistic over bonus points. CBHS got two major decisions late in both matches that gave CBHS a 13 point advantage with two weights left, which they correctly forfeited. Without those bonus points, it is an 11 point spread, CBHS has to wrestle, and Baylor has two of its better kids and capable pinners, Ferguson and Helton, finishing for them in.

Kudos to Anthony Simpson of Ryan for a surprisingly quick 52 second pin over Westbrooks. That was big for Ryan. I don't think anyone was expecting a pin there so that was a bonus for The Purple Team.

[quote="

Kudos to Anthony Simpson of Ryan for a surprisingly quick 52 second pin over Westbrooks. That was big for Ryan. I don't think anyone was expecting a pin there so that was a bonus for The Purple Team.

That was it. With Ryan missing 2 starters and the hw injured, I thought McCallie could pull it off. But they had to win at 12 and 19. Those wrestlers had split, so there was a decent chance the blue could do it. The loss at 12 hurt, but the pin at 19 really hurt. Unexpected. Had Simpson been hurt earlier in the year, cause that ain't the same kid we saw early in the season?

Other thoughts, since I was able to make it after all:

-The Brothers should take the finals. Best team they have ever had. The new 103 kid will give Ryan's freshman all he wants and they will dominate the middle weights. Bonus points will decide.

-Baylor and McCallie are young and tough, though they came in with some injuries and left with some more.

-St. George is fun to watch. Note to JPII-head throw defense.

-I don't think E.Lit can stop Hixson but both teams get a lot out of what they got.

-As I thought, Bradley in a yawn fest. They are WAY ahead of the other DI teams in terms of athletic ability, toughness, fan support, and coaching. I was impressed with The Hill though. First time I've seen them wrestle and they have some tough kids. Glad to see that, as that side of the state needs good wrestling.

-Loved the venue, though I was a bit dismayed at how poorly the Chattanooga fans travel. Maybe they are all coming in today.

D1 AAA

Collierville over clarksville (Didnt watch this one very much)

D1 A/AA

Hixson beat chatt central in semisEast li. over Montgomery Central

Mont. central over East Lit.

D2

Well hope you enjoyed these tidbits from day 1 :roflolk:

LAST TME - 1997, Baylor finished 3rd behind Overton and Ryan . McCallie was not there.

D-I and D-II duals started in 1998

b.b.b.