Best Pitcher in the state

Best

In my opinion, there's probably not one best pitcher. However, Michael Connell of Team Worth Gold has put together what has to be one of the best staffs and they're all from middle TN: Caralisa Connell (Siegel and signed w/ UofL), Haley Fagan (Cornersville and committed to UT) and, of course, Casey Vincent (this is HOT off the press...committed to UT-M) has already been mentioned. All are studdettes, but their mental approach is off the charts...and that is what makes each special.

Beech has been and is still loa-ded! Pitchin', hittin', defense, speed, long-ball, short-ball, lawwwd! Thought they'd win it last year, but... It takes more than just talent, luck/blessing, coachin', etc. to win it all. To me, it's the timing of all that. Obviously, Riverdale timed it perfectly last year.

Lets talk about Connell , Fagan, and Vincent. Besides the mental game, what do they throw that makes them an effective pitcher? You are very high on them so I know you have watched them throw a lot.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets talk about Connell , Fagan, and Vincent. Besides the mental game, what do they throw that makes them an effective pitcher? You are very high on them so I know you have watched them throw a lot.

I'm 'very high on them' because of the character and competitiveness they bring to the circle. Each of them give you all they got every time out. As far as individual pitches, I don't really know what their bests are, respectively. I've seen Connell tear corners up. I've seen Fagan change speeds so drastically, it embarrasses hitters...and makes me chuckle. And I've seen Vincent throw movement that made us all say, 'wow!'

Vincent is not the 'flame thrower' the other two are...yet. But, in my opinion, she's got tons of upside and being on this team will bring her talent level up a notch or two. In fact, it already has. Her bat and game IQ are especially strong for a pitcher. Connell and Fagan: Just got it, whatever 'it' is. Obviously, I'm no pitching coach or talent scout, but as a long-time fan I've seen them have good and bad days. Their good days are sometimes UNbelievable. Their bad days are mosts' good days. I've never seen them lose a game they weren't supposed to lose, but I've seen them win games they shouldn't have. I guess it's the intangibles they possess that makes me so high on 'em. Their mechanics aren't much different from most, except maybe the small things their coaches have tweaked. My daughter, who usually gets to play a little defense in HS, is usually bored beyond tears because of these young ladies' talent levels. They have synergy and I believe that's gonna be to our advantage this year...along with our bats. It's fun watchin' 'em, though. Good pitchers make you smile. :popcorneater:

Flamethrower????

I won't get into better, best...they are all good and the ones I know (and I know a lot of them) are quality young ladies that all deserve our respect. The slowest throwing kid on the worst team in the state probably worked harder than I did in school...and probably the majority of the folks that haunt this board. The video you posted was taken on a Saturday morning this fall. Most of the pitches thrown are throw downs and change-ups. They are being thrown from 43 feet so they might look somewhat slower than most of us are used to seeing. (Welcome to 43 feet...it will be interesting.)

I would also tell you that on the Thursday night before this I saw this pitcher go through a weight lifting session that left her so spent she could not raise her hands above her head. In fall that's what pitchers that want to get better do. A lot of pitching coaches don't want them to even play in fall so they can do those work outs.

I remember asking her that morning if she was sore....she laughed and said, "I can't raise my arms".

I look forward to seeing all these young ladies play this spring and summer. All I hope for is they all do their best and stay healthy.

Good luck ladies one and all from all teams.

JV

Flamethrower????

Apparently you have never watched Nunley pitch..She is awesome....with a deadly drop curve that is faster than her fastball..

And...your point (did somebody change the subject)? :ph34r: This video is about one of our catchers...

Not only have I never watched her pitch, apparently, I've never even heard of her. But, that's great! Good luck to you and her... :thumb:

TN Gold Explosion? Renfro left Fury? I saw Casey Vincent pitch at UTM. She has more control over her ball than most and she is just 2011. She is also very smart and could have gone anywhere with her ACT scores. She has much promise and should actually get to pitch in college and not just be a token. I am not from Middle TN. I just saw her pitch and her softball profile. The kid has promise. Renfro has one of the best catchers in the state. It makes a difference. Not sure what Casey has and do not know the others.

TN Gold Explosion? Renfro left Fury? I saw Casey Vincent pitch at UTM. She has more control over her ball than most and she is just 2011. She is also very smart and could have gone anywhere with her ACT scores. She has much promise and should actually get to pitch in college and not just be a token. I am not from Middle TN. I just saw her pitch and her softball profile. The kid has promise. Renfro has one of the best catchers in the state. It makes a difference. Not sure what Casey has and do not know the others.

What pitchers do you consider being college "token pitchers" ?